Maxon od808 or not?

• Thread starter greenpants
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

greenpants

Reaction score
so I really like the way As I Lay Dying and Killswitch Engage sound and I know they use it. I just want to know how quiet it is (like the hiss and stuff) and I would probably need a noise gate. also how would it sound through a peavey vypyr 2X12 combo? really I'm just tryin to get that hit.
BTW I play alot of metalcore and also some deathgrind so do could It handle both well enough?
Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
The pedal isn't what you need to worry about noise/hiss from that's all your amp. The big reason I Love the OD-808 is it's not noisy like the TS-9 plus it gives a better tone. Put one in front of pretty much any tube amp with the gain down and the level up and you'll see what it's all about.

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
I put it in front of my Recto and it definately brought out the Killswitch tone in the amp, and the pinch harmonics popped out quite nicely :flame:

-Oracle-

BRAINZZZ!!!
Reaction score
The OD808 is like a magic pedal, my friend. But I find it quite noisy, expecially with already high-output pickups.

Once my setup was od808->isp decimator->Rivera K-Tre. Sounded KILLER!

Watch this @ 4:44 and listen to it without and with the Maxon, incredible difference.

FLGearnut

Reaction score
my od808 has tightened up every amp ive put it in front of...my splawn, the peavey 6534 i had for a short while, a 2-channel dual rec. etc

it actually kinda ruined amps for me, cuz now im never satisfied with the gain channel of an amp until im running a boost in front of it. its exactly what it needs for good palm muting and extra "depth" in your crunch tone if that makes any sense. Plus it adds just a splash of mid-boost which never hurts :hbang:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Its a great pedal. I don't think you can wrong with it as a boost.

StupidDav

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting an OD808 but it's quite steep for my budget, so I'm thinking of getting a TS7 and doing the TS808 mod since it's only changing 2 resistors out, theres a walkthrough on this site somewhere. I'd prefer an OD808 though. I had a Boss SD-1 and modded the crap outta it, but now the trebles are a tad plasticky

Vigil87420

Reaction score
It might not sound like you want it to playing it through a peavey vypyr since that's a solidstate. But I had a maxon od808 myself in front of my peavey 6505+ and it sounded awesoooome.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
if u want an OD/TS808 but find them to be too pricey then get a BBE Green Screamer. sounds almost just like an 808 but cuts out just a lil less bass and has a lil bit more gain on tap. also true bypass and built like a talk for $100 or less ($59.09 from amazon.com). i highly recommend this pedal!!!!!

')