Marshall micro stack!!

• Thread starter musicman2879
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

musicman2879

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how a Marshall Micro stack compares in sound to a regular marshall combo or stack?? Does it get the same marshall tone from it?? What is the difference in the Lead 12 stack and the MG15 stack?? Buddy has both and wants to sell them to me but i am unsure if i want either of them..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Unless you get it for free it's not worth spending time thinking about.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and agree. Theyre shit. completely.

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
Wait, are we talking about the stack that fits in your pocket, or the Zakk Wylde ministack?

Former makes for a good toy, as does the latter if you don't pay anything for it.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Marshall Amps

Whatever what anyone will say, there's one rule of thumb when buying an amp: try it. Unless you REALLY can't do it (like amps you can't find in your country). Let your ears be the judge.

MG's are OK at best as practice amps (i've owned two before). I wouldn't pay more than 100$ for the whole stack. Might look cool in the corner of a living room...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
actually, the micro stack can kick serious ass.

if i could find my buddy's clips, i'd let you guys have a listen. you'd swear it was his full marshall/orange/rack rig.

get the microstack, i'll try to get a link for those clips.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
actually, the micro stack can kick serious ass.

if i could find my buddy's clips, i'd let you guys have a listen. you'd swear it was his full marshall/orange/rack rig.

get the microstack, i'll try to get a link for those clips.

:agreed:

Expecially with a Bloody murder in front with the drive on 0, or a BBE 362 in the loop.

Great little practice amps.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
no man, this was nothing but i think possibly an MXR doubleshot.

great cleans, great crunch. people rag on the MG's, but its quite possible to get some decent sounds out of one.

as far as practise amps go, i wouldnt mind picking up a 30W MG and havin' some fun. they have a very useable clean channel, and if you are smart with the crunch you should be fine.

here's a link to the site: SoundClick artist: A Travesty of Justice - page with MP3 music downloads

clean: SoundClick artist: A Travesty of Justice - page with MP3 music downloads

dirty (with MXR doubleshot pedal): SoundClick artist: A Travesty of Justice - page with MP3 music downloads

dirty #2: SoundClick artist: A Travesty of Justice - page with MP3 music downloads

people rag on MG's all the time, but its probably cuz most people go "oh look a marshall! put the mids on 2 and rawk out mang!"

musicman2879

Reaction score
Yeah its a Lead 12 w/2 1x10cabs and Lead 15 w/2 1x10cabs...Told me $240 total for both..What ya think.. sell one on the bay and get my money back.. see how long it takes to mess up the other!!!!!!HAHA:mk:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
does it sound to your liking? can you afford it? do you have space?

musicman2879

Reaction score
He said he would bring them when he comes to visit..Man i think i would rather just start looking for a tube head so I can get a real stack going...Besides i have not played on them..I am tired of messing with junk

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
He said he would bring them when he comes to visit..Man i think i would rather just start looking for a tube head so I can get a real stack going...Besides i have not played on them..I am tired of messing with junk

you're aware a full stack is ridiculous overkill for nearly all situations, right? and thats coming from an owner.

you'll be messing around with junk for years to come, trying to find your tone. ;)

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
you're aware a full stack is ridiculous overkill for nearly all situations, right? and thats coming from an owner.

you'll be messing around with junk for years to come, trying to find your tone. ;)

By "junk", i think he meant "low quality gear". I think he wants to settle for great equipment and call it a day (that means bye-bye to the MG stack). And yeah, a full stack is pretty overkill. Those dinosaurs are a thing of the past! :lol:

musicman2879

Reaction score
I have a 15watt practice amp, a 65 watt combo w/12 and a 120watt 2x12 combo...But the good one is about 27 years old.. i think i will get a good head and a half stack.. .. I do play gigs..I have my sound I want..Which i can get from a good quality amp... i just have not played on very many brands of amps.. Quality gear, your right..I sold all 9 of my cheap guitars to buy better ones.. which i am thinking of finding a good affordable head and just lay-it-away...

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
great cleans, great crunch. people rag on the MG's, but its quite possible to get some decent sounds out of one.

as far as practise amps go, i wouldnt mind picking up a 30W MG and havin' some fun. they have a very useable clean channel, and if you are smart with the crunch you should be fine.

people rag on MG's all the time, but its probably cuz most people go "oh look a marshall! put the mids on 2 and rawk out mang!"

First, I had an MG15CDR, so just for the record, I'm not following the sheep here. :lol:

MG's tone doesn't really appeal to me, but tone is subjective. I think anyone in their right mind would agree with that, and if that were the end of the story, MG's wouldn't get such a bashing in forums.

Where they get their bad reputation is through reliability. (This can also be said of Fender FM's, and Line6 Spider 3's). The cheap build of these amps results in a large percentage of the units made failing within a year. Mine started out with a scratchy pot (out of the box, wish I had taken it back then), and then slowly lost volume until finally it just quit altogether. That's just my experience, and it's shared by quite a few.

Now if the amps lasted forever, but still sounded like they do, they would probably not receive all the shit they do. Because they don't sound horrible by most definitions. Just my $.02

musicman2879

Reaction score
well i got a Roland cube for practice..does good. I have a Crate fxt65 that kick's ass and an 120w Austin Combo my grandfather gave me..I like what i have .Got a good practice amp..got a good jam amp and the old Austin that just stays covered at friends house..Time to get some real gear that will work for Band rehearsal and gig's. thought about those stacks cause they seemed like good price..But i have a sound preference. my guess it would be me wasting money..I have seen some of these heads going for $800 and up..thats alot of dough.. i have been gigin with an Ibanez tube head thats a friends.. but he paid like $1700 I think?? way out of my range of money..but i like the sound and it pushes 2 4x12 cabs..I just need a head to push up to a 4x12 cab.. most likely i will only have a 2x15 cab. so i dont know what i doing when it comes to the right watt's along with headrooom.thanks, you all. no more cheap gear for me!!

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
well i got a Roland cube for practice..does good. I have a Crate fxt65 that kick's ass and an 120w Austin Combo my grandfather gave me..I like what i have .Got a good practice amp..got a good jam amp and the old Austin that just stays covered at friends house..Time to get some real gear that will work for Band rehearsal and gig's. thought about those stacks cause they seemed like good price..But i have a sound preference. my guess it would be me wasting money..I have seen some of these heads going for $800 and up..thats alot of dough.. i have been gigin with an Ibanez tube head thats a friends.. but he paid like $1700 I think?? way out of my range of money..but i like the sound and it pushes 2 4x12 cabs..I just need a head to push up to a 4x12 cab.. most likely i will only have a 2x15 cab. so i dont know what i doing when it comes to the right watt's along with headrooom.thanks, you all. no more cheap gear for me!!

What is your sound preference?

Now mind you I'm somewhat biased... But if you can mic up at gigs, a Valve Jr or similar low wattage amp will get you more than enough volume. Add in a Solid Metal like I just did, and you'll have enough gain for anything. :lol:

')