Meal replacement.

• Thread starter ftr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ftr

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried or is currently on a meal replacement regimen? Soylent seems to be the most popular meal replacement. Something about it appeals to me. I am currently doing Intermittent fasting, (eating daily calories in a few hour window). I am tired of going to the grocery store and figuring out what to eat each day. I just want to get my calories easily and forget about it and focus on other things. Does anyone else feel the same?

marcwormjim

Reaction score
Going by the expressed attitudes: Yes. Soylent is for you. You can also stock up on supplies to make your own in one shopping trip.

This may be unrelated, but I really hate people.

vansinn

Reaction score
You don't really need meat. We're build for a vegan/vegetarian diet, which changes when mom'n'dad starts teaching us to become carnivores - based on advertisements on foods, intended to make people buy those, for keeping the food industry busy.

Soy products are interesting, but do keep your diet varied to avoid using soy products all the time. I'm a vegan-something, not religious about it, just ~90% or so. I sublement with fish and other sea foods and on occasion, chicken, but totally keep off beef and especially pork.
Do some searches on vegan/vegetarian and bio-organic foods, and you'll easily find ways to get a healthy diet, even covering proteins.

BTW, did you know that roundabout 17 billion animals are killed yearly just to allow sinking our teeth into halfways fermented, treated with chemicals to slowdown this process, so-called meat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
I'm not going to get into a meat/vegan debate, but I will not eat soy. A lot of cheap protein-rich foods contain soy. However, the protein quality of soy is low compared to meats. This means that you need a larger portion of soy to reach your daily requirements.

Also, soy increases estrogen production. Unless you have low estrogen already, I would stay away.

Don't take my word for it, do some research.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
We're build for a vegan/vegetarian diet

This is not true. All the current anatomical and physiological evidence suggest that the Homo genus have developed as omnivores. Even the vegan and vegetarian scientists (disregarding fanatics) agree with this as a fact of science.

BTW, did you know that roundabout 17 billion animals are killed yearly just to allow sinking our teeth into halfways fermented, treated with chemicals to slowdown this process, so-called meat?

It is not the eating of animals that is the problem, it is the scale on which it must function due to human overpopulation. But you can say that about anything, be it rosewood fingerboards, nickel batteries, pet amphibians or airline travel.
The solution is always rationing, which in turn always end up dealing with socioeconomic status. Only rich people will eat healthy meat in the future because, as you point out, the cheap, over-industrialized meat is a hazard to peoples health and will in time (like trans fats and smoking before it) be uncovered and slowly faced out one social class after another until it is as outdated as deepfried rhino.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried or is currently on a meal replacement regimen?

Check out Dr Berg. He has some very good, healthy shakes that function as meal replacements. I can personally recommend them.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been vegetarian for fifteen years. I disagree with anyone who says that humans are definitely meant to be herbivores. Prehistoric humans ate whatever they could manage to get.

That said, a vegetarian diet is 100% manageable with modern convenience. I don't miss meat at all. But then, I never really did. I suppose if you try vegetarian and miss meat, you probably aren't going to stay vegetarian indefinitely, but, give it a try and see what you think.

bpprox22

String Breaker
Reaction score
You don't really need meat. We're build for a vegan/vegetarian diet, which changes when mom'n'dad starts teaching us to become carnivores - based on advertisements on foods, intended to make people buy those, for keeping the food industry busy.

Why do we have canine teeth then? *cough cough* to eat meat *cough*

Disclaimer: I’m a meat eater and don’t mind if you are vegan for moral/ethical reasons. However, I have a problem with people who misrepresent scientific literature to further their agenda or to "scientifically" validate their decisions.

I agree with CrazyDean. I stay far away from soy.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
I stay far away from soy.

