McCain vs. Obama

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

McCain vs. Obama

• American: Voting McCain

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • American: Voting Obama

Votes: 56 46.7%
  • Non-American: McCain

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Non-American: Obama

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I'm not voting/I don't give a shit.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I'm wasting my vote on some third party.

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Dave,
Our views on pretty much all of that are the same. I do believe that Nafta helped to weaken the Dollar. And while the dollar and inflation have changed, I was in the Air Force the whole time Bill was President and the raises were very bad until Gore's campaign started and they wanted to buy a few votes from the military folks.

I'm sure a lot of that was due to some of the older commanders in the armed forces that had been in during Vietnam and had openly shown disrespect for the president. So having my benefits and pay drop by over 1/3rd was a slap in the face.

Having said all that, I will of course listen to what both candidates have to say and if I do vote, I will vote for who I think is best for the job. It doesn't matter much where I am since I think the California electoral votes pretty much always go to the democrat. That's not anything I've read, just something I heard somewhere...
LOL the only reason anyone i knew in the military supported bush was because of the raises we got while i was in :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Dave,
Our views on pretty much all of that are the same. I do believe that Nafta helped to weaken the Dollar. And while the dollar and inflation have changed, I was in the Air Force the whole time Bill was President and the raises were very bad until Gore's campaign started and they wanted to buy a few votes from the military folks.

I'm sure a lot of that was due to some of the older commanders in the armed forces that had been in during Vietnam and had openly shown disrespect for the president. So having my benefits and pay drop by over 1/3rd was a slap in the face.

For all of Hillary's stump speeches, Bill was the candidate of the private sector middle class vote. He arguably elevated more people from poverty into the middle class, and from the middle class into the upper class, than any other president. His support came overwhelmingly from their, and the college students and grads who were voting for the first or second time.

I've heard a lot of military and former military grumble about him, and often with good reason. I just find it ironic when I run into the ones who praise Bush, who also ran away from the draft and has hurt the career soldier (albeit in different ways). McCain's siding with Bush on issues like torture, Veteran's Affairs and the GI Bill is just sad, as one would expect a Vietnam War POW to fucking know better. :noway:

Not that I'm condoning it, but the Clinton cuts in the military that your are describing were still within the scope of Regan's raises. That man did more for the enlisted man than any other president, and I can see why so many voted for him and the first Bush.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Drew,
I will be watching and hoping that Obama shows that he is a true humanitarian (like Jimmy Carter) but with the ability to get things done
and not let either political party bully him.

Man, do I ever feel sorry for Carter. Put ANYONE in office for those four years, and he would have been trounced in 1980. There really was nothing anyone could have done. Luckily for Obama or McCain, the dropout happened during Bush's term, so everyone knows exactly who is responsible for it.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I pretty much got personally screwed by the clinton administration through cuts in specific benefits when I retired from the Air Force. Imaging working for a company for twenty hears and retiring and when you started you put into a retirement plan with a guarantee of $1500 a month and when you retired they changed the policey to $900 through cuts in medical and dental.

Or, under bush, we can have our troops serve 15 month tours of duty and get threatened to have their GI bill revoked if they dont serve extra time.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Having said all that, I will of course listen to what both candidates have to say and if I do vote, I will vote for who I think is best for the job. It doesn't matter much where I am since I think the California electoral votes pretty much always go to the democrat. That's not anything I've read, just something I heard somewhere...

Please vote, be it for Obama, McCain, or some third candidate nutjob. I look at it like this - if you don't vote in an election, then you have no right to bitch about the guy who wins since you did absolutely nothing to put him there or to stop him. Democracy depends on voters, and sometimes that means voting against a candidate more than it depends on voting for one.

All this talk about party politics aside, I feel better about the results of any election when I see record turnout %'s. At least that way I feel like the results are more in line with what the majority of ALL Americans want, even if I personally disagree.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Or, under bush, we can have our troops serve 15 month tours of duty and get threatened to have their GI bill revoked if they dont serve extra time.

...or being ordered to pay back signing recruitment bonuses if seriously wounded in war, rendering them unable to continue to serve.

"I realize that you lost a leg in Iraq and I'm very sorry, but really, you only served one third of your tour of duty, so please return 2/3's of your bonus." :rolleyes:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Please vote, be it for Obama, McCain, or some third candidate nutjob. I look at it like this - if you don't vote in an election, then you have no right to bitch about the guy who wins since you did absolutely nothing to put him there or to stop him. Democracy depends on voters, and sometimes that means voting against a candidate more than it depends on voting for one.

Actually, if you are a Republican, I encourage you to stay home in November. :fawk:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
...or being ordered to pay back signing recruitment bonuses if seriously wounded in war, rendering them unable to continue to serve.

