Martial Arts

• Thread starter theo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ebart

Reaction score
Just started Judo like 6 weeks ago. I've got 9 years of jiu jitsu under my belt, so I have learned some rudimentary judo, but nothing like this. Also, let me tell you that waking up the next morning after having been thrown repeatedly the night before is so much worse than rolling infinity JJ rounds.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
It's a shame that a lot of BJJ places just focus on the groundwork, not takedowns, defending against strikes and such, huh? Watering down of the art.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Muay thai brat here. I've been at it for the best part of the last 6 years or so. Because of work i haven't been very consistent and still feel like i have a lot of potential to unlock. Although i think it will remain my main style, I'd love to try some karate (kyokushin, seidokaikan type schools) when weight classes don't matter to me anymore, and TKD for the sheer agility it requires/provides (non-point style, which one is it, olympic?WTF?) and probably kali or something that's nasty like that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Went to my first tournament today! It was a Quebec-wide (mostly Montreal, as the JKA Shotokan scene here is pretty huge) competition, along with the JKA schools from Maine and Connecticut that came up here. I participated in the 7th kyu adult category for kumite (basic sparring) and individual kata, and the 7th kyu all-ages team kata representing my university. Won bronze, silver, and gold, respectively, so I'm super proud! :D Especially the team kata. We practiced our Heian Sandan a lot, and it really did pay off.

Then, the black belt adult category was INCREDIBLY good. I might be making a short video with highlights some time soon for our website, so I might share it here once it's done. Then a bunch of us, including the US people, went out for food and a few drinks. Was great fun, and a totally successful weekend! :D

kootenay

Reaction score
Just started Judo like 6 weeks ago. I've got 9 years of jiu jitsu under my belt, so I have learned some rudimentary judo, but nothing like this. Also, let me tell you that waking up the next morning after having been thrown repeatedly the night before is so much worse than rolling infinity JJ rounds.

The truth bro.... a judo class will just wreck you the next day. The first BJJ school I went to had deep roots in Judo so we did a lot of take downs, had to know them, the names and everything for belts etc. I hate to say it, but I am glad my new school doesn't have such a large focus on throws....haha

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
Long time no update... how's everyone's training (as well as guitar-ing) coming along since last discussion? :)

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
It has indeed been a while since we updated this thread! Thanks for reminding us.

Regarding my last post, I doubt the video will end up happening, since I found out I'd need to ask the JKA for permission to make it public (since it would more or less advertise our dojo and the tournament, both of which represent the JKA), and I do not have the video-manipulation skills to produce a quality result that would justify the hassle.

Regarding training, I had a belt test this last Friday, and, while not official yet, I can pretty much safely say that I'm now a green belt in JKA Shotokan Karate, and still have the ambition of reaching shodan and further. :) More than getting higher up in the ranks, my actual vision lies in learning and mastering some of the advanced katas that I watch in awe as my senpai and instructors perform them. Still motivated AF!

Khaerruhl

Reaction score
My training has gone to hell. Mostly because I landed really badly on my shoulder during a tumble(not sure if it's the correct word or not). Somehow I managed to land on the front of my shoulder and force a roll over it. Heard a really nasty crunch noise right as it happened, and I couldn't move my left arm for a couple of days. Almost 4 months later, I can't move my left shoulder as much as my right. X-ray showed no bone damage whatsoever. So yeah, now I've gotta start another process to try and get some kind of help with regaining full mobility. Again.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Aw man, that sucks! Shoulder injuries are a bitch and a half. The shoulder is such a complicated joint. My mom had to quit playing tennis for a long time after she sprained something in her shoulder (forget what it was) after a serve. By the time she had recovered enough to be able to play again, we'd moved out of the country and she'd lost the motivation to continue. Mind you, she was in her early 40s when this happened, so recovery would have been much slower for her due to age. Better get that checked asap dude!

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
It has indeed been a while since we updated this thread! Thanks for reminding us.

Regarding my last post, I doubt the video will end up happening, since I found out I'd need to ask the JKA for permission to make it public (since it would more or less advertise our dojo and the tournament, both of which represent the JKA), and I do not have the video-manipulation skills to produce a quality result that would justify the hassle.

Regarding training, I had a belt test this last Friday, and, while not official yet, I can pretty much safely say that I'm now a green belt in JKA Shotokan Karate, and still have the ambition of reaching shodan and further. :) More than getting higher up in the ranks, my actual vision lies in learning and mastering some of the advanced katas that I watch in awe as my senpai and instructors perform them. Still motivated AF!

Congratulations man! Keep working at it, and one day students shall be watching in awe as you perform those very same advanced katas!

Btw did you mean "sensei"? ;-)

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
My training has gone to hell. Mostly because I landed really badly on my shoulder during a tumble(not sure if it's the correct word or not). Somehow I managed to land on the front of my shoulder and force a roll over it. Heard a really nasty crunch noise right as it happened, and I couldn't move my left arm for a couple of days. Almost 4 months later, I can't move my left shoulder as much as my right. X-ray showed no bone damage whatsoever. So yeah, now I've gotta start another process to try and get some kind of help with regaining full mobility. Again.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. That sounds horrendous. Injuries are always a bitch, but the recovery process can teach you so much about yourself and your body that you might not have learnt otherwise. I hope that you manage to find that silver lining, that enlightenment, however minor it may be. :)

What kind of recovery methods have you been looking into?

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations man! Keep working at it, and one day students shall be watching in awe as you perform those very same advanced katas!

