McCain vs. Obama

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

McCain vs. Obama

• American: Voting McCain

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • American: Voting Obama

Votes: 56 46.7%
  • Non-American: McCain

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Non-American: Obama

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I'm not voting/I don't give a shit.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I'm wasting my vote on some third party.

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
He's slick and polished like a well trained businessman or beaurocrat.

I don't think anyone could do worse than Bush, personally. But I don't think Obama will make this country better. Then again I don't think McCain will either.

I'm just shocked at the pole. I could rant on this forever... so I won't

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Bound requires an additional poll option:

American: Fleeing to Denmark.

I can't believe the Obama support. He's a sly businessman and a beurocrat. He's going to 'change' this country about as much as Deval Patrick is reforming Mass right about now. I love how a catchy slogan, some rhetoric, and a well polished veneer has everyone swooning over this guy. Just you watch, and you people mark my words... if he gets elected president, you havn't even seen disasterous. You can commit this country to the void.

Dude... That's a bit strong don't you think? :spock:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Bound requires an additional poll option:

American: Fleeing to Denmark.

I can't believe the Obama support. He's a sly businessman and a beurocrat. He's going to 'change' this country about as much as Deval Patrick is reforming Mass right about now. I love how a catchy slogan, some rhetoric, and a well polished veneer has everyone swooning over this guy. Just you watch, and you people mark my words... if he gets elected president, you havn't even seen disasterous. You can commit this country to the void.

:spock: O... kay...

May I ask where you got these bizarre ideas?

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
1. I don't really care for his policies. I think the best policies in the Democratic race actually came from Edwards

2. I don't think he's going to follow through on any of it.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I think its awful that the media is allowed to post any results before the last poll closes in Hawaii. I think if a person thinks the election is heading twoard one candidate, that they won't go out and vote feeling it's a waste of time. Add in the farse of an election that happened with Florida in the Bush/Gore time, it reinforces that. I think a lot of folks out west both democrat and republican didn't bother voting since they knew the election was over, before it actually was...

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I know that the media is not allowed to post voting results for a state until the state's poll has closed. Do you mean that the media shouldn't be allowed to post primary results for any state until all states are done voting?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
He's slick and polished like a well trained businessman or beaurocrat.

So, if someone is well spoken, they are a slick con-artist? So, should we only elect bumbling idiots who stumble over words? That hasn't worked to well for us.

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
The days of "Good ol' boy" politics are numbered (hopefully). It will be nice to have a well spoken president again. Honestly it's fucking annoying when you go to another country and all of your conversations revolve around what a idiot GW is... See ya...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was an Edwards supporter too, Bound, but I think Obama was far and away the least objectional runner up.

Thixotrope

Reaction score
I support neither democrat nor republican but after I read the following article I will do anything to keep Obama out of office...

Obama plan ships dollars overseas – by the billions

Redistribution of land and wealth? It sounds like communism to me...

I know McCain has his own flaws but at least he doesn't want to use our GDP for OTHER countries welfare systems. He also doesn't identify with the current administration which is a plus :lol:

Please everyone do their research before they vote! Don't vote for someone just b/c of race, political affiliation, etc.

Moro

Big damn hero
Reaction score
I can only hope the election goes as this poll went.

But what I really, really hope, is that someday, us, the rest of the world, won't need to worry who you guys pick. Not saying it is your fault about Bush, he's an ass, and he stole the first election (not sure about the second one though). I'm just saying that your votes affect much more than just the people of your country.

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
So, if someone is well spoken, they are a slick con-artist? So, should we only elect bumbling idiots who stumble over words? That hasn't worked to well for us.

I'm not just that he's well spoken, it's that his actions, words, motions almost seem so rehearsed, that there is no longer any substance to any of it. Having the power to sway the minds of the masses doesn't validate the sincerity of his claims. But being well spoken is a two-way street now isn't it? And it's a lot harder to judge a persons character when they act like a rehearsed robot.

I honestly believe he's not the best candidate from the democratic party. I think the reason the two of them got this far is because of the race/woman thing, to be honest with you.

I think pound for pound, if there were no gimmicks involved in this race, Edwards would have blown them out of the water. But no one even wanted to listen to what that man had to say, because the media turned this into a black man vs a white woman spectacle. Absolutely diplorable and disgusting, if you ask me.

So I guess what I'm saying, it is in my humble opinion that if Barak Obama had been born Ben O'Shea, no one would've even looked twice at him, because all he is, as far as I can estimate.. is empty rhetoric and a gimmick.

