Martial Arts

• Thread starter theo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Your camp sounds like great fun Alberto7! And likewise, all the martial artists I've met have been fantastic individuals.

Haha alright it's always been a challenge, but losing form on things I'd once mastered is both interesting and frustrating. My club is pretty small, so everyone there is a personal friend anyway. Pretty relaxed vibe.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I was practicing martial arts long before I discovered music; it was my first passion.

I started out with simple kickboxing as a child, and eventually started to study other styles (such as wing chun) taking from them what was useful and discarding what was not, to the point where I developed my own style that works for me.

Now, I practice around three times per week at home to keep sharp as well as regular weight training in the gym!

What have you abandoned as useless?

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
What have you abandoned as useless?

When talking about martial arts, I'm talking about the art of combat, of self-defence, self-preservation. So to me, the classical "forms", flowery routines and impractical stances in practices such as wing chun and karate are ultimately useless in any kind of real combat application. In such situations, your mind needs to clearly and instinctively go to the effective techniques that will protect you, not to some regimented kata or form.

There is nothing wrong with those things, however, if we're talking about martial arts simply as dance, theatre or tradition...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
Certainly. Outside of forms, any techniques you've rejected?

Nothing major outside of what I've already mentioned; just certain ways of punching, kicking and locking that don't work for me or that I think aren't actually worth the effort when there are better alternatives. Although, as everybody is built slightly differently, with unique strengths and weaknesses, it's something that the individual needs to learn via simple trial and error. I think that training "systems" in general are flawed by that simple fact. They may have many more useful techniques than useless ones, but then why bother with the useless ones? It's far better to discover and develop your own style.

Do you train yourself?

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I've been largely out of training for the last year, save for the occasionally informal pads session in the park with a pal. Went back to BJJ a couple of weeks back but some idiot wrenched my elbow. It seems better now so I'm assuming to return again on Thursday.

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
I've been largely out of training for the last year, save for the occasionally informal pads session in the park with a pal. Went back to BJJ a couple of weeks back but some idiot wrenched my elbow. It seems better now so I'm assuming to return again on Thursday.

A bit of casual padwork is always fun and effective! Better luck with the other members in your class this time, man. Easy on the elbow. Let us know how it goes.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Will do, cheers. Yeah, I've enough knowledge of striking technique and tactics that it's nice to have the opportunities to be creative outwith sparring. And knowing my own weaknesses to focus on. :)

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Good return to class today. I still got tanked by everyone except the wee 125lb lassies who had just started but I had lots of fun and felt like my technical intelligent and awareness improved. And no more damage to the elbow. Everything else is definitely gonna be sore tomorrow, though!

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
Good return to class today. I still got tanked by everyone except the wee 125lb lassies who had just started but I had lots of fun and felt like my technical intelligent and awareness improved. And no more damage to the elbow. Everything else is definitely gonna be sore tomorrow, though!

Haha, sounds like a good class indeed! It's a good thing that you're up against more skilled guys - that's how you learn. You learn nothing if you're always sparring with guys who are less skilled than you, even though it may be a nice boost to the ego.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Haha, sounds like a good class indeed! It's a good thing that you're up against more skilled guys - that's how you learn. You learn nothing if you're always sparring with guys who are less skilled than you, even though it may be a nice boost to the ego.

This is why I'm totally stuck with fencing progression :wallbash:

The club is now hosting a twice a week capoeira class too, bringing in an instructor from Richmond. Thinking about doing it for conditioning :lol:

kootenay

Reaction score
Just found this thread and its super cool to see how many different forms of martial arts everyone has tried or is in to. I started BJJ about 9 years ago, but a new job, getting married, having a kid and moving to a new town all kind of put a stop to that. Oddly nine years later a guy I used to roll with at my old school has his own school where I am living. So for the past 7 month I have been going there and doing both BJJ and Kickboxing. I just received my first stripe on my white belt on Wednesday and since the instructor knew me from before and knew I had about a 1 year of on off time in he striped me twice. Needless to say I was super stoked!! On the very same night I got my first tap when I caught a blue belt in a triangle! Needless to say he crushed me on our next roll...haha!

Anyways, nice to know there is a thread here to chat about martial arts and my journey into them!

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Just found this thread and its super cool to see how many different forms of martial arts everyone has tried or is in to. I started BJJ about 9 years ago, but a new job, getting married, having a kid and moving to a new town all kind of put a stop to that. Oddly nine years later a guy I used to roll with at my old school has his own school where I am living. So for the past 7 month I have been going there and doing both BJJ and Kickboxing. I just received my first stripe on my white belt on Wednesday and since the instructor knew me from before and knew I had about a 1 year of on off time in he striped me twice. Needless to say I was super stoked!! On the very same night I got my first tap when I caught a blue belt in a triangle! Needless to say he crushed me on our next roll...haha!

Anyways, nice to know there is a thread here to chat about martial arts and my journey into them!

Congrats on your progress. It's good to hear you've got back into it. How's kickboxing going for you?

Yeah, I always look to roll with the people who I know will own me. I learn best from the context of a tough challenge. I obviously also roll with those newer than myself but that's a learning experience, too.

kootenay

Reaction score
Congrats on your progress. It's good to hear you've got back into it. How's kickboxing going for you?

Kickboxing is going good as well, thanks for asking. I am not exactly sure the style of kick boxing we do, but there is a belt system as well and I went from white to yellow in it. It is much faster progression than BJJ for sure. I had to drop it though just due to my schedule as of late. I started guitar lessons and its snowboard season, so I am trying to fit everything in, plus my wife and son...haha. I am sure I'll start kick boxing again as soon as the snowboard season is over.

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
Since there are actually no set rules for grading systems and progression (any instructor in his own club can grade as he sees fit) it can be a little difficult to accurately judge your skill level; that's why it's a good thing to check out different clubs every once in a while if you're interested in measuring your progress from a broader perspective.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Well I was dominated less conclusively yesterday, which was encouraging. Managed to diminish the danger of various situations, as well as take the back sometimes, catch the odd anaconda/d'arce choke here and there. I still need to learn how to defeat the arms so I can trap their leg and tighten the anaconda up, but awareness seems to be a big step in conquering a puzzle.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Awareness is absolutely a big deal... in pretty much anything :lol: thankfully it tends to come with experience and understanding naturally if you're training reasonably well (again, for basically anything).

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Which I feel I am, thankfully. Even when I'm in inopportune learning situations, my past experience of learning well has taught me to make the best of it for myself, and fill in the missing information. With a good grounding, you seem to develop naturally even without guidance, as you mentioned.

kootenay

Reaction score
I have had a terrible chest cold and sore throat for almost 2 weeks now, just getting to the end of it thank god. I haven't been able to roll at all during this time and it's driving me crazy. I better be back to full function by next Monday for class or I may go a little insane...haha!

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
The reinvigoration of finally getting back into it after a setback such as illness or injury is an amazing feeling!