Matrix GM50?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

samclarke669

Reaction score
Nope, no clips, BUT if i get a chance tonight, i'll do a quick comparison between the 6505 power amp and the Matrix, depends if i can get the guys to STFU for 5 seconds, LOL

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Oops I meant reactance! I dont but the v300 gets you close enough tbh. Live, nobody will be able to tell.

The only reason I want the matrix is because it looks cool.

samclarke669

Reaction score
That's my argument.

At the level my band currently are, we're playing small pub/club gigs at most. For example, at one club we play in a lot, over the course of a year, i used a solid state L6 Spider 150, a Bugera 6262, 6505, Line 6 HD Valve head, and they all sounded much of a muchness!

WarMachine

Reaction score
lmfao you guys are nuts :lol: im sure the differences are very very subtle i just wish i had a comparison (thats why my local music stores blow!) if its not a fender or kustom then they dont carry it....WTF????:lol: im still very anxious about getting one of these. I may just pull the trigger and run with it. Look doesn't matter to me so much, its the tone that matters and being rocktron im sure i'd like it (im a rockton whore lmao)

samclarke669

Reaction score
As I said, i'll try and get you a demo tonight, if not then it'll be Sunday! But I shall do one! It won't be the highest quality comparison you've seen, though :)

samclarke669

Reaction score
Right, I finally got a chance to try it out,took much longer than expected. The results?

Holy crap this thing is amazing! I went from the power amp of my 6505 and plugged straight into the Matrix and i could barely tell the difference. There's a bit of fizz on the high end, which i could probably EQ out, but it's not really that noticeable to be honest.

This thing has VOLUME! I currently have my X3 set on about 12 for the master, and the Gm50 at just passed noon and it competes with a drumkit, keyboards, vocals, bass and a 2nd tubed guitar fine, cuts through with no worries at all. I am 100% impressed!

Just a note, perhaps it was me being stupid, but i didn't realise the GM50 wouldn't have a jack wired on the end, it's main use is to be bolted on to a cab, but i don't really want that, so i whacked a jack plug on the end and i was good to go. If you're thinking about buying this...Just bloody do it!

jeb

Reaction score
Thanks for the review!! I think I'll replace my too heavey marshall 9200 with this!! Do you think that the gm50 can be fixed in a rack without to munch trouble??

Jeb

samclarke669

Reaction score
The problem is its quite a lot smaller. You might be able to fashion something but it's definitely not a direct fit.
It's light as hell too. About half the weight of a rocktron velocity

WarMachine

Reaction score
Are you thinking about throwing it in your cab? If you do, pics please!:idea: lol. I would imagine just a jigsaw and you're set. So it really didnt effect your tone in a way that running it thru the 6505 was missed? If so, then i think you got me sold on these man. I'd love to have a replacement to be able to leave my 5150 resting for a bit lol, with little to no tone loss:metal:

And question.....where the hell did you plug the cab cable into??? lol.

jeb

Reaction score
Yeah!!! for the weight I'm not gonna miss the 80lbs of the marshall, we gig a lot these times, and the band mates will not miss the marshall too hehehe.

The only problem with fitting the gm50 in a cab, is that the controls are exposed. If I screw this on the back of my 4X12, I'll be scare to break the volume knob in the trailer.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Yeah!!! for the weight I'm not gonna miss the 80lbs of the marshall, we gig a lot these times, and the band mates will not miss the marshall too hehehe.

The only problem with fitting the gm50 in a cab, is that the controls are exposed. If I screw this on the back of my 4X12, I'll be scare to break the volume knob in the trailer.
Hell man, for that small of an amp you could just drill a few holes, jigsaw the rest to fit then screw it into the cab. Problem solved. If you worry about banging it on shit even tho its sunk in you could make a little cover out of the scrap or something to that effect. If it sounds like its claims this is a wicked idea! Im friggin stoked lol.

samclarke669

Reaction score
I don't think i will mount it...it's so small, I might just stick it on a pedalboard. My entire setup is now an X3 live and a GM50. Ridiculously small setup!

Going from the 6505, the Peavey is louder, obviously, but that goes without saying, i needed to crank the x3 and the GM50 to get it to compete with my band, But i still had loads of room to go, and to be honest in places that are of a fair size, you get mic'd up anyway!

jeb

Reaction score
Did you check the ohmage of your cab?
This thing can push 400 watts at 4 ohm, 250 watts at 8 ohm and 250 watts at 16 ohm.

If I go with this way, I'll rewire my cab to 4 ohm for sure!

Jeb

samclarke669

Reaction score
Ah good question. I'm not sure, actually! I probably should check that..

I can't reiterate enough, this thing fuckin' rocks.

jeb

Reaction score
Check your cab for sure hehe!!

I mean 120 watts at 16ohm,

')