McCain vs. Obama

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

McCain vs. Obama

• American: Voting McCain

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • American: Voting Obama

Votes: 56 46.7%
  • Non-American: McCain

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Non-American: Obama

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I'm not voting/I don't give a shit.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I'm wasting my vote on some third party.

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I know that the media is not allowed to post voting results for a state until the state's poll has closed. Do you mean that the media shouldn't be allowed to post primary results for any state until all states are done voting?

Yes, that's what I mean. I think broadcasting results on the eastern states as they finish voting effects the votes from the western states. If you think your candidate already has it in the bag why vote? If you think your candidtae doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning because the media already says it's over, why vote..

I don't think the media should have any access to any figures until the last poll closes. Honestly, I think it (incorrect news reports) cost Gore the election eight years ago.. I think all the polls and BS that most of the media puts out is enough, we don't need them influencing voter turnout..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
I live 3 miles from Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant. Anyone that lives around here is afraid of it. You drive to the beach and you see big signs that say "NO EVACUATION POSSIBLE" all over the place in 20 foot tall letters. You can't just whip up a nuke plant anywhere.

If people are really that scared, which I think is rediculous- we can build them in isolated areas. Hell if the government will allow me, I'll build a house right on top of Seabrooks reactor. I honestly believe that to solve the eneregy crisis we need to stop burning fossil fuels. Like now. our CO emissions are the highest this has ever seen. I don't know if you know anything about the Carbon cycle on this planet, but we're 2 times past the initiation of a heat up// ice age. We have the technologies availible to us to stop what we're doing and actually usher in new change. Instead what's going to happen, is in an every worsening economy, We are going to force our current infrastructre to modify or pay penalties. Either way, it's going to simply drive up energy costs.

Coal is realistic. Dropping Chernobyls into the heartland is not.

See, I feel that is a viable option to have an energy source that produces limited waste. There's no changing what happened in the past, but we should instread try to grow from what happened. I find it hard to beleive we don't have the technology or know how install safetly measures to prevent such a catastrophy.

Because people with high school diplomas are just raking in the cake nowadays, right?

I honestly don't feel that implementing education programs and spending more money is going to help certain people. This all goes back to 'where there's a will there's a way'. My dad put himself through school supporting his wife and child at the age of 23. My mom went to school when he finished his. They did this working as a counter salesperson and waitress, respectively. I know a lot of people who have done things like this. Single mothers who've put themselves through nursing school. Single fathers who've put themselves through trade school, making peanuts for money.
All these 'education' and 'no one left behind' programs are crazy to me. The problem isn't the education available. I believe theres a deep rooted social and family problem in this country that isn't going to be changed by the tools availible. We have the necessary tools at our fingertips- It's wether or not the person wants to use them or not.

You can't buy shit around here for 40g's. In the city, 40g's gets you a parking space. For a couple of years.

Property is the lowest it's ever been. It's actually more affordable then ever. Maybe not in the Largest of cities, but everywhere else it's dirt. And Mass is still high, following the national trend.

As someone who's been to Iraq and has seen people shot to pieces, as well as someone who has friends who never came back from Iraq, if you think we should just keep funneling soldiers over there, I urge you to enlist and head on over.

I ever several friends who've done a couple of tours each. I'm only going to talk about one because I could probably sit down with all of them and write a book. A good friend of mine was a gunner on a Humvee stationed right in Baghdad. He was there from the beggining of the war, and came back just short of ending his second tour. The hummer was hit, and he was the only one from his crew that came back. Now he's seen a lot of crazy shit, and he's killed a few people. But he honestly believes that what he and his bretheren over there is doing some good. He doens't really know or think if it's right or moral, but he feels like it's doing something.

Now- we throw all those american lives to wind

Barak's Fantasy Plan- We're going to pull out. Just get em out of there. We're going to meet with radical insurgents and tell them to behave and they will. We're going to tell the government to be civil with insurection memebers and they will. We're going to spend just as much on aid, as we are the military.

What's actually going to happen- We're going to just up and leave. The insurrection will continue with a ferver the people of Iraq have never seen before. You can add more to the list of 2million already displaced. The new radical governement will take all of our aid for itself and continue to persecute people who don't follow their political and idealogical views. Hey this sounds like somwhere I know.... oh yeah we did this in Somalia for years back in the 90's. Wasn't that fun? Giving food to the tyrant God-Kings, while people starve around them. That worked well....:scratch:

I really was never for the war. It was the wrong war to start. But you know what, we're engaged in it and we need to finish it appropriately. No matter how you feel about the situation, now, we cannot abandon millions of people. We can't. It'll only make the situation worse over there. It's not like we're leaving a people are just made at us, It's a full blown insurection and it won't stop when we leave. The situation really needs someone who will do what needs to be done, and not what the masses want to hear.

