Marty.F vs. RonJarz

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Ron is the don. Marty is good and he nailed some awesome solos on "Rust in Peace", but he is not on Ron's level, not by a long shot. That said, I wouldn't see it as unusual if Ron couldn't "get into" jamming over some blues backing. I don't have a 10th of either guitarist's ability and I can't get excited about 12 bar blues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
Marty hands down, who cares how fast and skilled you can shred if it's mostly just nonsense and musically does nothing.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Marty hands down, who cares how fast and skilled you can shred if it's mostly just nonsense and musically does nothing.

svIDJ.gif

TheSpaceforthis

Reaction score
I think some people forget Marty was in cacophony... playing almost on par with jason becker!
He can shred, has a style of his own AND a really nice sense of melody.

edsped

Reaction score
Marty was way better in this vid IMO. Not only his note choice and phrasing but also his timing was more on than Ron's, and his playing seemed cleaner.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Marty was the driving force of Cacophony. He wrote 90 percent of those albums. Becker was still very young at this point and didn't come into his own as writer until later.

Ron was playing rhythm guitar in Marty's band during this tour. Marty is successful because he plays music that people love to hear, not because he is trying to play the most bizarre licks. It doesn't mean crap if you can't write a memorable melody line! Marty never viewed playing guitar as a contest, like some shredders.

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
Ron all the way...

...then again I like Chris Poland's Megadeth solos better than Marty's, so what the fuck do I know :fawk:

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Ron is a great guitarist and I do like shredding if it makes sense within the song/jam, this just was not one of those times.
Oh, I am not really talking about this video but just overall. They were both clearly just messing around.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
My guitar teacher, Mike Flyntz of the band RIOT, is fortunate enough to have Bobby Jarzombek as his drummer, so there's a shameless plug lol.

Overall, we all love Marty. However, Ron has had such an impact on me, personally. Marty I credit with teaching my favorite guitar players, where I credit Ron with directly influencing me. I'm extremely partial to what Ron can do with 12 tones. I remember experimenting with Ocilation Cycles one day, and something just opened up in my mind and I haven't thought the same way since.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Jarzombek's style of composition is pretty well developed, I wouldn't call it nonsense. "Musically does nothing" is subjective, but a decent amount of this thread has blown right past that.

Not to me as a 12 y/o just finding out about the shredders of the era.

That makes it groundbreaking for you, not groundbreaking in a historical context.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Marty is definitely more comfortable and "in the pocket" in this video than Ron. That doesn't discount what a technical monster Ron is, just that his improv style isn't really conducive to this kind of music.

')