Mayones Regius 6 NGD/review/issue?

• Thread starter seekfreed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

long time reader / first time poster here. I've been browsing this forum daily for infos about Mayones guitars while I was waiting for my custom shop order to arrive.
Here I will tell about the ordering process and what I've got in the end. First of all I am incredibly pleased with the end result. Yet there are still some issues with it...

Pics and specs:

Swamp ash body, maple dominant neck, 3A buckeye burl top, 4A ebony fretboard
Hipshot bridge and tuners, Seymour Duncan black winter set

4SNr70F

nmtq698

FJ8nThR

y4QHxfZ

Ordering from Germany was fairly easy, but finding the right distributor was not. Most of the people that I reached out to were either clueless or not invested enough. I finally ordered through ProMusicTools in Munich just because the guy I was talking to seemed the most knowledgeable.
We went through the specs on the phone and after I payed the deposit things went on their way around April 2019.

Having some experience with the Ran custom shop (RIP btw; a Crusher 7 that I sold and a Gibson style V copy) I was let down with the experience that I had with Mayones. There was no direct contact to anyone of Mayones, only with the German distributor. I felt detached from the whole process. But I guess that is the deal with "semi custom builds". The ETA was set for around early June and so the long wait began.
Eventually June came and went and I did not recieve any update. After some inquiries with a Dutch (!) distributor, a new ETA was given to me. It was set for mid to late September. What really disappointed me was the clear lack of communication. Nobody informed me about the delay and nobody I could reach knew anything.
I don't have a problem with waiting longer for something if that particular something then turns out to be the way that I want it.

Early September I recieved a mail from ProMusicTools with excellent news and some attached pictures. The guitar arrived! I started to drool when I saw the pictures for the first time (and many more times after as well!). The buckeye burl top in combination with the black burst is friggen amazing. The finish turned out exactly how I wanted it.
But the first issue appeared here. The guitar was sent in a gig bag... Why did Mayones send me a almost 4k guitar in a gigbag?! After a call with the distributor I found out that Mayones had problems with several headstock breaks regarding the Duvell model and wanted to play it safe with their own gigbags. Let that sink in for a moment. I am looking forward to the discussion in the comments!
ProMusicTools handled the problem and sent me a Hiscox case with my guitar. After about 3-4 days later the guitar was finally in my hands.

The guitar looks even better in person than in the pictures. The feel and quality are top notch. Every praise you read about them is true. I can't really add anything of substance to that. Incredibly tight attack, sharp and defined sound, and maybe my favorite aspect is that the guitar gets warm. The back is finished in antique black with what it seems to be open pores. The warmth and vibrations that are being trasported throughout the body give me a feeling of being directly connected to the instrument.
The neck shape is super comfortable for my hands and suits modern playstyles (my left thumb starts hurting when I play the bass notes a la Hendrix).
The black winter pickups are by far my favorite pickups of all time and suit the guitar perfectly well. The distorted sounds are clear heavy as f*ck with a nice midrange but the clean split sound just blows my mind (Strat sounds come effortlessly). I could go on and on about all the good aspects of my Regius but now after the honeymoon phase is over I want to be as blunt and as honest about it as I can be. Nonetheless the guitar is inspiring and a absolute joy to play. To be frank, it is the best guitar I have ever played.

With that said, let me tell you about a few minor issues and a bigger one.
On the back of the guitar you can find a little blotch (2mm diameter) of ink/laquer (?) where it seems like it was not perfectly finished and just forgotten to be apllied correctly. This is no problem at all, just a minor cosmetical error.
The next point is that the guitar arrived in the wrong tuning and with the wrong strings. I ordered it specifically in D-Standard with Daddario XL strings (I dislike the feel and higher tension of the NYXLs). The guitar arrived in standard tuning and with NYXL strings. Mayones works with so much attention to detail but this detail got lost.
After a string change and a set up I got the guitar where I wanted it. The playability and overall action are just how I want it (I prefer to have a slightly higher action due to playing big chords and wanting the notes to ring out without choking). You could also go lower but that is unnecessary for me.

After I have played the guitar extensively for two months I have made quiet a shocking discovery. The F on the 12th fret on the F string does not ring out properly. Its sustain is remarkably shorter than any other fretted note. The note is fully there but after about 1-2 seconds the amplified or even dry note just dies off rapidly. I have tried several other notes but luckily I have only found this one dead spot.
Pickup or string height does not affect the sustain. Regarding my setup skills I would say that I know what I'm doing and I feel confident that I did everything I can but if you guys have some tips regarding this I'm glad to hear them!

Now I'm considering to do yet another string change and see if anything happens. If not I will contact the Dutch guys and see if they can help me get in contact with Mayones to sort it out.

The guitar itself is incredibly beautiful and a joy to play but I just can not unnotice that swiftly disappearing F on the 12th fret (I like to land on it pretty often as well...). It is not an issue that renders the guitar unplayable but it just a flaw that I can not unsee in a guitar in this price range!

Overall I am very pleased with the endproduct (except for that one flaw) but the journey on the other hand was not as satisfying. With prices for new Mayones guitars rising year after year I would propably not get another (new) one. Mainly because this one should be all that I need!

Let me know what you think!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First of all, congrats on the new guitar.

My thoughts:

- Buying experience: I'd say your experience is par the course for brands that go with distributor/retailer networks vs. selling direct. Though, it sounds like ProMusicTools somewhat dropped the ball. Perhaps next time, contact Mayones and see who thier highest volume dealer is in your country (or close enough).