Your pessimistic outlook on everything (to quote you: "It's called school. If it didn't work once, it's not gonna work again") doesn't mean that nobody should try to change things. If you're so happy with the status quo, vote for McBush.

I know a lot of people who didn't get handouts, come from poor parents, who worked their asses off to put themselves through school and get some training. Again, there's no lack of tools at your disposal. There is a serious social problem with this country. Our way of thinking is skewed. Big business is killing the lower class. There is a deep rooted problem behind peoples self-destructive tendencies and it really isn't the education we're getting.

Plus, wether you want to admit it or not, there are a lot of people out there, who when given the oppurtunity to work or to loaf off government programming- would rather take the handout and be technically poor, while haveing everything they need for survival. Like I said, I deal with a lot of section 8 people in my area... and you know what they have a lot of crap that I don't even have and I've been in the workforce for 8 years now. It's a standard to see at least one 42" LCD tv, courtesy of your tax dollars. Why would you work when you can get stuff like that for free? That or they deal drugs, and collect benes.

The only program in my experience that seems to work is one that involves getting drug offenders back on their feet after being incarcerated. I think a lot if it, though, has to do with the fact that it's not a 'free-ride'. They need to work at program center and they need to hold a job, which contributes to their bills. They really help these guys out a lot and they seem to respond really well to it. But it's not a handout.

You know what, I don't think McCain is the person we really need for the situation at hand, but I don't think he'll royaly screw anything up either.

Just like the $600 that I didn't qualify for did for everyone else, right?

Gifts and handouts from the government are such a stupid cop out. That Bush's economic stimulus hit just in time for the unemploment rate to climb again. It's doing good... it's doing good. You know what the government can do the help the economy. Raise GDP numbers. Produce more exports. Give American companies incentive to remain American companies and stop outsourcing everything( which Barak's upper tax will only worsen, tax em more so they leave! There's a good way to make jobs) STOP BURNING THE CORN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! Why no one has the balls to implement something like " Mandatory Hydrogen Fuel Cell by 2020" is beyond me. Why are we still burning stuff. Are we really still monkeys?

What I got out of the website yesterday was this:

We're going to increase government spending. A lot. We're going to tax the middle class less(okay I'm down with that). We're going to tax business more and provide them with incentive to outsource. We're going to give those same businesses a tax incentive to stay abroad. Okay, we're back at square one, spending more money and not taking anymore in.

Any one of his policies sounds fantastic has a standalone statement, but when you start cross-referencing them and apply them to a politcal system in progress, it all falls apart. There's so many loopholes it's amazing.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Rather than wasting my time reading and arguing everything you have said I will only address the first to point out that you need to research a little more before arguing ignorantly.

We have the technology today in multiple formats to produce zero emission engines that produce zero waste and are able to run on virtually any fuel, we have an environmental situation where we are literally disposing fuel and yet you argue that Nuclear power is a better solution.

Look up Pritchard Steam, a company that receives virtually no funding or support, learn a bit about the clean, cheap environmentally sound power alternatives available and then come back and tell me what the Government should be investing in.

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
Listen the point is this with the whole energy thing is that if we really want to change what we're doing, burning fossil fuels shouldn't even be a consideration.

This should start at the home level.
Institute funding for alternative energies for home heating. Geothermal heat exchangers are absolutely amazing. Okay now you have an electric bill. Insitute Funding and re-embursement for photo-voltaic arrays. Make them make sense to the common person.

Automobiles- Why are we burning corn and not hydrogen?

Power Delivery- OMG there are so many other options other than burning fossil fuels. I know here and Massachussetts the Cape Cod homos don't want to look at a wind farm out in the ocean, you know what someone should step in and say "too bad, you get to look at a wind farm" But this is the mindset in the country we live in. Alternative eneregy as an eye sore and an inconvienience, not a necessity. What about the midwest? Put up millions of GE windmills. MILLIONS. But we've been trying this and people don't want anything to do with it. We'd rather burn coal, because after all you can just tuck a coal plant off in the middle of nowhere.

I'm sorry but burning fossil fuels is just crazy, it's not sustainable any more and we need to change the way we look at our world. We need to change the way we behave with regards to it. We really need to take a look at our infrastructure and retool it. Not just make coal burn better. I don't think that's the solution.

