Mayones Regius 7 help.

• Thread starter Morrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Morrum

Reaction score
Ok, so my concerns finally got the better of me, and now that i think i am going insane, i have decided to post a thread asking for help.
I am on the verge of shelling out for a Mayones Regius 7, after i couldn't find a
JPX7 nowhere in Europe and the custom fees and taxes for ordering one from the US really didn't agree with me(not to mention EBMM's policy of not shipping guitars outside the US and Canada). I decided to go for a Mayones. It ends up being cheaper overall(by just a hair)
and delivery is to my doorstep.
Anyway, i thought i had my shit figured out.I opted to for an ash body/ash top.
Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire.And stainless steel frets.Those are the options i chose.The standard for the Regius and what i do not get a say in is a neckthru design,11-ply / Maple-Mahogany-Amazakoe-Wenge and ebony fingerboard, all of which are awesome.
I was always a fan of ash, i own a Loomis FR.
But now i have started to think that this would end up being way too bright and not djenty enough combination or what have you.
I really want SS frets being as i utterly destroy frets in no time.
I don't know what the deal is on that it's just that i go through frets and strings like nobody's business. Something to do with my sweat or i don't know, i am in the process of destroying my Schecter's floyde as well.
But i keep hearing that SS frets will make my sound too bright and combined with the ebony fretboard/ash body it won't be a good idea.
I put ash above any other tone wood but this guitar is way to expensive to take any chances what so ever.
Do you think i should go with mahogany sides and ash top or ash with ash?
What about mahogany with maple? AAGH
Should i lose the SS fret wire ?
I have an ENGL Invader 100 with an ENGL V30 loaded 4x12.
I also have a custom head that closely compares to a modded Mark IV but i don't frequent that one.
I play djenty progressive-y fusion-y stuff.I hope to get a nice Djenty tone with lots of pronounced mids.djent djent djent.And sweet clear cleans.
Clarity s a big thing but i want decent warmth as well.
This is keeping me awake at night guys, i will be depositing the dough at the end of this or the beginning of next week and i am scared shitless.
So what do you guys think?
Or am i just losing it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
It will be a bright guitar, but in that sense, a very clear guitar. I tend to prefer Mahogany, but it really comes down to personal preference. IMO, SS frets will not be a significant difference in brightness...I have a JP7 with Nickel frets, and my friend has one with SS frets (both the standard JP models)...the difference is so small that I'm sure it's down to them simply being different guitars rather than the fretwire.

So, if you like the Loomis (ash body, maple neck and board), and you don't find it too bright, that Mayones should sound awesome to you!

Eric

Reaction score
SS frets sound brighter unplug, as soon as you plug it and add distortion you'll barelly notice it, don't loose them, I wouldn't go custom withouth that option.
They last longer and are much more resistant to everyday use and abuse.

Swamp ash (which is d kind mayones use) is brighter than mahogany, but it's not maple either, it's a rich tonewood, has plenty of character and I really digg it.

If, or better yet, when I ordered a regius 7 I'll have both of those otions, Swamp ash body and SS frets.

Morrum

Reaction score
The ash on ash it is then.
I better put the money in quick before i start wondering about BKP aftermaths as opposed to CL+LF lol....
Pete also has an 8 string that is just amazing, i kinda hate Mayones for sending me it's picture when i asked to see pics of the different binding options.

Hot47

Reaction score
May I ask one question , since I have to decide between JPx(i)7s and a Regius 7 for my next 7, too. Is it actually a good substitute for the JP7s?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I know you've already made your decision, but I have an Ash on Ash Regius with a maple neck, and I have an inverted D-Sonic in the bridge, which is a bright pickup. I think because of the nature of the bridge and the fact that the body isn't 'Ash' it's 'Swamp Ash', a much warmer wood, it doesn't come out how you expect.

It's very very clear and very deep sounding, not bright or intrusive at all. The Crunch Lab i find is a darker feeling pickup all round too, so you should end up with a fat sounding guitar.

You'll be very happy with it dude, stainless steel frets don't have anywhere near as big an impact as a pickup change or something. Great guitars.

Hot47: I sold a JPX to buy my Regius, while they're nothing alike, I don't feel myself lusting after something like a JP and my playing style hasn't changed. The Regius neck is thicker, and rounder, it's neck thru not bolt on, maple neck not mahogany, no trem, different cap wood... In terms of quality, Mayones is top notch, there's no competition between EBMM and Mayones on that front.