Btw did you mean "sensei"? ;-)

Thanks! :)

And yeah, touche. :lol: I said "instructors" simply because I thought the word "sensei" might have been interpreted as singular, and I tried including senseis I've trained under but who aren't MY senseis that I regularly train with. Not sure how much sense that makes but, in any case, you are right. Semantics. :lol:

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
Thanks! :)

And yeah, touche. :lol: I said "instructors" simply because I thought the word "sensei" might have been interpreted as singular, and I tried including senseis I've trained under but who aren't MY senseis that I regularly train with. Not sure how much sense that makes but, in any case, you are right. Semantics. :lol:

Ah no, I mentioned it because you said "senpai" - I wasn't sure whether it was autocorrected from "sensei" or whether you were actually saying "senpai", haha!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Oh! Yeah I actually meant senpai! I'm not sure how it is in other martial arts, (I've only ever tried the one I currently practice) but karate tries real hard to keep things traditional, and once we enter the dojo, names of things are in Japanese, for the most part, and manners are subjected to Japanese standards as much as possible. That includes the way we address each other, the way we sit, stand, etc., etc. When you go to class more than 3 times a week and make friends with the people you train with, it's very easy to create a habit out of it, and you end up calling them "Sensei" or "Senpai" instead of their actual names, even during casual conversation, or at the pub when you go out for drinks. :lol: Kinda like calling your mom and dad, well, "mom" and "dad" instead of their names.

I also lost count of how many blank stares I've received after I unconsciously go "ossu!" instead of the usual "thanks," or "sorry," or "good bye," or what have you. It can be kind of an embarrassing habit, but I enjoy the whole thing so much that I couldn't care any less, honestly. :lol:

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
^ Oh! Yeah I actually meant senpai! I'm not sure how it is in other martial arts, (I've only ever tried the one I currently practice) but karate tries real hard to keep things traditional, and once we enter the dojo, names of things are in Japanese, for the most part, and manners are subjected to Japanese standards as much as possible. That includes the way we address each other, the way we sit, stand, etc., etc. When you go to class more than 3 times a week and make friends with the people you train with, it's very easy to create a habit out of it, and you end up calling them "Sensei" or "Senpai" instead of their actual names, even during casual conversation, or at the pub when you go out for drinks. :lol: Kinda like calling your mom and dad, well, "mom" and "dad" instead of their names.

I also lost count of how many blank stares I've received after I unconsciously go "ossu!" instead of the usual "thanks," or "sorry," or "good bye," or what have you. It can be kind of an embarrassing habit, but I enjoy the whole thing so much that I couldn't care any less, honestly. :lol:

I only knew of "sensei"; I didn't realise that "senpai" is used as well. I've only ever received formal training in Chinese styles, so my knowledge of the Japanese way of things is rather limited.

I absolutely get what you mean! Better to be passionate than indifferent.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Aahh right. Senpai is the word/honorific used to address a senior student. Kohai is for junior students, although I have rarely heard it used to address anyone. Sensei is an actual instructor, as most people know. (Though, if I am not mistaken, the actual, literal translation is quite a bit more complicated and much more nuanced, but it's effectively just a teacher.)

Ossu (or "osu," simply pronounced "oss") is a word I really like, just because it can mean so many things, depending on context. It's used to say thanks, sorry, or simply to show acknowledgement. It is very much a martial (read: military) expression of acknowledgement, and of almost outright submission sometimes. You don't say "sorry" and justify yourself unless asked to do so. You just say "Sir, yes, sir" and await dismissal, or whatever your superior's instructions may be. Of course, when everybody gets along, and your sensei is a naturally laid back person giving you a poker face in class, the term itself becomes very casual, too. :lol: However, when your sensei for that particular class is your sensei's sensei - a Japanese man in his 80's who can barely speak English and who holds one of the highest ranks in the entire organization - you know sh1t just got real, and you hit yourself in the head with a shinai (wooden sword) if asked to do so. (Didn't happen to me, but I saw it happen to one of the 5th dan instructors that was training that day... I think that was the day I learned to successfully hide intense laughter, out of sheer fear. :lol:)

I'm curious now. Do the Chinese arts have the same kind of manners in the training area, or the way you address fellow students and/or the instructor?

Josh Delikan

Reaction score
Thanks for the education! I've not looked into Japanese martial arts traditions much, as I've always just been drawn a little more towards the Chinese side of things for whatever reason.

Every Chinese-style class that I've attended has had a high level of manners and tradition, yes, which is something that I like. It shows that the instructor / school represents martial arts as arts, not just as a way to fight. There's a balance to be struck, though; I've seen quite a few examples (particularly in wing chun) of instructors that teach the students far too much fluff, almost as a facade (perhaps to make them seem more "genuine"), and not enough actual fighting technique.

Ebart

Reaction score
Training has been going well! Got promoted to Brown Belt in BJJ after 9.25 years. Also picked up Judo in January as I joined my universities judo club/team. Have progressed very quickly there being promoted to yellow and then green belt already because of my strong BJJ base. I kinda feel like the promotion was a little fast in judo, but I wasn't going to argue with my instructor. Plus, I've been terrorizing other yellow belts and green belts in local judo tournaments, soo....

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
This is my first post in this thread, I'm posting because I'm at home nursing a torn gastrocnemius (calf muscle) from kickboxing the other night. At least 6 weeks off training for me.

I also train a little in karate, but it's not as formal a dojo as Alberto7's school. Use of the Japanese language is very limited, and we refer to our instructors as Master or Miss, rather than sensei.

Latest posts