Mattias "IA" Eklundh 30 min video.

• Thread starter Jason
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

swedenuck

Strictly Business
Reaction score
I wish he did more solo stuff away from freak kitchen, I love his work but the kitchen is all too corny for me to take.

P.S. is it just me or does it seem like he played too many atari and nes games while he was learning to play?

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wish he did more solo stuff away from freak kitchen, I love his work but the kitchen is all too corny for me to take.

Agreed, although some of the songs on his solo albums sound kinda... unfinished, I don't know. Either way, a cool player, who's now part of the Jonas Hellbor Trio for the fusion-oriented.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, and he's doing all that through a Gorilla amp. Just amazing. He's got a total musical vision and personality, rather than just amazing chops.

He's a totally worthy successor to Shawn Lane in the Jonas Hellborg Trio. I'm actually more interested in that than I am in Freak Kitchen.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, and he's doing all that through a Gorilla amp. Just amazing. He's got a total musical vision and personality, rather than just amazing chops.

He's a totally worthy successor to Shawn Lane in the Jonas Hellborg Trio. I'm actually more interested in that than I am in Freak Kitchen.

Dude, Gorillas rock.

"also from Hell of course..." ah, that's great

Wiz

Reaction score
I wasn't familiar with the guy but he seems to know he stuff very well, besides being entertaining to watch :)

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: I love it when he tries to speak french...
This guy must be hyperactive or something.
A real mix of tremendous technique / noise making and comic stand-up!

Wiz

Reaction score
Btw how does he get that tone? It's absolutely awesome. Especially on songs like "Hateful Little People". What's shocking is that it sounds pretty much identical even on that little gorilla thing. Can it be that "Russian distortion panel" he mentions in the video?

Wiz

Reaction score
No, seriously, how does he get that tone? Is that the caparison??

Loserchief

Rokuban Taicho
Reaction score
the weirdest and most fun part is near the end where he plays with that vibrator and controls pitch by using the intensity knob. Totally awesome.

ricez

Contributor
Reaction score
I think most of the tone comes from his fingers. I was fortunate enough to have Mattias stay at my place when I helped him book a gig at Berklee College of Music. No matter what he played through it sounded like him. We even jammed through a couple of POD's and you can always tell it's him. Since he is endorsed by Laney, they sent him a stock GH-100L for the gig. He didn't even plug into it before he went on stage, and he still had his sound. One of the coolest guys, and truly one of the most innovative players out there.

Wiz

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe we can get him over here sometimes. How do you get in contact with him? I know of many people here in town at the university who would absolutely love to have him seminar / gig over here.
I mean, we can get Pat Martino to come here (for a secret ninja gig for very few people :p ) and we can't get Mattias? :p Well, I guess it's a longer trip from Sweden but still.

And yeah, tone does seem to come from the fingers in so many pros. I'm jealous :)

ricez

Contributor
Reaction score
I just dropped him an e-mail from his website. You can go to FreakKitchen.com or Freakguitar.com

Shaman

Reaction score
It is always a pleasure to watch his "instructional" vids.

He has a very cool attitude. He doesen't take himself too seriously like a lot of players do.

Freak Kitchen is not my thing, but like I said, it's always great to see an innovative player doing what he does best.

Thumbs up :yesway:

')