And I'm not even going to go into his preacher friend. I don't know what's worse, flip flopping on someone you call 'friend' or sincerly believing that you (purely out of political convenience alone) no longer agree with a man who's stance hasn't changed when he baptized your children, or while you sat through his sermons for years and years.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
I support neither democrat nor republican but after I read the following article I will do anything to keep Obama out of office...

Obama plan ships dollars overseas – by the billions

Redistribution of land and wealth? It sounds like communism to me...

I know McCain has his own flaws but at least he doesn't want to use our GDP for OTHER countries welfare systems. He also doesn't identify with the current administration which is a plus :lol:

Please everyone do their research before they vote! Don't vote for someone just b/c of race, political affiliation, etc.

he doesn't? are you kidding me? he's endorsed by Bush, and he votes 95% of the time in step with what Bush wants, how does he not identify with them again? hell he even wants the bush tax breaks to be permanent, something he voted AGAINST. also note, on that bill that the article you posted about, it has a republican senator co-sponsoring it.

I'm not just that he's well spoken, it's that his actions, words, motions almost seem so rehearsed, that there is no longer any substance to any of it. Having the power to sway the minds of the masses doesn't validate the sincerity of his claims. But being well spoken is a two-way street now isn't it? And it's a lot harder to judge a persons character when they act like a rehearsed robot.

I honestly believe he's not the best candidate from the democratic party. I think the reason the two of them got this far is because of the race/woman thing, to be honest with you.

I think pound for pound, if there were no gimmicks involved in this race, Edwards would have blown them out of the water. But no one even wanted to listen to what that man had to say, because the media turned this into a black man vs a white woman spectacle. Absolutely diplorable and disgusting, if you ask me.

So I guess what I'm saying, it is in my humble opinion that if Barak Obama had been born Ben O'Shea, no one would've even looked twice at him, because all he is, as far as I can estimate.. is empty rhetoric and a gimmick.

And I'm not even going to go into his preacher friend. I don't know what's worse, flip flopping on someone you call 'friend' or sincerly believing that you (purely out of political convenience alone) no longer agree with a man who's stance hasn't changed when he baptized your children, or while you sat through his sermons for years and years.
everyone has heard what edwards had to say. he didn't cut it in 04, he didn't cut it this year. i can tell you, that most of the people that voted for Obama, didn't do so because he was black, they did so because they, like me, wanted to believe in him. i personally feel you should pick up his book "The Audacity of Hope". its a great look into what makes him tick, and i personally don't feel you would be able to say the things you say about him if you had read it. its basically the Barack Obama manifesto, it lays it all out there, for everyone to see.

you also said "i'm not even going to go into his preacher friend", and then you proceded to go into it. heres the bottom line. you don't know how rev. wright has preached for the last 20-30 years. none of us do. its hard to judge a mans entire ministry on 30 second sound bites. its also impossible to judge a church community(which would be more prone to keeping me there than the pastor) which you haven't been to. for all you or i know, the community could have been wonderful, and been the main reason he stayed. he has alluded to that after all.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh dear :wallbash: This is not directed at you Adam.

Thixotrope

Reaction score
he doesn't? are you kidding me? he's endorsed by Bush, and he votes 95% of the time in step with what Bush wants, how does he not identify with them again? hell he even wants the bush tax breaks to be permanent, something he voted AGAINST. also note, on that bill that the article you posted about, it has a republican senator co-sponsoring it.

I guess you don't keep up to the minute my friend. He made an entire speech on this topic many times. He wishes to distance himself from Bush. Plain and simple.

As far as the tax breaks go...who cares? We get taxed enough as it is. Just wait until Obama gets elected. You'll be taxed to wipe your own ass to subsidize welfare for illegal immigrants who don't pay taxes.

I don't care if God is co-sponsering that bill. Obama has little experience and will be stuck so far up the U.N.'s ass he'll forget what country he's president of.

If you don't agree with anything else I say then answer a question for me...

Do you want to pay for other countries welfare systems?

It's one thing to pay taxes in your own country and have your fellow citizens draw welfare from it but when we already spend way too much in foreign aid Obama wants to siphon more off in to other countries that would rather wage war than harvest food. :nuts:

Fuck it, I'm moving to Australia.

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I think we all should be taxed more.

Anywhoo. Im throwing down the gauntlet.