- Gig bag vs. case: Cases are great for storage and throwing the guitar in the back of a trailer/van, but gig bags protect better for pretty much everything else. If boxed properly I have zero doubt that it would provide all the protection of a case and possibly more.

- Strings and setup: This should have been caught right away, I'd ask for a new set of the proper strings.

- Dead spot: It sounds like the potential issue of the note dying out prematurely could be a dead spot or a setup issue.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
After I have played the guitar extensively for two months I have made quiet a shocking discovery. The F on the 12th fret on the F string does not ring out properly. Its sustain is remarkably shorter than any other fretted note. The note is fully there but after about 1-2 seconds the amplified or even dry note just dies off rapidly. I have tried several other notes but luckily I have only found this one dead spot.
Pickup or string height does not affect the sustain. Regarding my setup skills I would say that I know what I'm doing and I feel confident that I did everything I can but if you guys have some tips regarding this I'm glad to hear them!

My guess is you have a slightly high fret somewhere if the note is choking off like that. I've never encountered a guitar with such a pronounced dead spot so it probably just needs a fret level. Disappointing on a high end guitar, but these things happen.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
you have a slightly high fret in that area.
just needs a level. contact mayones through facebook. they will tell you how to deal with it.

AltecGreen

Reaction score
- Dead spot: It sounds like the potential issue of the note dying out prematurely could be a dead spot or a setup issue.

It might a fret issue but the symptoms sound more like a dead spot.

Tape some coins to the headstock and see if the problem moves up or down a fret or goes away. If it does, then this is a dead spot issue. This is a common problem on Fender basses. It's there on all guitars but the it is not always so noticeable.

For some scientific info, see this.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233653803_Investigating_Dead_Spots_of_Electric_Guitars

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
My RG would have a fret that would ring out like it had its own tube screamer guitars are just weird like that

mastapimp

Reaction score
In my experience, the Hiscox case isn't necessarily the best fitting option for these guitars. I ordered my Regius7 back in 2013 and a Jabba5 bass guitar a few years later and they both came with Mayones branded cases. I know for sure the Regius case is a Hiscox and the dealer warned me about the body doesn't quite fit snuggly and to keep the foam inserts for the bouts and the horns of the guitar body. I don't know if the US dealer put in the foam, or Mayones did, but it sure helps keep the body from banging around. My Jabba seems to be fine in its hardshell case.

As for the dead note, as others have recommended, see if adding significant mass to the headstock moves the location of the dead note. My friend bought a used Knaggs guitar with a dead spot and had to return it.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well after experimenting with different weight wrenches by taping them to the headstock I found that applying them had the effect of shifting the deadspot on the F/G string. It tends to move up the neck into the higher registers. This makes me doubt the theory of it having a high fret in that area.

I don't have Facebook so I can't reach out to Mayones this way, so the Dutch guys will be my first approach. Lets hope that the dead spot can be fixed somehow. The effect is so pronounced that it takes aways some of the joy of playing this otherwise fine *ss gutiar.

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
Sounds like a dead spot, yes.
Such problems can only be fixed by modifying what is already there, meaning adding or removing weight from the neck/guitar and thus shifting resonance peaks.

Last edited:

AltecGreen

Reaction score
Well after experimenting with different weight wrenches by taping them to the headstock I found that applying them had the effect of shifting the deadspot on the F/G string. It tends to move up the neck into the higher registers. This makes me doubt the theory of it having a high fret in that area.

I don't have Facebook so I can't reach out to Mayones this way, so the Dutch guys will be my first approach. Lets hope that the dead spot can be fixed somehow. The effect is so pronounced that it takes aways some of the joy of playing this otherwise fine *ss gutiar.

Like crackout said, the only way to 'fix' the issue is to permanently alter the guitar. This is one solution that someone used to fix a Fender bass.

https://www.bestbassgear.com/ebass/gear/hardware/tuner/treating-your-basses-deadspot.html

You should wait to see if Mayones chimes in. Unfortunately, the solution might be to return the guitar and have another made.

decoy205

Reaction score
What kind of bag was it? Sounds like you just need a fine tuning on the setup. I’d get a quote and have the dealer refund you the cost. For that price it shouldn’t happen.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It was a Mayones gigbag. You can see one in Rabea Masaads video of his custom Duvell.
I have contacted my Dutch contact yesterday and now I'm waiting for a reply.
Fingers crossed!

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
Dead spots are a part of guitars.
I would not expect to get a full refund or exchange. Besides, it is highflying likely that a new one has the same ‚issue‘.

kisielk

Reaction score
Someone on the Fractal Audio forum had a similar issue with a Suhr guitar they bought. Ultimatley John Suhr ended up building him a new neck. It improved but did not totally eliminate the issue. All guitars have resonances, that's just physics. I think unless you really need to be able to have really long sustain on a particular note and it's just not happening it's not worth obsessing over.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Is a headstock tuner enough weight to deal with the dead spot? I heard Scott Henderson say he leaves a Snark on his guitars all the time because they sound better with it on.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's easy enough to fix, any experienced tech should be able to sort it out, but I can understand if you don't want to deal with it, especially on something new and expensive.

While dead spots happen, the builder should have noticed and rectified the situation before shipping it out.

Millul

Reaction score
I hope you can get this sorted out!

Now, I'm not one for burled tops, but that one has to be the best one humanity has witnessed so far - just amazing!

')