MaxOfMetal's Post Deemed "Dickish"

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Although I wasn't a big fan of All That Remains, Oli Herbert was a very talented guitar player and died at only 44 years old.

It seems odd that Oli died a week after signing his will, found in a pond just inches deep behind his house... The bandmates said they couldn't even get him to buy a new pair of shoes, let alone sign a will.

I think his wife had something to do with it all.

https://metalinjection.net/shocking...bILC3hmv4K6ZNQ4rGu4QxDmSf2G5cb4VTMoUwZgoaaACI

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ugh, not this again.

By all appearances, the dude was "going through stuff", mental health issues from the sounds of it. Folks in that position hurt themselves, either accidentally or on purpose.

The thing is, mental health problems are difficult to treat and often stigmatized.

I understand where his fans and band mates are coming from, often in such senseless tragedies we look for reason. But, it's been over two years, the police have found nothing.

It's time to drop the conspiracy theories and move on. :2c:

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Ugh, not this again.

By all appearances, the dude was "going through stuff", mental health issues from the sounds of it. Folks in that position hurt themselves, either accidentally or on purpose.

The thing is, mental health problems are difficult to treat and often stigmatized.

I understand where his fans and band mates are coming from, often in such senseless tragedies we look for reason. But, it's been over two years, the police have found nothing.

Dude, I know that you're one of the big names on this forum, but you can be a dick sometimes.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dude, I know that you're one of the big names on this forum, but you can be a dick sometimes.

Says the dude flouting conspiracy theories, which is all this amounts to after years of investigation, and bad-mouthing a widow. Classy.

The world doesn't revolve around you or your feelings. Shit like this hurts real flesh and blood people. Not just Oli's family, but others going through mental health crisis.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Ugh, not this again.

Probably doesn't help that most people don't understand how drowning works physiologically either. It's not about the lungs filling with water completely, it's the act of them getting a bit of water in them, and then the airway naturally spasms to prevent further water from entering. Drowning is essentially water induced suffocation in the most reductive sense. Also there is secondary drowning which is basically where the airway spasm is delayed and happens after being in the water (not relevant to this case, but people do die from it every year).

So yes, you can absolutely drown in a few inches of water if the water gets in your lungs. Not to mention if he was using alcohol/opioids (which would depress his breathing/level of consciousness) then it's even easier to drown. I was camping a few years back and a guy got drunk at the beach next to the campsite, slid off his inner tube and drowned in 6 in of water because no one was paying attention.
One of my dad's close friends drank himself into a stupor and drowned on the beach of one of the lakes up here too.

Most adult drownings or near drownings that I've seen involve substance use (alcohol, opioids or such).

The older statement from his wife mentions a "sleep" aid, which if he somehow got hold of benzos or other muscle relaxants, would have a comparable effect to being high on opioids or drunk (ie he'd be more susceptible to drowning). Even stuff like ambien or trazadone has weird effects on people at times.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Typical conspiracy theory: wife gets him to change his will a week before killing him. Doesn't think twice about how it'll look if his will is changed a week before his death, a trope not even worthy of a "Murder She Wrote" episode.

Demiurge

Reaction score
The bit about the signing of the will is far from a smoking gun. It could be the case that his spouse observed self-destructive behavior and told him to get his estate in order if he's intent on shuffling-off and leaving her behind.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
So you're not a fan of the band, but you feel strongly enough about the subject matter to spread speculative bullshit that has had zero substantiation other than "This feels weird"?

Like Max said, this thought line was explored and nothing really was found other than the obvious coincidences after all this time. But this is the weird side of the metal community that has so much passion for the things they love, but it creates an arbitrary attachment to the people behind the music.

Any suspicion is worth exploring if there's enough validity to it, but continuing to feed into it after it's been investigated just because is supremely weird.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Too sensible. If you ask me, the butler did it. It's always the butler.
If it's anything like Clue (or Cluedo, if you're in foreign markets), there are multiple possible endings, and it is up to you to determine the possible finish.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the real conspiracy. Oli was the most melodic guitarist of his generation. Absolutely sang those lead lines.

Yeah, I said it. He was metalcore's Albert King. Prove me wrong.

Tl;dr It's a c-o-n-spiracy.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's the real conspiracy. Oli was the most melodic guitarist of his generation. Absolutely sang those lead lines.

Yeah, I said it. He was metalcore's Albert King. Prove me wrong.

Tl;dr It's a c-o-n-spiracy.

:agreed:

Dude had vibrato for daaaaaaayyyysss. Great note choice too.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
The bit about the signing of the will is far from a smoking gun. It could be the case that his spouse observed self-destructive behavior and told him to get his estate in order if he's intent on shuffling-off and leaving her behind.

Yep! Look at the problems Alexi has caused by not getting his will and state in order before his death.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll admit that Max has a big ego here and I'm actually surprised that I haven't been banned from this forum - yet.

I actually do like All That Remains. They have some good music from the 2000's era of metal.

Do any of the regular users here not have big egos, or at least come off as having them? :shrug:

The Mods here, IMO, are extremely chill compared to the way things have been run in the past, not that I prefer either style of site moderation to the other. It's just an observation.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Do any of the regular users here not have big egos, or at least come off as having them? :shrug:

The Mods here, IMO, are extremely chill compared to the way things have been run in the past, not that I prefer either style of site moderation to the other. It's just an observation.

I see what you mean. Remember when the mods got soft and wanted this forum G rated and you got a week ban for swearing?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
')