This is all from his website.
Cap and Trade: Obama supports implementation of a market-based cap-and-trade system to reduce carbon emissions by the amount scientists say is necessary: 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050. Obama's cap-and-trade system will require all pollution credits to be auctioned. A 100 percent auction ensures that all polluters pay for every ton of emissions they release, rather than giving these emission rights away to coal and oil companies. Some of the revenue generated by auctioning allowances will be used to support the development of clean energy, to invest in energy efficiency improvements, and to address transition costs, including helping American workers affected by this economic transition.

Yeah that sounds good about now, let's squeeze out jobs and eliminate them altogther. Sounds great now that the unemployment rate is at 5.5%. God forbid we put up some Nuclear power plants and created some jobs.

Invest $150 Billion over 10 Years in Clean Energy: Obama will invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial-scale renewable energy, invest in low-emissions coal plants, and begin the transition to a new digital electricity grid. A principal focus of this fund will be devoted to ensuring that technologies that are developed in the U.S. are rapidly commercialized in the U.S. and deployed around the globe

coal plants???? why are we still talking about coal. This is 2008 for christ sake. Nuclear power. Digital Electric Grid? Yeah, good luck changing the enitre energy delivery system. Why not just alter what's behind it? Where are we getting the money for all of this anyways. I'm only two paragraphs in.

Double Energy Research and Development Funding: Obama will double science and research funding for clean energy projects including those that make use of our biomass, solar and wind resources.

I'm sorry, but bio-fuels are the dumbest shit I've ever hear of. God forbid we mandated R&D into hyrdogen fuel cells. Holy shit more jobs? Clean Fuel? Sounds too good, so we won't do it. Solor Voltaics are the least cost effective energy source ever. By the time you pay them off, you need to replace them. That's viable.

Invest in a Skilled Clean Technologies Workforce: Obama will use proceeds from the cap-and-trade auction program to invest in job training and transition programs to help workers and industries adapt to clean technology development and production. Obama will also create an energy-focused Green Jobs Corps to connect disconnected and disadvantaged youth with job skills for a high-growth industry.

That's a nice wishy-washy way of saying, 'We know your daddy is going to get laid off because of this, but we'll move your family two states away and pay you half the wage'

Develop and Deploy Clean Coal Technology: Obama will significantly increase the resources devoted to the commercialization and deployment of low-carbon coal technologies. Obama will consider whatever policy tools are necessary, including standards that ban new traditional coal facilities, to ensure that we move quickly to commercialize and deploy low carbon coal technology.

For the love of christ with the coal. What the hell is wrong with Nuclear facilites? It's not like the people who work on our aircraft carriers and submarines are coming home glowing green.

Deploy Cellulosic Ethanol: Obama will invest federal resources, including tax incentives, cash prizes and government contracts into developing the most promising technologies with the goal of getting the first two billion gallons of cellulosic ethanol into the system by 2013

Because america still doesn't want to feed it's people, we'd rather burn that shit in our cars YEEEEHAAAAW

Help Americans Grab a Hold of and Climb the Job Ladder: Obama will invest $1 billion over five years in transitional jobs and career pathway programs that implement proven methods of helping low-income Americans succeed in the workforce.

wow, we're spending more money. Where's it all coming from. We already have places to help you succeed. It's called school. If it didn't work once, it's not gonna work again. Believe me, I deal with section 8 people all the time, and the last thing they want is to get educated and work. They'd rather get a free ride and play Xbox all day.

Provide Tax Relief: Obama will provide all low and middle-income workers a $500 Making Work Pay tax credit to offset the payroll tax those workers pay in every paycheck. Obama will also eliminate taxes for seniors making under $50,000 per year.

great, but you failed to mention you'll have to raise my taxes by 3% to pay for all of these programs, so you're still taking more money from me.

Create an Affordable Housing Trust Fund: Obama will create an Affordable Housing Trust Fund to develop affordable housing in mixed-income neighborhoods

spending yet more money we don't have. Right now you can buy income property from 40g's. If you can't flip for that...... and again.. if we're not paying for it, are we borrowing all of this from China??? That'll do the dollar good.

Pay Inequity Continues: For every $1.00 earned by a man, the average woman receives only 77 cents, while African American women only get 67 cents and Latinas receive only 57 cents.

I'd like to see where these statistics are coming from, personally. My girl makes more than I do. woOt

Hate Crimes on the Rise: The number of hate crimes increased nearly 8 percent to 7,700 incidents in 2006.

see I hate how they do shit like this. The number increased, because in 06 they changed the definations of what constitutes a hate crime. I'm sure if you look at similar violent crimes, this is skewed.

