Maxon od808 or TS9??

• Thread starter Jake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
The low-cut is one of the main reasons for me to use a Tubescreamer...i like my signal going TIGHT to the amp, and Bass/Deep-knobs of the amp get more useable.

Yes!

Maxon is definetly worth the extra cost. My buddy played both through his cranked to hell 6505+ and the Maxon was 10x better at least to my ears.

Yes!

I own a TS9 and an OD808. The OD808 sounds way better than the TS9 for any use and in every aspect hands down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
thanks everyone yeah im gonna just go with the maxon if i find one but if not i will go with a ts9 but im not sure yet i guess still looking for a 6505/5150 at the moment first haha

TheChuggernaut

The Chugmeister
Reaction score
i have a 5150II and use a Maxon OD808...it definitely tightens the tone up and gives it a good amount of punch. i live and die by this little win box.

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
A friend of mine ABed the mxr gt of and the maxon od808 and they were wounding close to identical he told me.

Id get one of those.I own the gt od and its smooth, transparent clear, I really love it.

Shabadoo

Reaction score
I love the OD808, for the past two years it's the only piece of gear in my rig that has been with me the whole time.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
To the OP, lots of good info in here and they are right that each one have there own characteristics. In your case, you do not have the amp yet, so maybe you should spend some time dialing it in first then make your decision. Cause at this point the differences in the pedals might not be that much of a big deal. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Same setup as well. The maxon od808 added alot of feedback for me but i also have my peavey's gain at 8 and the maxon OD at 12 oclock. xD

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
Same setup as well. The maxon od808 added alot of feedback for me but i also have my peavey's gain at 8 and the maxon OD at 12 oclock. xD

On 8?! Geez!!!! The gain on 6 or 7 is more than enough on a 6505+ without an OD boost. Try turning it down to like 4-5. U will have less feedback and it'll sound much better and clearer

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
On 8?! Geez!!!! The gain on 6 or 7 is more than enough on a 6505+ without an OD boost. Try turning it down to like 4-5. U will have less feedback and it'll sound much better and clearer

Yeah when my 5150 is boosted, i have the gain at like 2.5-3, at the minimum, as soon as the gain kicks in.
But maybe hes going for another type of tone uber satured but even going for that I woulndt go past 6 6.5.

Enselmis

Reaction score
I modded my TS9 for a bit less gain and a bit more clarity and it sounds fantastic. That said, I usually stick to the Lovepedal Eternity. It's a treble booster as opposed to a straight OD, think Brian May.

When I modded the TS9, I moved the cutoff for the highpass slightly lower, and I think that really helped.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
To the OP, lots of good info in here and they are right that each one have there own characteristics. In your case, you do not have the amp yet, so maybe you should spend some time dialing it in first then make your decision. Cause at this point the differences in the pedals might not be that much of a big deal. Does that make sense?
yeah it makes sense obviously once i find a 6505/5150 (which seems like every time i do the deal falls through) im deffinitly going to spend time dialing it in first and figuring out what i need from there just trying to get some opinions on pedals haha

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I modded my OD808 for less gain and got a chaos modded TS9. They're both really interesting and different. At the end of the day though, I could adjust a rig to sound the same with either. I'd try the 808 first.

Reaction score
im in this debate as well. will probably be going through a b52 at-100 head with a genz benz gb412g-flex cab and which of these pedals will get me a low end death metal tone. im not looking for a super tight djent tone so if the ts9 (or the 808) excells specifically in djent, i dont want it. are there any cheaper pedals i can go for? maybe even a bass overdrive pedal (like a prescription electronics depth charge)? i know head from korn used to use one...

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
hey guys i got my amp..its a beast like i imagined so then i went to the od's i got an sd-1 and tried it out and liked it for a little bit but then i decided to go for the ts-9 after some advice from my friends and it sounds incredible already im still gonna try out an od808 but for now this is great

Xherion

Reaction score
I recommend the OD9 Pro. Compared it to an OD808 and regular OD9 and it sounds better. It's expensive though.

IMO, OD9 Pro > OD9 > OD808

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
im in this debate as well. will probably be going through a b52 at-100 head with a genz benz gb412g-flex cab and which of these pedals will get me a low end death metal tone. im not looking for a super tight djent tone so if the ts9 (or the 808) excells specifically in djent, i dont want it. are there any cheaper pedals i can go for? maybe even a bass overdrive pedal (like a prescription electronics depth charge)? i know head from korn used to use one...

The AT100 will pretty much get u to ballsy death metal territory on it's own, ESP thru the G-Flex cab, those things sound huge!!! But having an OD will help u get the gain sizzling a little more by just driving ur preamp harder, and u can get that from pretty much any OD pedal u buy, but I'm guessing u want one that will retain ur low end the most. In that case I would go for the Maxon OD9. Its a little more aggressive than alot of other OD pedals so it will be great for getting ur amp into death metal territory, it also will cut less of ur low end than most other OD pedals.

But for what ur goin for, since u aren't particularly goin for tight, I would also consider getting a MetalZone to boost the amps gain(amp gain at 5-ish, pedal set distortion:0, level:7-8, pedal EQ all at 5). This is how Cannibal Corpse gets that death metal sizzle from their Rectos, so it'll definitely work with the AT100, as they are somewhat similar to a Recto.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
I figured I would chime in once again since I just bought a Peavey 6505 and a mxr gt-od. I have not had much time with it, but I gotta say that running the od level all the way up and the gain at zero has made the rythm channel so awesome. It sound awesome for rythm. It made the lead channel have that thick creamy tone thats dreams are made of. Can't wait to get more time with it tommorrow.

Latest posts

')