Maxon od808 or TS9??

• Thread starter Jake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Hey guys im buying my peavey 6505+ really soon and i cant decide which overdrive pedal i want to use to boost im running a mesa 4x12 rec cab and ill have a bbe sonic maximizer and noise suppressor in the chain as well i know this is a highly debated topic so id like to see what some of you guys think :D

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Od808, it's identical to the original ts808's and works better as a clean boost too

Here the OD808 is actually cheaper than the TS9, I think it's the other way round in the states, but go Maxon every time.

pearl_07

Reaction score
I have that exact same setup minus the maximizer, and I love my OD808.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Od808, it's identical to the original ts808's and works better as a clean boost too

Here the OD808 is actually cheaper than the TS9, I think it's the other way round in the states, but go Maxon every time.
Thanks man im gonna go with the Maxon then hopefully i can find a good deal on one as I will have little money left after this amp head purchase lol

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
They go for about $80-100 used, go for that.

DVRP

The HUMANCENTiPAD
Reaction score
Id go Ts-9 just because of the price difference. Mine serves me well.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
neither, ditch the Sonic Maximizer and get BBE Green Screamer. sounds just like the 808 but with less low end cut. also only costs $100, sometimes even cheaper. sounds alot thicker in comparison to the TS9 and costs the same price, i did a back to back comparison boosting a 6505+

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I personally like the Low Cut, it makes the gain stage more responsive, you can always make up the low end if you have a post gain stage EQ, which most modern amps (6505/+ included) do.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
The low-cut is one of the main reasons for me to use a Tubescreamer...i like my signal going TIGHT to the amp, and Bass/Deep-knobs of the amp get more useable.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
i like low cut/bass tightening of an OD pedal too, but some amps dont need as much cut out as other in my opinion. the 6505+ is one of those amps. i usually prefer the BBE Green Screamer and Maxon OD9, both still cuts out a noticeable amount of bass and tighten but dont completely neuter the low end like some OD pedals do, like the TS9. however i feel some amps such as the regular 6505/5150 and Rectos can greatly benefit from or at least be ok with an OD that cuts alot of bass like the TS9 or TS7. just my preference ;)

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
Thanks man im gonna go with the Maxon then hopefully i can find a good deal on one as I will have little money left after this amp head purchase lol

if you do go with a Maxon, get the OD9 instead

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Honestly, do yourself a favor, and check out a TC Nova Drive. I didn't think much of them until I tried one out side-by-side with a TS9 and TS808 (and some other ODs), and it left them in the dust. Not even a close comparison.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Honestly, do yourself a favor, and check out a TC Nova Drive. I didn't think much of them until I tried one out side-by-side with a TS9 and TS808 (and some other ODs), and it left them in the dust. Not even a close comparison.

Mmmmmm.... They're different.

I've owned literally over a hundred pedals (look at my eBay history, lol) including plenty of OD's and booster and I've stuck with the TS stuff. I'm looking to swap my TS808 for a Maxon at the moment but that's purely for the smaller footprint.

Id also say there is definitely an audible difference between the 9 and 808, the 808's a touch softer an functions better as a clean boost.

7StringSloan

Reaction score
Maxon is definetly worth the extra cost. My buddy played both through his cranked to hell 6505+ and the Maxon was 10x better at least to my ears.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Get whatever is on sale, you won't notice a difference.

probably the most uninformed thing i've ever seen posted regarding OD pedals.

an SD-1 will sound different than a TS808, and the TS9 will sound different from both of those, etc...

each and every pedal has its own characteristic that is IMMEDIATELY noticeable to most.

I find the 808 is smoother, and with less bright highs in comparison to the TS9 where it's almost fizzy with the high frequencies, the GT-OD by MXR is somewhere in between an 808 and a TS9.