Marshall sounds like ass

• Thread starter axechain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

axechain

ByoSeven
Reaction score
seriously.. every marshall amp that i`ve tried sounded like shit
tried a lot of them from jcm800 to tsl 2000 even an mg series, they all just sound almost the same like all marshalls very thin and dry and their gain section is pointless couse if you add more gain then it`s add just fuzz and muddiness to the sound even laney gh50l with a laney cab sounds much alive and organic then marshall jcm 900 with that scooped mid 1960 lead cab junk and laney costs much less
i`m very dissapointed in marshalls

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
Funny. The Silver Jubilee head and cab I play at band practice sounds great. I boost it with a Boss EQ pedal, and the tone is tight, chunky and fat. Very musical sounding amp.

Of course it's no match for the Engl Blackmore, which can do all the same sounds and more without any pedals, and sounds a lot better.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I love my Laney, I have to give respect to the "JCM800 + boost pedal" tone. The SLX was also a great amp, IMO. The 30th Anny is fucking killer, but rare.

The other 900s, and the 2000s are crappy sounding to me. Too mushy.

Every amp company is going to have something you don't like. ;) There are Mesas I think sound like ass, some Peaveys, etc etc, down the line. Sometimes it's just a matter of preference.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
The only Marshall head i've ever really fallen in love with is the Zakk Wylde JCM800 with a Keeley Modded SD-1 in front. All other marshalls i've played through sounded too thin and fizzy to me. Though I would love the play the much older Super Leads.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Maybe they just don't work well with your equipment, or maybe you just don't spend enough time with them. Any amp is capable of sounding like crap. Marshall probably does get a bit more credit than they deserve, but I've heard a lot of really great tones come out of Marshalls, and so have LOTS of other people. It's more or less the industry standard for a reason. Laneys do sound warmer, smoother, and nicer depending on what you're trying to do with it, but Marshall tube amps like a JCM, JTM, or JMP-1 are great. :shrug:

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
blanket statments like this are infantile and pointless. if you cannot get a good sound from a 1,000$+ amp, maybe the problem is you?

I'd actually say the oppossite.

Gear and tone is a very subjective and personal thing, so if it doesn't sit well with you, then it's perfectly fine to make a blanket statement as long as it's on a personal level.

Different things work better for different people, and it also depends on the guitar, pickups and numerous other factors too. I've used Marshalls before, and I've absolutely no time for them, I just don't find they work for me, be it my style, or my gear.

So yeah, some things just don't seem to work together. The D-Sonic doesn't get on well with my ENGL Fireball, so I'm going to swap it for an Evo7 when I get a chance.

Bottom line is, if you can't get what you want from an amp, be it $1000+ or not, move onto something else.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
blanket statments like this are infantile and pointless. if you cannot get a good sound from a 1,000$+ amp, maybe the problem is you?

While I agree that blanket statements are usually bad, this isn't accurate either.

Try to get a death metal tone out of a $1000+ jazz amp. Try to get a AC30 tone out of a Mesa Recto.

Voicing matters.

Still, saying an entire amp line "sucks" just because you don't like the tone of it is BS.

axechain

ByoSeven
Reaction score
I'd actually say the oppossite.

Gear and tone is a very subjective and personal thing, so if it doesn't sit well with you, then it's perfectly fine to make a blanket statement as long as it's on a personal level.

Different things work better for different people, and it also depends on the guitar, pickups and numerous other factors too. I've used Marshalls before, and I've absolutely no time for them, I just don't find they work for me, be it my style, or my gear.

So yeah, some things just don't seem to work together. The D-Sonic doesn't get on well with my ENGL Fireball, so I'm going to swap it for an Evo7 when I get a chance.

Bottom line is, if you can't get what you want from an amp, be it $1000+ or not, move onto something else.

thanx for clearing the situation:yesway: , that i meant really))
only i got mad cause marshalls cost too :noplease: much for what they are and buying an amp for more then 1000$ with an eq and overdrive\boost pedal is pointless for me.:nuts:
nothing againts the marshallheads tho)))

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Depends what you're using it for. I like the 800's, with a boost pedal they are immense, the old super leads nail the AC/DC tone like nothing else.

Marshalls sound like marshalls, and you won't get a mesa/american metal tone out of them, it won't sound like a 5150 etc etc.

Depends what you want from an amp, i actually decided on a DSL over a dual rec and a JSX ages ago, just had more balls overall, and for the tuning i was playing in worked well. Still wish i'd gone with an 800 instead of the DSL though, but hey :)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
im pretty sure buddy said they all sounded thin and if you add more drive, it gets fuzzy and ugly...which isnt the case. it's been said, marshalls just dont agree with HIM. me, i want to crank up a JCM800, stick a boost out in front, and see what really happens. i've heard a JCM900 - good for what it was built for, it is the punk head imo. however, if you're a modern metalhead, i dont know why you'd look at marshall.

and axechain... we overpay for EVERYTHING. we overpay more for SOME things lol

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i never thought of myself as much of a Marshall guy, either, but my Sovtek Mig 100H, which i've been told is a JCM800 clone, is fucking badass. also, that new Vintage Modern head they have out is pretty fucking cool, too.

my Marshall Valvestate 100 sounded ok, but couldn't keep up with the Sovtek or my Mesa Nomad, so it got sold.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Considering how many great artists have used Marshall, I must admit to being disappointed with their gain. But I think that they work well within the context of a loud band. In other words, if you have another guitarist, bassist, drummer and vocals going, I think they sit well in the mix.

I used to own a 1970's Marshall head and cab. Never had enough punch and squeal to suit me, although the tone was magnificent.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Some marshalls are truly great...

either you played stuff (gear) that sucked or you didn't set them right.

I have played some 800's & 2000's that are great when used right.

Look at NILE....ALWAYs with their marshall rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.
')