Mastodon Megathread

wankerness

Reaction score
That song was a weird one. The prechorus and chorus aren't really like anything else they've done. The song overall feels kind of half-baked, though, like the parts don't gel and it doesn't really develop into anything. From what I've heard about the album, it's supposed to be more like Crack the Skye and less like the last two, so I'll just wait for it to come out. I'm sure they're just releasing the short catchy ones as the singles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chinnybob

Reaction score
I like it but it never feels like it quite hits tops gear. Definitely appreciating the Blood Mountain/Leviathan vibes.

Also does anyone else find the drum sound kind of weird? I can see what Brann meant when he said he was going for a big 70's drum sound, but I just don't think it really works.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
Definitely appreciating the Blood Mountain/Leviathan vibes.

Vibes and ideas are there, execution is not. The three songs released so far are "meh" at best.
Mastodon won't go back to what they used to be, and if they try it feels forced and fake. Same as Metallica, just to mention another big band. The songs are not horrible, simply they don't work.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
not really into andromeda. It's not bad but it just doesn't pull me in the way some of their other songs do. Curl of the Burl is probably the best example of a stupidly catchy song they've written.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
I think they should stop sticking Brann in everything. He's great, and always adds a methodic texture, but I think Troy or Brent can hold a song either together or by themselves.

Jury's out on this album, hope it's good though!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they should stop sticking Brann in everything. He's great, and always adds a methodic texture, but I think Troy or Brent can hold a song either together or by themselves.

I'm on the fence on this. On one hand I think Brann is a great singer and love his voice, and some of his parts in OMRtS were incredibly well suited for him. But on the other hand, it's hard for him to get that same quality when playing live.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
I'm on the fence on this. On one hand I think Brann is a great singer and love his voice, and some of his parts in OMRtS were incredibly well suited for him. But on the other hand, it's hard for him to get that same quality when playing live.

He definitely tames his drumming when he sings -- how he even does that at all (sing + drum simultaneously) is remarkable. I dunno, I've been listening to Blood Mountain on repeat recently and it's such a varied album in terms of sound and feel (not that the newer stuff isn't but it's a different vibe), and I think that can be attributed to Brann's insane approach to drums when he's just focused on them alone.

What song is it that Bill features on again? I'm pretty sure there's something on Remission that he has a significant contribution to, should probably fetch that out again. Love checking out discographies and nerding out before a new album drops, it's a refresher on why I love the band -- and Mastodon has so many reasons to! Amazing how they traversed the spectrum of heavy music and did such a stellar job all the way through. To think Crusher Destroyer was made by the same blokes who would wind up making the Motherload is just awesome.

fps

Kit
Reaction score

I find Brann's voice very poppy, and pop-punky, and I could do without that being all over Mastodon's music tbh. It's really good for certain points, but not all the time, so I agree. In that sense he's like all the singers in the band, really.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
He definitely tames his drumming when he sings -- how he even does that at all (sing + drum simultaneously) is remarkable. I dunno, I've been listening to Blood Mountain on repeat recently and it's such a varied album in terms of sound and feel (not that the newer stuff isn't but it's a different vibe), and I think that can be attributed to Brann's insane approach to drums when he's just focused on them alone.
I never really caught this until you mentioned it but I agree 100%, I think his drumming has really taken a backseat because of the vocals. I'd be okay with less of Brann's vocals if that meant that his drumming went back to Blood Mountain era. The drums on that album are mind-blowing.

rocky0

Reaction score
Brann has the nicest voice in the band imo. Most accessible I'd say. The other guys are kinda hit & miss with being good and pretty horrible (at least Hinds' vocals). Troy is pretty good at what he does but kinda one-dimensional.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I'm really happy that there are three distinctly different vocalists, and bill for badass growls. I love the fact that Brann has been able to transition to being able to utilize his considerable vocal range to provide yet another facet to an already impressive range of options for the band to explore.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
"Emperor of sand" officially released today. I am listening to it now. It is catchy, very easy listening songs. Some riffs are awesome but absolutely not Mastodon-like. It is a very good hard rock album that I would probably play on long drives.

The major problem, for me, it does not work well as a whole. Individual songs, like I said, are quite good, but very disjointed in style.

7/10

PS: it is like listening to a less poppy version of Foo Fighters

PPS: We need more Brent and less Brann

PPPS: "Precious stones" is the best track of this album, IMHO.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
I absolutely adore this album! Start to finish, every song (bar Show Yourself) is perfect!

')