"I realize that you lost a leg in Iraq and I'm very sorry, but really, you only served one third of your tour of duty, so please return 2/3's of your bonus." :rolleyes:

Another I remember hearing was about varying the disability benefits by "how disabled you are."

"Well, you only lost one limb instead of four, so you're only qualified for 1/4 benefits. Sorry."

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
The best thing that can happen is for Obama to accept McCain Town Hall meeting challenge. Obama should absolutely smoke his ass in an environment like that. McCain is many things but a great orator is not one of them.

It is really the only thing McCain CAN do. The guy barely has any money, and is going to get outspent wildly this year. Town Hall debates are a cheap way to square off against your opponent, and if set in more rural areas, are sure to be stacked with conservative voters.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually, if you are a Republican, I encourage you to stay home in November. :fawk:

Nah, I'd rather have high turnout across the board. Democracy in action... Besides, I'm not too worried about McCain winning.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
It is really the only thing McCain CAN do. The guy barely has any money, and is going to get outspent wildly this year. Town Hall debates are a cheap way to square off against your opponent, and if set in more rural areas, are sure to be stacked with conservative voters.

he's also been talking about how they should share a plane... he's really in bad shape.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. He's even joking about it. You gotta give the man credit, he's got some brass tacks.

:yesway: It's a pity he pretty much sold out on policy.

Actually, I guess it's not as otherwise this would be a close race. But he's the sort of guy at the end of the day it's hard not to like, so it's tough to hear him speak and know you want him to lose.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
McCain 2000 would have soundly tromped everyone in the GOP primaries, and would present a very formidable opponent to Obama. Clinton wouldn't have had a chance.

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes a record turnout would be good.

I think its awful that the media is allowed to post any results before the last poll closes in Hawaii. I think if a person thinks the election is heading twoard one candidate, that they won't go out and vote feeling it's a waste of time. Add in the farse of an election that happened with Florida in the Bush/Gore time, it reinforces that. I think a lot of folks out west both democrat and republican didn't bother voting since they knew the election was over, before it actually was...

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
That sucks.. I didn't see anything on that in the media. It wasn't the lack of raises under clinton that bothered me but the screwing at the end when benefits were cut for retiries.

I do know folks that did their 20 years and applied for retirement and were told, "you can get out at the end of the enlistment but you can't retire at this time. Your job is needed too badly so if you want to retire you have to serve at least two more years".

Also I went in in 1988 and enlisted for 6 years which gave me two paygrade jumps from E-1 to E-3. My pay with housing allowance was uner $1000 including food and shelter allowances. My rent at my first duty station was $550 which left about $100 a week for gas, food, insurance, car payment etc.. So I don't know much about Reagan increasing pay much. You were eligible for food stamps on what I made at the time.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
That sucks.. I didn't see anything on that in the media. It wasn't the lack of raises under clinton that bothered me but the screwing at the end when benefits were cut for retiries.

I do know folks that did their 20 years and applied for retirement and were told, "you can get out at the end of the enlistment but you can't retire at this time. Your job is needed too badly so if you want to retire you have to serve at least two more years".

Also I went in in 1988 and enlisted for 6 years which gave me two paygrade jumps from E-1 to E-3. My pay with housing allowance was uner $1000 including food and shelter allowances. My rent at my first duty station was $550 which left about $100 a week for gas, food, insurance, car payment etc.. So I don't know much about Reagan increasing pay much. You were eligible for food stamps on what I made at the time.
wow, my E1 pay in 2000 in boot camp was higher than that :lol: E4 pay was fairly liveable, especially if you lived in the barracks... i never got E5 pay, even though i passed the E5 test, i didn't advance.

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
Bound requires an additional poll option:

American: Fleeing to Denmark.

I can't believe the Obama support. He's a sly businessman and a beurocrat. He's going to 'change' this country about as much as Deval Patrick is reforming Mass right about now. I love how a catchy slogan, some rhetoric, and a well polished veneer has everyone swooning over this guy. Just you watch, and you people mark my words... if he gets elected president, you havn't even seen disasterous. You can commit this country to the void.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Bound requires an additional poll option:

American: Fleeing to Denmark.

I can't believe the Obama support. He's a sly businessman and a beurocrat. He's going to 'change' this country about as much as Deval Patrick is reforming Mass right about now. I love how a catchy slogan, some rhetoric, and a well polished veneer has everyone swooning over this guy. Just you watch, and you people mark my words... if he gets elected president, you havn't even seen disasterous. You can commit this country to the void.

you seriously believe he'd do worse than bush? and what business has he run that makes him a businessman? thats a new one by me.

:wavey: have fun in denmark.

')