Mastodon Megathread

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I've never heard a CKY song in my life.

Reminds me a bit of those poppier Cave In albums.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kidneythief

Reaction score
A bit more "poppy" then the first one, but still sounds good to me.

On the previous note I also started out with Hunter, but then discovered Crack the Sky and that got me hooked. I dunno I enjoy the new albums and the older ones as-well :)

wankerness

Reaction score
I've never heard a CKY song in my life.

Reminds me a bit of those poppier Cave In albums.

CKY's best known for being used on the show Jackass, so that should give you some idea. They were probably best described as pop punk crossed with metal. There's some riffing similarity here, but the vocals are oddly even MORE poppy than they were in that band.

protest

Reaction score
Yea...instant "Kill it with fire" reaction on this one. I never really listened to Him but I feel like this is how I remember them sounding.

Big_taco

Reaction score
First listen it feels like a swing and a miss at another "motherload". Some of the lyrics just feel awkward and half cooked. Maybe it'll grow on me like "curl of the burl" did but I'll hold out hope for the rest of the album. "sultan's curse" was pretty cool and definitely has the CTS vibes.

partialdeafness

Reaction score
Definitely strong rock vibes on Show Yourself. Mastodon has had some great results writing more straight forward songs, Oblivion was a lot of clean singing for them at the time and now its part of the prog metal cannon.
Sounds like this song is a part of the story where the character discovers what the have to do. Some of the riffs aren't amazing but whatever, I'm still really hyped for this album.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Sultan's Curse definitely brings back some Crack the Skye and Blood Mountain vibes for me and I couldn't be more excited. I didn't even know they had a new album in the works! Makes me even more excited to see them in Philly in May. Show Yourself is a fun tune but like Big Taco said, it sounds like a half baked Motherload but has potential to grow on me.

I got into Mastodon with Crack the Skye and it blew my mind. When I started hunting down more from them I couldn't stand Remission and Leviathan. My order for getting into their albums kinda spiraled out in this order:
1. Crack the Skye
2. Blood Mountain
3. The Hunter
4. Leviathan
5. Once More Round the Sun
6. Remission

I love their whole discography but I admit I'm a fanboy. Look at my user name for f*ck's sake. :lol:
I remember people telling me "you just hate it because it's different" when the new Gojira came out and I didn't like it. But that's not it. To my ears, Gojira didn't do a good job of making more accessible and catchier tunes. I don't think they have it in them. Mastodon have it in them, they've proven that they can write simple and catchy tunes that work on every level.

When I listen to a track like "The Motherload" I'm like, "yes! this sounds like something off The Ultimate Sin." They nailed that sound out of the park, imo.
I think you nailed it. Gojira's last album felt really half-assed aside from a few songs, and I'd consider myself a huge Gojira fan. Mastodon's take on more accessible music seems much more natural and is executed way better than Gojira's.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party but I just bought Motherload, holy crap this album is great.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score

I like it. I have no old school connection to the band since I only got into them last year (or really late in 2015) and I've liked everything so far. I do hope there will be more heavier stuff on the upcoming album though.

chopeth

Reaction score
1. Crack the Skye
2. Blood Mountain
3. Leviathan
4. Remission
5. The Hunter
6. Once More Round the Sun

This is me about Mastodon, I bought all the albums until The Hunter included, and they lost me there. In fact I only played it a couple of times and don't feel the need to do it again. After that I saw a vid with huge lady assess moving like pudding and I said goodbye to Mastodon for good :nuts:

I listened to the new song once, and even not blowing my mind, I might consider to be back.

Nats

Reaction score
Show Yourself isn't bad at all. Definitely get that CKY vibe.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
1. Crack the Skye
2. Blood Mountain
3. Leviathan
4. Remission
5. The Hunter
6. Once More Round the Sun

This is me about Mastodon, I bought all the albums until The Hunter included, and they lost me there. In fact I only played it a couple of times and don't feel the need to do it again. After that I saw a vid with huge lady assess moving like pudding and I said goodbye to Mastodon for good :nuts:

I listened to the new song once, and even not blowing my mind, I might consider to be back.

Pretty much the same feelings I have. I like Blood Mountain and Leviathan more than Crack the Skye, but The Hunter was pretty bad (to be honest, it was good but not Mastodon), while OMRtS was simply awful.

I used to be a fanboy, but they lost me. Like I used to be a fanboy of Opeth, but they lost me after Ghost Reveries. I understand that bands can't play the same style over and over again, that they evolve... but they changed too much.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
Pretty much the same feelings I have. I like Blood Mountain and Leviathan more than Crack the Skye, but The Hunter was pretty bad (to be honest, it was good but not Mastodon), while OMRtS was simply awful.

I used to be a fanboy, but they lost me. Like I used to be a fanboy of Opeth, but they lost me after Ghost Reveries. I understand that bands can't play the same style over and over again, that they evolve... but they changed too much.

Allow me to blow your mind, but.............MAYBE YOU CHANGED!!!!:lol:

As an OG Remission fan, I enjoyed Leviathan a lot, but knew they'd lost the magic by that point. Every album after that I enjoyed less and less, The Hunter and OMRTS are both in the "terribad" category for me though.

I first heard a track from Remission on a sampler with a Metal Hammer magazine in early 2002. I remember at the time thinking I'd heard nothing like it and I still haven't 15 years later, even Mastodon themselves couldn't recapture the intensity and quality of that album.

I remember seeing March of the Fire Ants on Headbangers Ball back in 03-04 and being blown away. When I hear that album though, it doesn't sound like Mastodon, it almost sounds like Neurosis to me. As much as I love that album they really have found their own sound since Blood Mountain. I mean I can only listen to so many albums of a band grinding me to a pulp like Remission did.

chopeth

Reaction score

Yeah, happened exactly the same with Opeth for me too.

Beefmuffin

New Boot Goofin
Reaction score
I enjoyed Show Yourself during the first listen, but a couple hours later I realized that I was going to have to listen to it again as the groove was stuck in my head. 50 listens later, I'm obsessed with it.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I've been listening to the whole Mastodon discography again because I can't wait for this album.

Latest posts

')