Mastodon Album Ranking Symposium

• Thread starter aceshigh92
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KyleG

Reaction score
While I do like the chorus it doesn't have that hook guitar riff I'd expect from a Mastodon single.
Sounds like a track I'd probably skip over while listening to the album.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I loved it! Their albums continuously get better and better, IMO.

With David Botrill producing, I can’t wait to hear the production on this album!

mastapimp

Reaction score
Still sounds like Mastodon...gonna pick this up for sure!

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I loved it! Their albums continuously get better and better, IMO.

With David Botrill producing, I can’t wait to hear the production on this album!

Botrill is a complete wizard, this news has me excited sonically. For me they are one of the great bands of the 00s, but not the 10s.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Was sceptical until the chorus. What a chorus.

Production seems way way more raw than usual, not sure if I'm a fan of that direction just yet.

Roll on the 29th.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Utter crap.

plato.jpg

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
Not bad, its got Remission mixed with EoS vibes and that spacey guitar line. I'm not blown away, but hopeful. Hopefully Brent is back on board. I hung out with him a few years ago and he said he was "as sick of playing fucking Mastodon songs as Kirk told him is of Metallica songs".

secretpizza

Reaction score
Hell yeah. A band I will always ride for. One of the best four record runs of any metal band - Remission through Crack the Skye, flawless victories. Likewise, I’m glad to see Brent back; the interviews he was giving for a while sounded like pretty hardcore burn out, which is understandable given how hard they’ve toured over the years.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not really into it.

Troy's vocals were...well...terrible. Guitars were annoying for most of the first half of the song too.

Hoping the rest of the album is better.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
So after actually listening to it: fucking eh.

They really can't disappoint me. The riffs are killer and sound like a perfect progression from Emperor of Sand, which already had a few hints of the Remission sound. Not crazy about Troy's vocal but the guy's pushing, what, 50 at this point? Still sounds damned good to me, and the song as a whole is great.

I always try to temper my expectations with new albums but I'm pumped to hear the rest.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So after actually listening to it: fucking eh.

They really can't disappoint me. The riffs are killer and sound like a perfect progression from Emperor of Sand, which already had a few hints of the Remission sound. Not crazy about Troy's vocal but the guy's pushing, what, 50 at this point? Still sounds damned good to me, and the song as a whole is great.

I always try to temper my expectations with new albums but I'm pumped to hear the rest.

I don't think Troy's voice itself is bad, or Brent and Bill's guitars, but the production was the issue. Even Brann's vocals sounded weird compared to how they sound on previous recordings, and especially live.

Which is odd as I've liked much of Bottrill's previous products.

gnoll

Reaction score
I quite like it!

The chorus was for me the weakest part. Not exactly bad, just a little uninteresting. The rest of it I really liked.

I think the vocals and production sound very good, I don't understand the complaints about that.

')