Maxon OD808 vs. Fulltone OCD

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Hey guys, im looking for a good pedal to use in front of a 5150 or VHT pittbull or Engl Powerball to add crunch and boost the signal basically. I had my eye on the Maxon as everyone and their mother raves over how great they are (especially in front of 5150's), but then i went to GC today and tried out a Fulltone OCD which was reccomended to me by them (partially due to the fact that they had no maxons in stock haha), and it made a recto sound great to me (which is amazing cuz im not a recto fan at all!). But i still have yet to try the maxon and no one seems to have them in stock now! So out of you who have tried both out, which one do you think is the better pedal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
I don't have experience with the Maxon 0D808 but I own an Analogman TS-9 which is somewhat comparable. I also own the OCD. If you are looking for a boost, stay with the Tubescreamer series. The OCD was mainly designed to push older style amps that get need to get saturated from the power amp tubes to get the most out of them. The OCD pushes it in such a way that the amp sounds juiced without having to put the Volume at crazy levels. I would highly recommend you go to the Fulltone site, read the description, listen to the clips, and read some reviews on Harmony Central. You'll notice that the majority of people use this pedal for older amps. I'm sure it can what you want it to do, but it's meant to do more.

')