I really don't understand the mindset of clean fossil fuels. How about, we've the tools to stop using fossil fuels, so lets make it happen. But I guess it's easier to take that subliminal hit from the Exxon commercial then to actually think about your situation. I don't understand why people act like they're major shareholders in Shell.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
You didn't look at Pritchard Steam did you. :noplease:

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
You didn't look at Pritchard Steam did you. :noplease:

I did actually. Good stuffs.

But none of this will ever come up in politics, because we want to make existing coal plants cleaner. Alt energy should be at the forefront, not a side note in the politcal scheme.

Oh and as far as automobile's and Pritchard- I do recall those not being able to climb hills. As far as far as being utilized in an energy distribution network- Sounds great.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
They climb hills better than an internal combustion engine. It's steam, torque down low is what they do but the original Pritchard Falcon test vehicle also out accelerated the quickest V8 on the road in Australia back then. They have had many years to refine it since then and moved away from focussing on transport applications however I think it's a crime that every bus is not powered by the Pritchard steam engine and if a bus company wakes up to it, they would not only cut cost substantially but reduce their impact on the environment and if done right could create a monopoly.

Don't forget the engine they used in the cars was only a 2 cylinder and much smaller than an internal combustion engine, as far as steam is concerned their is no limit to size, you can build a 100,000 hp engine if you wish, it's already been done. The difference with the pritchard design is it is a safe steam engine, is economic and green.

Azathoth43

ל ו ו י י ת ן
Reaction score
Please every one stop with the hydrogen stuff. It will never be viable alternative.

And nuclear power is sexy. Only two problems, what will we do with the spent fuel, and we'll be trading one importation of fuel for another.

The real question is sustainability. Is our way of living sustainable? I believe (with a far body of evidence) the answer is no. And education is key to our livability.

And how do people get tax payer dollars from being on Section 8? Also your misinformation implies people in low income brackets (ie poor people) are some how exempt from paying taxes. Been poor my whole life and I have always had to pay taxes on every thing I buy, and my wages. I'll have to look into that loophole. But then again I must be a drug dealer that drives my new Caddy to the food stamp office (tried to get food stamps once and was told my wife didn't make enough money to qualify, oh well).

DefinedInSilere

Reaction score
Its very easy for anyone to attack ANY candidates policies. Id like to see your critiques with more facts behind them and not just a pessimistic opinionated take on what you understand or think you know.

I did not originally support Obama, but I'd like to see this country change for the better. Whether any of us like it or not we have few major choices in this election and I will throw my vote for the man who has decent intentions as opposed to McBush and his bullshit ideas.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
this is how i see it. i know mccain's policies, and i know what he is about, and i know that if we elect him, there is not even a slight chance for the course of our nation to change. i hope that Obama is the one to change things, i can't say i know he will, but i am allowed to hope he will. he has very well thought out positions, and seems to be passionate about them.

D

Desecrated

Bound

You have one typical flaw;
You assume that Iraq will go to hell if america leave, and we can probably say that an Iraqi government will not look like the american government if usa pull out, but then you have to remember that the Iraqi culture is a bit different.
I see a lot of people being afraid that Iraq will have a Islamic government following the Islamic rules, and while that might be a nightmare for middle class white america, it might be exactly what a Islamic nation wants ;)

Your not abandoning the Iraqi if you move out, your setting them free.
You may have friends that are soldiers and feel that they are doing a good deed, but we have the iraqi refugees coming over here, and let's just say that they think a bit different then the american troops.

Thixotrope

Reaction score
Facts are subjective and propoganda is the status quo. No matter who gets elected they are only a puppet. Anybody remember our lovely system of check and balances? A president has to have some support from policy makers to get anything done. Rationale gets thrown out the window in political discussions because hardcore ingrained beliefs are on the chopping block. No one can admit that someone else might possibly have a better idea than themselves so why don't we all agree to disagree.

Moro

Big damn hero
Reaction score
I'm reading some stuff here and I'd like to clarify something:

Most people outside the US don't hate you guys.

I can speak from myself and all my friends and family when I say that most people don't take it personal. We don't believe you guys are to blame for all of this situation.

However, we do expect you to do something to change it, since is not in our hands. Out here we get outraged when some of you say you are not voting because you don't care or because one vote can't make a difference.

There is, however, a big, BIG hatred towards Bush. I'd like to see that fucker choke on a pretzel, that's for damn sure. But not I, nor 95% of the rest of the world will hate you, the people, for a dumb President. Specially one that got to where he is because of daddy's friends.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you vote in another Bush ;)

Latest posts

')