Maxon 808- not working/ burning smell

• Thread starter stokedtoast
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
5 minutes ago I got a maxon 808. It's for my peavey xxx to vader 4x12 but i'm using my brothers grody marshall mg rig. At first no sound was coming out so I used a power supply, from my pod 2.0, to connect it. the lights were on and everything. Yet no sound was coming out, I started smelling a burning smell from the maxon and I quickly disconnected the power supply. Now the light is off and not turning back on. :scratch:

tl;dr: Just got a maxon and it's not working. Burning smell is coming from the pedal from a power supply originally used for my pod.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Do the power specs on the Pod match the power specs for the maxon? you can't just go switching around power supplies if they aren't the same.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
yeah, based on what my google results have said, the maxon takes a 9v 200mA supply and the pod takes a 9v 2A supply.

Consider it an expensive lesson in electronics.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie I did this once. When I got my first Maxon OD-808 I was so excited to use it I used my POD adapter as well and it fried it.

Basically you're going to have to send it off to someone to have it fixed. I forget who i sent mine too, it's been so long ago, but it was just a dude who did pedal mods. He knew what fried and knew what to replace and he sent it back and it worked like a charm. He just charged me for shipping both ways and a little bit for his time.

I would say someone like LordVChaos on this board who has extensive knowledge with pedal mods (especially overdrive pedals) could probably fix it for you. Send him a PM.

If not, maybe you could send it back to Maxon and they will fix it for you for the price.

Don't feel bad, like i said it gets the best of us, nothing wrong with being excited for new gear, just sucks you've got to pay the price for it :(

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
I did the same thing to my korg tuner... It started smelling like caps and burning hair! I just brought it back to the store under warranty. The lights still worked, but the output was just destroyed.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Also, i believe the pod power supply as an AC-AC one, ie, alternating current.

You can plug in a 2A adaptor into a device that only needs 200mA

However, you can't plug a AC-AC into a device that requires AC-DC adapter.

looks like you plugged an AC/AC into the maxon which requires 9VDC, hence, the frying thereof.

A lesson in electronics definately, sorry to hear about that :(

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
If you wanna be thrifty, you could mod yourself a super-bionic SD-1 808 clone/tweak.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Also, i believe the pod power supply as an AC-AC one, ie, alternating current.

You can plug in a 2A adaptor into a device that only needs 200mA

However, you can't plug a AC-AC into a device that requires AC-DC adapter.

looks like you plugged an AC/AC into the maxon which requires 9VDC, hence, the frying thereof.

A lesson in electronics definately, sorry to hear about that :(

This^ usually a pedal can even survive that though. The problem is that a POD adapter is reverse polarity of what you need for that pedal. The opamp and, every electrolytic cap, and most likely some diodes fried the second you hooked that up. I can fix it for you and I won't charge much. PM if interested!

Reaction score
A bit of a late response to an old thread.

I contacted the company a few days ago and they're sending me a new one free of charge, but I must thank you guys for all your help. Every thread I post gets quick responses and I just wanna say thanks dudes. :)

Hopefully I don't kill the next maxon that comes my way!

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
A bit of a late response to an old thread.

I contacted the company a few days ago and they're sending me a new one free of charge, but I must thank you guys for all your help. Every thread I post gets quick responses and I just wanna say thanks dudes. :)

Hopefully I don't kill the next maxon that comes my way!

Cool :yesway: can I have the broken one? :lol:

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
I just read this and spit my pepsi out laughing, seriously, fried pedals are the best.

I'm sure they'd refund you or send you a replacement, but for christ sakes check the power specs before you do something like that, even though it sounds like it was broked already.

')