Mastodon - "Live At The Aragon" Trailer

• Thread starter Blake1970
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
looking at this, I remember them playing the small shitty stage at the Boston Hardcore and Metal fest in 2003. Damn they've come a long way. Completely well deserved though.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw Mastodon do the whole of "Crack the Skye" in Vienna, Austria and it was quite different from the first time I saw them in front on 40 people in Glasgow, Scotland on their first Euro tour :)

I might pick this up if it includes the encore. Seeing them play the whole of the 4th album was cool (and very brave of them) but the encore of earlier stuff including 4 tracks of "Remission" was incredible. (moan moan moan, "the earlier stuff was better" cliché in full effect :p)

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw Mastodon do the whole of "Crack the Skye" in Vienna, Austria and it was quite different from the first time I saw them in front on 40 people in Glasgow, Scotland on their first Euro tour :)

I might pick this up if it includes the encore. Seeing them play the whole of the 4th album was cool (and very brave of them) but the encore of earlier stuff including 4 tracks of "Remission" was incredible. (moan moan moan, "the earlier stuff was better" cliché in full effect :p)

Hehe, I think we saw the same 2 tours. The recent one was fantastic indeed.

Elijah

Reaction score
I'm down with some Mastodon, but I've never seen em live :(
I'll definitely be checking this out

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Definitely getting this.

Caught them the last two times they came through Boston.....great shows.

Smoked many cigarettes with Troy at NAMM last month. I met more people in that damn smoking area than anywhere else that weekend.

Blake1970

Reaction score
I picked it up at lunch, watching it right now and I have to say it's really fucking good!

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
My girlfriend ended up pre-ordering it when I first saw this thread, she actually got it Monday in the mail.

Over-all, it's cool and if you're a big fan, worth the money. I can't say the sound/video quality blew me away like I was hoping it would. You've got the choice between a Stereo and a Surround mix, although I don't believe the surround is a true 5.1 mix. Took a few minutes of messing with my system to get it sounding clear and up front.

The audio sounded pretty good while watching the Crack The Skye movie, but it's just the standard album mix.

I'm a sucker for backstage/behind the scenes footage, which there is absolutely none of on here, so that's a bummer.

Could have been worse, could have been better.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I love Mastodon, one of my favorite bands. But this DVD really highlighted why they won't ever be my all-time favorite; Brent's vocals. His vocals on their albums are okay at best, but live they are simply un-listenable at times. He has no idea how to properly project his voice from the diaphragm, so you basically have a guy singing out of his nose for an hour and a half. And we all know that Brent is in terrible physical condition, so he gets winded if he has to sustain a note for more than 2-3 seconds. Now Brent is an awesome songwriter and kickass guitarist, I just wish they would let Troy do all the vocals. And Troy sounds godly on the live album. I think that makes it more aggravating; they have one of the best live vocalists around, but they let one of the worst do the vocals over half the time. :lol:

The live sound was good, but not spectacular. I heard the drums clipping a few times (I guess Brahn is too beast for contemporary drum mics).

Overall, I'd say it's definitely worth the money. Especially to see them rip through Aqua Dementia, Where Strides the Behemoth and Mother Puncher towards the end. Maybe it's because this was at the end of a +year long touring cycle for Crack the Skye, but they didn't really come to life until they started into the older stuff. :metal::shred:

Mendez

Reaction score
^ i definitely agree with everything you just said. Badass band, im going to have to look at this dvd since I havent seen them live....either way its a pretty kickass to see a live dvd out for these guys.

Richie666

Reaction score
I remember seeing them with Slayer. Awesome.

That was a great tour. 2004 I think? Saw them in Worcester, MA. Even had VIP tickets!

I wonder how their shows have been of late. I know back in the day when I saw them, Leviathan had just come out and they were into a more brutal/crazed phase then their progressive tinged sound of today. I'll probably check the DVD out regardless.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I love Brent's vocals live. He sounds like a drunken Pirate, it totally fits the role.

In this day and age of over-produced over-edited "live" albums, I love hearing ones that sound this natural and unpolished.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score

That was such an amazing concert - my mind was officially blown.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I love Brent's vocals live. He sounds like a drunken Pirate, it totally fits the role.

In this day and age of over-produced over-edited "live" albums, I love hearing ones that sound this natural and unpolished.

I'm gonna say I have to agree a bit with the earlier thoughts about Brent's sound on these clips. Probably due to his health, his singing was considerably better (IMO) when I saw them a year and a half ago Halloween. But also, I think he's much worse in the Ghosts of Karelia clip above than the Oblivion clip.

I think they all sound better on the album, though Drann is very consistent live, and Troy's pretty on too - I think that mostly comes down to I like his album's phrasing and delivery a bit better. I do understand the live simplifications though.

')