Matt Raines 7 String Acoustic

Divebombvt

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forums.
I am looking into a 7 string acoustic for some really just extended range clean stuff, nothing to jazzy or thrashy. I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with Matt Raines before and what they thought of the guitars. His $550 crossroads acoustic sure beats finding a 7 string ibanez acoustic for around a thousand bucks. Also is there anyone else out there that makes 7 string acoustic at a reasonable price. I am not looking for the best 7 string acoustic out there, just something to noodle on.

Thanks,
divebombvt

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I've been waiting for the first hands-on review of the Raines acoustic seven-string from a SS.org member for years, but haven't read one yet.

If you start to weaken and think of buying one of the Ibanez 7s, you should know that of the handful I've put my hands on, the bridge saddle was in the wrong place, and the instruments could not be intonated correctly as is. I mean, the bridge was off by quite a bit.

If you find an Ibanez for cheap, and go into it knowing that you'll have to invest a few hundred in getting a new nut, filling in the old saddle groove, routing a new saddle slot and having a new saddle cut, then once the instrument is set up properly, it really is the shit. I was prepared for what was going to have to happen, though, and I wouldn't want someone to think the Ibanez was playable right from the get-go....

Divebombvt

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, I really had no knowledge of the ibanez's being so poorly setup. I am actually an intern to a luthier and am certainly capable of doing everything you have listed but what is the point in buying something that you know you will need to put a lot of TLC into. I am almost definitely going to go with Matt Raines. Also I will post a full review if and when I get it. Again thanks, I couldn't have hoped for a more definitive way to decide.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth about picking one up for a while. They had a few on the bay for a long time. There was one on there for about $500 that I had my eye on but it looks like someone picked it up at some point. :(

I'll probably be picking one of those up whenever I go to get my 7 string classical. I asked Rondo and Kurt says he has no immediate plans to produce such an axe unfortunately...

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
i didnt think that raines guitars were that bad. they are reasonably priced (somethimes). If your an intern for a luthier then id get a raines and just beef it up. his guitars are notorious for not paying attention to detail. i guess its cause they are made in a korean basement by 5 year olds with ADD.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
i didnt think that raines guitars were that bad. they are reasonably priced (somethimes). If your an intern for a luthier then id get a raines and just beef it up. his guitars are notorious for not paying attention to detail. i guess its cause they are made in a korean basement by 5 year olds with ADD.

It's a semi-hollow electric, but the Raines guitar I bought about a year or so ago is practically unplayable. The neck was set at a rather extreme and odd angle, so even when using strings 2 gauges higher than I'd like and having the truss rod as loose as it can possibly go, I still can't get enough pull on the neck to get the relief/action I'm looking for. The bridge posts are also drilled at a strange angle making things worse. Needless to say I never even got to the intonation. :(

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
yeah i remember. i was thinking about buying that from you. i think you got the shaft on that one. mine was ok. i liked it and didnt like it at the same time. i have no experience with his accoustics. id imagine they have the same QC guidlines.

')