Mayones 40th Anniversary Guitars

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone got one of these 40 year old Mayones'ses?

I've always wanted a birth year one since about 30 seconds ago when I first discovered that was a possibility.

They pop up on eBay and Reverb every so often, mainly generic 80's/90's super Strat fairly far removed from anything they've made in the last 20 or so years.

They never seem to be especially high quality, even in mint condition, and most unusually just think they're fake. :lol:

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
They pop up on eBay and Reverb every so often, mainly generic 80's/90's super Strat fairly far removed from anything they've made in the last 20 or so years.

They never seem to be especially high quality, even in mint condition, and most unusually just think they're fake. :lol:
In the 80s-mid 00s mayones made knockoffs of popular western guitars for dirt poor Polish people. Then they started making decent instruments for the EU market until 2010ish when they were rocketed to world fame by djent kids because misha mansour played one once. You can still find the old ones all over local classifieds here. Nobody here can afford a new one unless they're rich.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Well, somebody's buying them...

1666123221007.png
1666123468891.png

Masoo2

Reaction score
...and not a single one with a tremolo
one of the Regius models heading to Brian's Guitars is a Regius 6 Core V24 so it should have a trem, not sure what type as there's no pic of it tho

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Please explain why this is almost $10k. I mean, that's a lovely piece of walnut, but the rest of the wood are pretty common. :shrug:

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I don't get it besides the Walnut top

Also the neck isn't even as exotic as the standard Hydra/Duvell with Wenge/purpleheart (which my limited luthiery knowledge would imagine is more difficult to work with vs maple thus more labor expense)

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Mayones guitars feel pretty nice, I like them, but my god their basses feel like another tier....

20190818_135623.jpg

If I didn't already buy a Les Paul that day I would have brought this one home....awful burl and all.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Mayones is a builder I just don't "get"

I don't like the way they look. I've played 4 and didn't like any of them. Whatever the formula is, it doesn't work for me. All those guitars just look gross to me somehow.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I don't like the way they look. I've played 4 and didn't like any of them. Whatever the formula is, it doesn't work for me. All those guitars just look gross to me somehow.

I think they make high-quality guitars, but I really wish there was more variety in their finishes and the wood they use. Like 75% of what they put out are poplar-topped guitars with gross bursts.

Last edited:

xzacx

Reaction score

I'm pretty much right there. I was really underwhelmed with the one owned. Also I feel like pretty much all guitars with 50 piece necks never end up sounding very good, so maybe that's part of it. I've seen a couple really cool wood/color combos but I don't really dig any of the shapes. These all run the gamut of "meh" to "ugh" to me.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

They might as well not exist for me except for the Regius, especially the Gothic variant. I completely don't gel with their more popular styles of finish.

Latest posts

')