Marty.F vs. RonJarz

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
As much of a stylistic god Marty is...

Jarzombek is clearly the superior guitar player. He was basically doing everything everyone else is doing now like 10 years ago.

Xiphos68

Reaction score

Jarzombek is clearly the superior guitar player. He was basically doing everything everyone else is doing now like 10 years ago.

I believe I would have to agree. Ron just goes nuts on the guitar in so many ways.

From Blotted Science to all his guest solos. He is a crazy player. :shred:

(5:13 solo)

(Guest track)

Reaction score
Well, Ron was FAR outclassed here. Improvising over the blues ain't for every shred god. :lol: A few that can actually pull it off, Bruce Bouillet, Greg Howe, and believe or not, Malmsteen. :lol:

guitareben

Reaction score
Pity it wasn't longer, I love hearing Marty play :D And I never new Ron played with Marty Friedman!

Also, IMO, Ron was far outclassed here. Ron's ace, but maybe not at jamming out some solos with someone (MARTY!!) over a swung kinda feel ^^

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
For me, it's Marty all day long. He can play every style - MELODICALLY! That is the key. Ron can shred some pretty outrageous runs, but they aren't memorable.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
For me, it's Marty all day long. He can play every style - MELODICALLY! That is the key. Ron can shred some pretty outrageous runs, but they aren't memorable.

Have to agree; Jarzombek may be sick, but his playing is forgettable as crazy shredder #34534985743, whereas I've had countless Friedman licks stuck in my head for weeks.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Hey, I called Marty a stylistic GOD! Which he is, he is very memorable and I love his playing. It is hard not to.

But Jazormbek is some kind of insane guitar genius. Watching his youtube videos about how he writes is mind blowing. The guy also builds his own instruments. He is just crazy.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
Nice vid. I love both of these players, but Ron is my favorite guitarist of all time.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Have to agree; Jarzombek may be sick, but his playing is forgettable as crazy shredder #34534985743, whereas I've had countless Friedman licks stuck in my head for weeks.
For me, it's basically the reverse.

Different strokes. :shrug:

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score

So was Friedman. I mean, hell, the Cacophony album was '86.

Both of these guys are mind-blowingly-awesome. I can't peg which one I like the most. I lean towards Friedman b/c I'm more familiar w/ him and that Cacophony album helped start me on my path of playing.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Marty is great, but his playing has always seemed a little loose to me. Jarzombek is just so focused and tight, with excellent note choices.

JoeyW

Reaction score
Marty's playing has really gone in a direction that doesn't appeal to me but I'm still a big fan! Ron is Ron, genius. RAHN!

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Normally I LOVE both of these guys, but to me it didn't seem like either of them were on form in this video. Ron did a little of his crazy 12-tone stuff, but it didn't seem like his heart was in it at all. His crowning achievement, solo-wise, IMO is still Rivers Dancing.

Don't know about anyone else but I thought that was really disappointing.

Even guitar gods have off days.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Ron did a little of his crazy 12-tone stuff, but it didn't seem like his heart was in it at all. His crowning achievement, solo-wise, IMO is still Rivers Dancing.

Agreed- that solo is the best solo to come along since Vai's solo on the PiL track "Ease" back in '84 :)

Love both of these guy's playing, and it's cool to see them together. I'm definitely more into the new music Ron is releasing than the stuff Marty has been releasing.
Too bad they didn't collaborate on an album of new material- that would've been insane. Even Ron said he was disappointed that didn't happen in an audio interview i listened to not long ago.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Marty is much more free flowing and just generally sounds easier to the ear. A superb guitarist. Also with a weird ass picking hand.

On the other hand Ron is insane, probably in the top 10 guitarists ever, and is a complete genius when it comes to theory and music itself with his note choices and just songs overall. But his stuff is also really kind a blunt blow to ears that are used to normal things musically. Like a flat note in the middle of many standard notes sounds really off, but musically it still works. That is how I'd describe Ron's stuff.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score

Eh... As said above, different strokes. I love Jarzombek's music and Friedman does nothing for me.

+1 for Rivers Dancing, his solo on that is one of my all-time favorites.

So was Friedman. I mean, hell, the Cacophony album was '86.
I don't remember Cacophony being particularly groundbreaking. Technically impressive, sure, but not musically groundbreaking even within the confines of metal.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Eh... As said above, different strokes. I love Jarzombek's music and Friedman does nothing for me.

+1 for Rivers Dancing, his solo on that is one of my all-time favorites.

I don't remember Cacophony being particularly groundbreaking. Technically impressive, sure, but not musically groundbreaking even within the confines of metal.

As far as Cacophany goes... it was more likely Jason Becker being the groundbreaking one. Though together they were still incredible but Jason had an incredible way of writing and playing neo-classical music.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Probably, though I'm not sure my memory of the album is strong enough to judge anyway. Shred isn't really my thing.

')