Mattias "IA" Eklundh 30 min video.

• Thread starter Jason
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
saw the vid some time ago. I love it!

last years Musikmesse Frankfurt, I was walking past the laney booth with a friend.
me: who's playing there?
my friend: hey, thats Mattias Eklundh
me: who's that?
my friend: a veeeeery sick person....
:lol:

after seeing the vid I spent some time figuring out harmonics and learned quite a bit more about them:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I'd love to learn to do that stuff but I don't have a whammy lol. Basically what he does is a dive bomb on each of those little harmonics, right?

Ibanez_Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of instructional stuff, I'm anxiously awaiting this:

http://www.freakguitar.com/news.html

I know I've mentioned this before, but I'm absolutely foaming at the mouth over this thing.

Glad to see all the love for Mattias around here, he deserves every bit of it.

And Wiz, nice avatar! Love those old-school Ibbys. I've got an '81 Artist that kicks ass.

Wiz

Reaction score
Yeah man those ibbies are amazing, such great tone and playability. The prob is that they weigh like a dead dog and only the most bodybuilt among us can survive them for longer than a few mins :p It's like having a trunk of a tree hung from one's neck.

Ibanez_Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah man those ibbies are amazing, such great tone and playability. The prob is that they weigh like a dead dog and only the most bodybuilt among us can survive them for longer than a few mins :p It's like having a trunk of a tree hung from one's neck.

Yeah, I hear you. They weigh a ton. But they've got tone & sustain for days. And mine is broken in perfectly and plays like butter with absolutely no buzzing. For me, playing them is like some weird badge of honor..."I don't do it the pussy-ass way, I play a 12lb Ibanez like a REAL man" or some such nonsense.:lol: But after a while it gets old, and I get out the RG7621 and I'm like "How the hell do I play that other boat anchor?". Even so, I'm always on the lookout for old Artists. My collection will be complete when I snag the antique violin & polar white finish models. Plus maybe the hollowbody version.

Wiz

Reaction score
Ever tried sticking .11 chromes on one of those babies? Makes grown men cry from so much beauty! :D

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd love to learn to do that stuff but I don't have a whammy lol. Basically what he does is a dive bomb on each of those little harmonics, right?

I think what he basically does is his version of the same thing dimebag used to do a lot:
Dime played a harmonic and pulled the trem up right when hitting the note
Mattias seems to do a bit of a trem-dive and THEN hit the harmonic while letting the trem "snap" back to neutral when hitting the note

personally I do it by doing pinch-harmonics and bending at the same time mostly. the dimebag-method is fun and you can get some crazyass screams out of the guitar but it tends to kill strings quite easily:ugh:

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
i don't think he's using the gorilla, he keeps fiddling with knobs in the rack thingy

the man is a god anyway, such pinch whatever theyre called

not harmonics, no mere harmonic is that good!

nevermind, he says he uses the gorilla :/

fuuuck

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
I think most of the tone comes from his fingers. I was fortunate enough to have Mattias stay at my place when I helped him book a gig at Berklee College of Music. No matter what he played through it sounded like him. We even jammed through a couple of POD's and you can always tell it's him. Since he is endorsed by Laney, they sent him a stock GH-100L for the gig. He didn't even plug into it before he went on stage, and he still had his sound. One of the coolest guys, and truly one of the most innovative players out there.

that was a badass clinic....the pics from it that are posted on his blog were taken by me. dude's totally fucking hilarious, i got to talk to him a bit after the clinic...my friends and i tried to get him to go get lunch with us...no luck, though.

Latest posts

')