Marshall YJM 100 what do you think?

• Thread starter ShredBaron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShredBaron

Reaction score
I am considering buying this new Marshall YJM 100 because it is suppose to be a limited amp (like 150 in the USA and so many worldwide) It has a build in Attenuator, DOD 250 or 308 pedal, noise gate, 50 and 100 watt, and it self bias as a 1959 plexi, those are some pretty awesome features but I already have a Marshall JVM 410H which is pretty good, I use it for my cover band, and I just got a hold of a 1998 hundred watt Marshall DSL that was taken care and this thing is just as mean as ANY 1959 plexi or Mark 2 amp, I also already have a custom DOD Grey Spec pedal, and a ISP decimator so other than the name value, its resale value, and the attenuator factor, I am not sure that selling both my amps to get this one is amp is worth it. I have heard the clips but that does not mean anything, standing in a room with the amp is everything. I can say for example that my Marshall JVM is a more refined and cleaner sound, It is almost like a modeller but with Tubes vs the DSL, which is way meaner and more powerful low end wise than the JVM. The DSL needs a boost but it is scary once I run the boost on it. HAS ANYONE HERE IN THE WORLD not just USA played this new Yngwie Amp and if so what are your opinions, I would like to get some more feedback before I lose 2 amps for a amp I have never heard in person. I like Malmsteens lead tone ( accept for his bridge pickup, I do not care for his rhythm tone) and I think if I had this and a Engl Savage with a Strat with a powerful bridge pickup and a Les Paul custom I could cure my GAS issues, so who has heard this head and played it????? I am not trying to start a war of opinions, tone is subjective and maybe the older DSL heads are better, I have played others that were not so impressive but this one has thump like my old 6505+, It would be REALLY cool to talk to someone who has owned or played both the YJM 100 as well as the other two amps extensively

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
my cousin has one on order, but the shipment is supposed to get in really late. From the clips and descriptions I've read, this thing definitely sounds interesting. I'm with you. I love Malms lead tone. No matter how I dial my invader in, it doesn't quite have that same 'hot plexi' tone. I think this head could be a lot of fun.

I'll definitely post a clip whenever his head shows up.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Why dont you just get a plexi and boost the hell out of it ;)
I bet you play a couple of buckets for the noise gate, DOD and the YJM-logo.
I would be careful buying one without trying ;)

Have you tried boosting your JVM? I use a TS9 in front for metal, rock and leads. Really gives sweet lead tones with lots of sustain. Keep in mind that Yngwie use a stratocaster to get that screaming leads.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Very well appointed amp by all accounts but I wouldn't trust YouTube or other individual's specific dialled-in tones (even if they claim to be Yng's settings) to drop that sort of money on an amp.

If you're after a hot-rodded plexi tone with Noise gate/Digital reverb/DOD 308 pedal etc I would go out on a limb and say that there are cheaper, just as effective options which don't involve paying for the Ferrari badge or Yng's name on it...

Go check it out in person.

:2c:

sapigwoon

Reaction score
I am considering buying this new Marshall YJM 100 because it is suppose to be a limited amp (like 150 in the USA and so many worldwide) It has a build in Attenuator, DOD 250 or 308 pedal, noise gate, 50 and 100 watt, and it self bias as a 1959 plexi, those are some pretty awesome features but I already have a Marshall JVM 410H which is pretty good, I use it for my cover band, and I just got a hold of a 1998 hundred watt Marshall DSL that was taken care and this thing is just as mean as ANY 1959 plexi or Mark 2 amp, I also already have a custom DOD Grey Spec pedal, and a ISP decimator so other than the name value, its resale value, and the attenuator factor, I am not sure that selling both my amps to get this one is amp is worth it. I have heard the clips but that does not mean anything, standing in a room with the amp is everything. I can say for example that my Marshall JVM is a more refined and cleaner sound, It is almost like a modeller but with Tubes vs the DSL, which is way meaner and more powerful low end wise than the JVM. The DSL needs a boost but it is scary once I run the boost on it. HAS ANYONE HERE IN THE WORLD not just USA played this new Yngwie Amp and if so what are your opinions, I would like to get some more feedback before I lose 2 amps for a amp I have never heard in person. I like Malmsteens lead tone ( accept for his bridge pickup, I do not care for his rhythm tone) and I think if I had this and a Engl Savage with a Strat with a powerful bridge pickup and a Les Paul custom I could cure my GAS issues, so who has heard this head and played it????? I am not trying to start a war of opinions, tone is subjective and maybe the older DSL heads are better, I have played others that were not so impressive but this one has thump like my old 6505+, It would be REALLY cool to talk to someone who has owned or played both the YJM 100 as well as the other two amps extensively

Hello...when I first heard this amp it WAS like wow! I immediately was drawn to it. No I'm not an Yngvwie fan by any means...but...damn...I hear the tone coming through and all of the amps I have studied in the last year from the Bogner Goldfinger down to a 3 Monkeys or many more...I was like ok...this is what I am looking for. I was almost going to buy an old 6550 head 1970ish Marshall off Ebay...but damn... that thing has been used and abused by who knows who? Also, you just don't know what your getting when you hear all of these modded amps. I like STOCK stuff. If I am going to buy a Porsche car I am going to buy it with everything that they offer that suit my tatstes. AFter that I am not going to modify it and take it's wheels off to get some other non Porsche wheels...you know. To those that do like to tweek things hey...I admire your balls, but for us that don't know shit about it and just want to play...hey. This amp has an attenuator (powerbrake) that takes you down to .5 watts at the lowest. That's really cool for me living in China who has to consider neighbors on the lower flats. I am from California and I have been looking for an amp that truly resembl4s the recordings of yesteryear with bands such as Y & T. Dave Menneketti ONLY used a Marshall Superlead 1974 with a straight back greenback amp to achieve akll of his glorious tones. Any added affects were done by the engineer. ! When I heard this amp I actually compared it to youtube live and original recordings of Y&T and guess what...they were almost identical. This amp FUCCKING ROCOCKS. I let go of my purchase of a Sanbta Cruz Acoustic guitar just to own one of these gems that Marshall has made. Well, yes, that limits perfect songwriting tone as far as I am concerned. But I will make up for the Santa Cruz later. It suits me. It may NOT suit all but it definetely barks up the street I know best! Deliver the goods! Judas Priest!!

IB-studjent-

Reaction score
just another over hyped amp by Marshall, they should stop making sig heads and focus on the quality of their products.

groph

Reaction score
just another over hyped amp by Marshall, they should stop making sig heads and focus on the quality of their products.

Signature heads/combos like the original Plexi, the Bluesbreaker, and the 1970's Plexis?

I've always liked Malmsteen's lead tones but I probably wouldn't shell out multiple grand for a signature head. The Slash one sounded awesome too, but again, not what I'd play. They look fucking smart, though.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Sounds like a great head even though I dislike yngwie, the only thing is knowing myself I'd be spinning that thing around messing with gate, power and booster a lot. But who wants to spin their head around all the time?

Latest posts

')