Expand Hate Crimes Statutes

Obama will strengthen federal hate crimes legislation, expand hate crimes protection by passing the Matthew Shepherd Act, and reinvigorate enforcement at the Department of Justice's Criminal Section.

I bet the percentages will increase.

Eliminate Sentencing Disparities

Obama believes the disparity between sentencing crack and powder-based cocaine is wrong and should be completely eliminated.

ca ca yeeeaaaah. Who's got a lighter?

Bringing Our Troops Home

Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda.

because a destabilized Iraq, is a happy Iraq. Now I was never for the war, but we need to finish it right, now that it's here. And just walking away is going to have some fucked up reprecussions.

Humanitarian Initiative

Obama believes that America has a moral and security responsibility to confront Iraq’s humanitarian crisis — two million Iraqis are refugees; two million more are displaced inside their own country. Obama will form an international working group to address this crisis. He will provide at least $2 billion to expand services to Iraqi refugees in neighboring countries, and ensure that Iraqis inside their own country can find a safe-haven

Because spending money on the military to preserve the peace is a waste, so instead we'll try to maintain some sense of order and security by throwing crates of food into the melee. We will also build new bomb proof schools, that won't be policed and will most likely be blown up from the inside anyways. God the loopholes are killing me.

Regional Diplomacy

Obama will launch the most aggressive diplomatic effort in recent American history to reach a new compact on the stability of Iraq and the Middle East. This effort will include all of Iraq’s neighbors — including Iran and Syria. This compact will aim to secure Iraq’s borders; keep neighboring countries from meddling inside Iraq; isolate al Qaeda; support reconciliation among Iraq’s sectarian groups; and provide financial support for Iraq’s reconstruction

our army is gone, but you kids better play nice. Or we'll just send in UN peacekeepers, who will just drive around in trucks and not really do a whole heck of a lot. You know, like in Africa.

I was going to start in on his economic plans, but this is all just making me angry. The jobs he early said he was going to destroy with taxes and stringent government control, he's going to spend more money on creating jobs in that same sector. what?

Oh and you get 500 bucks if you own a home. Yipee 500 bucks! That'll put a dent in er.

I can't take anymore right now....

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that you'd be perfectly happy if the downward slide that W has put us in for the last 8 years continues, and you won't rest until the 1% of the world that doesn't hate America joins the "Fuck the USA" bandwagon? Because if McCain wins, guess what, you'll get your wish.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds good about now, let's squeeze out jobs and eliminate them altogther. Sounds great now that the unemployment rate is at 5.5%. God forbid we put up some Nuclear power plants and created some jobs.

I live 3 miles from Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant. Anyone that lives around here is afraid of it. You drive to the beach and you see big signs that say "NO EVACUATION POSSIBLE" all over the place in 20 foot tall letters. You can't just whip up a nuke plant anywhere.

For the love of christ with the coal. What the hell is wrong with Nuclear facilites? It's not like the people who work on our aircraft carriers and submarines are coming home glowing green.

Coal is realistic. Dropping Chernobyls into the heartland is not.

wow, we're spending more money. Where's it all coming from. We already have places to help you succeed. It's called school. If it didn't work once, it's not gonna work again. Believe me, I deal with section 8 people all the time, and the last thing they want is to get educated and work. They'd rather get a free ride and play Xbox all day.

Because people with high school diplomas are just raking in the cake nowadays, right?

spending yet more money we don't have. Right now you can buy income property from 40g's. If you can't flip for that...... and again.. if we're not paying for it, are we borrowing all of this from China??? That'll do the dollar good

You can't buy shit around here for 40g's. In the city, 40g's gets you a parking space. For a couple of years.

because a destabilized Iraq, is a happy Iraq. Now I was never for the war, but we need to finish it right, now that it's here. And just walking away is going to have some fucked up reprecussions.

As someone who's been to Iraq and has seen people shot to pieces, as well as someone who has friends who never came back from Iraq, if you think we should just keep funneling soldiers over there, I urge you to enlist and head on over.

Because spending money on the military to preserve the peace is a waste, so instead we'll try to maintain some sense of order and security by throwing crates of food into the melee. We will also build new bomb proof schools, that won't be policed and will most likely be blown up from the inside anyways. God the loopholes are killing me.

Your pessimistic outlook on everything (to quote you: "It's called school. If it didn't work once, it's not gonna work again") doesn't mean that nobody should try to change things. If you're so happy with the status quo, vote for McBush.

Oh and you get 500 bucks if you own a home. Yipee 500 bucks! That'll put a dent in er.

Just like the $600 that I didn't qualify for did for everyone else, right?

')