Mastodon Album Ranking Symposium

• Thread starter aceshigh92
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Never heard much from Mastadon after picking up one of their earlier albums and not really getting on with it. I can't even recall which one it was. Took me three or so listens here, but I'm liking this song a good amount.

I think I may have to go back and give the older stuff a new listen now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SeaBeast

Reaction score
Huh - I just don't like this. It isn't catchy, there are no guitar hooks drawing me in, and MOST importantly this might be one of the worst mixes I have ever heard. I had to listen to it on three different audio devices to make sure my speakers weren't messing up.

I'm still a fan (hence the username) and expect the album will have some songs I like...but consider me disappointed for now.

MetalheadMC

Reaction score
I liked part of it, but yeah the production seemed off. Almost like they were going for a raw sound, yet the vocals seemed way over-produced.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Grabbed some tickets to see them with Opeth in November :yesway:

I missed their entire set when they toured with Coheed in 2019, which was a massive fucking bummer as I love Mastodon and they're great live every time I've seen them. I haven't caught Opeth since 2007 when I saw them for the first and only time on Prog Nation. I don't really spin them much these days, although I did just listen to Ghost Reveries and Watershed within the past week, but I still like supporting artists that were big at any point in my life.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
When I first heard "Pushing The Tides" it honestly didn't grab me that much, and I'm a big Mastodon fan.
But the more I've listened to it, the more it's been really sticking with me. So I guess it's a grower.
Needless to say I'm very curious to hear the entire double album.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
It’s funny how we all hear things differently; the second I heard the chorus in “Pushing The Tides” I was hooked. That’s catchy as fuck, IMO. I listened to that song on repeat like 4x in a row and have been playing it every morning I get in my truck on my way to work.

I can’t fucking wait for this album. They’re pretty much the only band I listen to that tops their previous albums (for me). I LOVE the 70’s prog vibe while retaining some of the more modern elements/heavy shit. It’s like Floyd and Rush got really pissed off and formed a band. I fucking LOVE them.

gnoll

Reaction score
Zzzzzz.....

That was veeery uninteresting and underwhelming. Last one was way better.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Reminded me more of Ghost than Mastodon. Agree that the first single was much better.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
This is right in line with how things went on the last album. Sultan's Curse as the first single is good, then Show Yourself dropped and people were like "What the fuck is this?" but in context it works somehow; so I think we'll see that with Teardrinker as well.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Mastodon has been trolling their fans since at least The Hunter so this is par for the course.
Difference is that the Hunter was filled with bangers like Curl of The Burl, Blasteroid, Octopus has no friends, and Black Tongue. So far I'd say this album is going to end as Emperor of Sand's B sides.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks, but even if Curl of the Burl is like, a solid B Mastodon song - compared to the albums before and after it; it's a considerable dip in quality for what they can do.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks, but even if Curl of the Burl is like, a solid B Mastodon song - compared to the albums before and after it; it's a considerable dip in quality for what they can do.
Even though Mastodon is one of my favourite bands and Iggenerally like everything they do, this is very true. That 4 album stretch was absolute gold.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Again, absolutely terrible mix/production. The vocals sound like shit and where the fuck are the huge Mastodon guitars? It's just so flat.

It gets better like four plus minutes in, but the first 4/5ths of the song are completely forgettable.

Get Matt Bayles back ASAP.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Meanwhile I'm like Stan Lee with the headphones in that Spiderman movie just chilling with Remission, Call of the Mastodon and Leviathan

')