Morrum

Reaction score
Maciej from Mayones advised me for going with mahogany.
Which is going to mess with me cause i' ll be going with the swamp ash.
I just hope i don't end up wondering "What if ?"
But that could happen no matter what i choose lol.
Well i posed a question to him about BKP aftermaths, and now the same dilemma arises .
Will they be too bright if bother with them ?
And will a Mahogany body with aftermaths sound better or a Swamp Ash with
CL+LF ?
What combination of wood and pickup would be better better ?
I hate when i do this.:scream::wallbash:

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Maciej from Mayones advised me for going with mahogany.
Which is going to mess with me cause i' ll be going with the swamp ash.
I just hope i don't end up wondering "What if ?"
But that could happen no matter what i choose lol.
Well i posed a question to him about BKP aftermaths, and now the same dilemma arises .
Will they be too bright if bother with them ?
And will a Mahogany body with aftermaths sound better or a Swamp Ash with
CL+LF ?
What combination of wood and pickup would be better better ?
I hate when i do this.:scream::wallbash:

I'll give you the same advice a friend of mine gave me a couple of years back when I was in the market for a custom:

Don't get a custom made guitar. You are simply put, not ready for it when you have the amount of doubts that you have now about body wood. Buy and sell some high quality production guitars so that you get a good feel for tonewood (and more importantly the tonewood combinations) and then decide on final specs for a custom.

EDIT: Though ,if you really want my input, since it's a neck thru and the most prominent woods from the neck are bright sounding ones (remember, pickups are placed on that part) you could go for a Mahogany with a maple cap combination. Maple has quite a lot of mids in it where ash doesn't really have them a lot (though Swamp Ash does have a very pronounced low mid presence, assuming it's a lightweight piece). You should ask for a low density, lighter weight mahogany type though.

Morrum

Reaction score
Don't get a custom made guitar. You are simply put, not ready for it when you have the amount of doubts that you have now about body wood. Buy and sell some high quality production guitars so that you get a good feel for tonewood (and more importantly the tonewood combinations) and then decide on final specs for a custom.

I have played my fare share of guitars, i have worked in a guitar shop for the better part of a year as well. I teach guitar and have come in contact with a bunch of different tone wood variations and what have you.
I have always held swamp ash as the best tone wood for me.
It's just that with the SS frets and the amount of cash and all i can't be too sure.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'd go Swamp Ash personally, I find it comes out a little more Hi-Fi than Mahogany which is notably darker. The Aftermaths have always been a little too much, too gritty for me so I'd tend towards the much smoother Crunch Lab anyway.

It your preference though, this is just it.

I will say this. You can change pickups any time, to anything, and there are hundreds out there designed to get any tone and output out of pretty much any wood setup. If you go with Swamp Ash say and you find it's too bright, pull whatever pickup you have in there out and try something darker. Whatever it is, you're getting a custom guitar and a very high end one at that, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with whatever you go for.

Relax!

Hot47

Reaction score
Hot47: I sold a JPX to buy my Regius, while they're nothing alike, I don't feel myself lusting after something like a JP and my playing style hasn't changed. The Regius neck is thicker, and rounder, it's neck thru not bolt on, maple neck not mahogany, no trem, different cap wood... In terms of quality, Mayones is top notch, there's no competition between EBMM and Mayones on that front.

Ok , that confirms my experience with the "cheaper" setius 7 which isnt far away from my jpxi 6 considering tone and built quality, but it didn't blow me away as the jpxi does.
But if you consider the Regius and your JPX as equal I'm thinking of ordering a Regius 7 now(which is also much easer to order in germany than a jpx7 or what).

The only thing the Regius is missing is the piezo:D I know, some people might say "yeah piezo whatever", but I think it's a cool feature and even cooler if you have it on a 7. An acoustic low B, that's nice!

Morrum

Reaction score
The only thing the Regius is missing is the piezo:D I know, some people might say "yeah piezo whatever", but I think it's a cool feature and even cooler if you have it on a 7. An acoustic low B, that's nice!
Umm you do know you could ask them to put a piezo in for you ?
You could get them to do whatever.

')