MAXXAS - A Division of Ibanez (pics, infos, discussion)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
I remember seeing them in the catalogs as a 15 year old kid and thinking they were bo-bo Ibanez guitars. :wallbash::lol::lol:

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Never heard of that brand before, but that's a pretty sweet collection you've got there! I'd love to see one in a 7 or 8-string configuration, that'd be pretty awesome to see.

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
At one point in time, I had three MX2FBs and made a triple group shot.

IBZ_MX3FB_1987_x3.jpg

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
^ That's hot...

I mean having one is cool, having twins must be incredible, but triplets...That's just debaucherous right there :D

straymond

Reaction score
that black prototype...

I... I just...

There's a rocket in my pocket.

s4tch

Reaction score
Just sayin', our humble OP is selling a beautiful MX3MA on ebay.de. Unfortunately, I can't afford it ATM, but I hope it would stay in the ss.org family. Such a character:

IMG_5121.jpg

Check the other MX's reflections on the upper horn :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Holy cow, how did I miss this thread the first time around?! This is quite possibly the best thread I've seen on here. So much history, such an awesome collection. I have a whole new respect for Ibanez and that designer seeing how early a lot of concepts were developed. We tend to think of AANJ as coming much later, and a guitar with 29 frets is not something I would ever have expected in the 1980s.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
a guitar with 29 frets is not something I would ever have expected in the 1980s.

There were more than you'd think. Feast thine eyes upon the rare 1987-89 Washburn EC29:

washburn03body.png

The rare, beautiful 30-fret Ibanez AFD from 1988:

1990IbanezArtfieldAFD45.jpg

The even rarer, 36 fret Washburn EC36:

EC36-1.jpg

And the ultra-hyper-mega-rare Hamer Virtuoso:

04.jpg

solarian

Reaction score
Wow, NICE! Those are really starting to grow on me, and love those finishes especially the black hole one.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
There are few guitar that i really lust after these days, but the Maxxas MX-3 and the Artfield AFD-45 are two of my "unicorn" guitars that have been a huge influence on my guitar designs, that i would love to have in my collection.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
Dam, been looking for one of these for close to 5 years. I'd give just about anything for one.

Completely unrelated, do you need a kidney? :lol:

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Up until a moment ago I thought I would never actually get to see the "black hole" finish described in the catalogs. I like it just as much as I thought I would. Thanks for sharing. :yesway:

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Words can't express my jealousy lol. I have wanted a maxxas guitar for forever. I can never find one in the condition I want, or people are just asking way too much for them.

')