Count me in on that one aswell. There is a reason why people in Asia ferment their soy (tempeh, miso, natto etc) and we don't. They've eaten it since the dawn of time and have it embedded in their culture with all the necessary knowledge of how to eat it, whilst we use it to spike hybrid-culture takeaway crap and cheapen fabricated trash-meals. There are simply too many cases of estrogen-problems in conjunction with increased soy-consumption for it to be a coincidence.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The estrogen thing is horseshit. Soy does not contain estrogen. Yes, it contains a chemical sort-of-kind-of like estrogen. You know what contains actual estrogen? Cows.

Fighting junk science with more junk science just makes us all full of junk. :2c:

Human health relies on a balanced diet. You aren't going to get that from eating a big gelatinous blob of tofu for every meal, but truth be told, Americans (and Europeans, to a lesser extent) eat too much meat, in general, but also too much grain/starch. A more varied diet of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, pulses, some meat and some dairy is as good as it gets. Eating lots of white bread, potatoes, deep-fried chicken and fatty cuts of beef is pretty close to the worst diet.

ftr

Reaction score
The soy aspect doesn't appeal to me at all either. I was just giving an example of Soylent, because it is the most popular and the purpose of it is what I am interested in. I was thinking of trying to find an alternative to Soylent which doesn't have soy as a primary ingredient. I am not too knowledgeable of all of the meal replacement options right now.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
The estrogen thing is horseshit. Soy does not contain estrogen. Yes, it contains a chemical sort-of-kind-of like estrogen. You know what contains actual estrogen? Cows.
Fighting junk science with more junk science just makes us all full of junk. :2c:

The pharmacokinetics of all the phytoestrogens in soy is not near the point of true understanding yet and yes, alot of it is probably horseshit, but that doesn't make it junk science nor does it magically remove all the problems associated with it.
It is, as most other things we "know", a developing story.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The pharmacokinetics of all the phytoestrogens in soy is not near the point of true understanding yet and yes, alot of it is probably horseshit, but that doesn't make it junk science nor does it magically remove all the problems associated with it.
It is, as most other things we "know", a developing story.
You missed my main point, though. If you care so much about estrogen, then, by the same logic, you'd have to cut out any meat from female animals.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
You missed my main point, though. If you care so much about estrogen, then, by the same logic, you'd have to cut out any meat from female animals.

Didn't miss it. The problem seems to be specific kinds of the stuff that trigger specific reactions, not the entire concept of ingesting sexhormones.
Going by the logic you propose, women who worry about testosterone would have to avoid meat from male animals.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not the logic I proposed. It's the logic you used when you argued that "estrogen-problems" result from "soy-consumption." You can't have it both ways- so either it matters in every case, or it doesn't matter at all.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
To get back on topic, I know some guys who tried the soylent thing a while ago, and it seemed to go well for them, but they both stopped for whatever reason. One was just doing it out of curiosity and got bored of it, I think. The other, I don't know for sure, but I *think* he was told by a personal trainer to change his diet, so he dropped the soylent thing and started just following the advice of the trainer instead (which had to do with upping how much he ate in the first place).

Human health relies on a balanced diet.
I'm far from being a vegetarian, but I can appreciate that I think a lot of people eat a lot more meat than they "need". I actually get into arguments about it from people who insist I need to eat more meat, because it's "not healthy not to eat some meat every day", according to them. I made some pretty major dietary changes a couple of years ago (along with some other lifestyle changes), and a big part of it was scaling back how much meat and pasta I eat. I still have some kind of meat maybe 2-3 days out of the week, but it's not every day. The majority of my diet now is fruit/veg/etc., and I arguably still go through a lot of bread, but I'm probably in the best state of health I can ever remember being in. I don't think my health improved specifically because of less meat, but rather because of more variety, (and smaller portion sized overall).

I don't think people eat too much meat because "meat is bad", I think people eat too much meat because they eat too much in general.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
It's not the logic I proposed. It's the logic you used when you argued that "estrogen-problems" result from "soy-consumption." You can't have it both ways- so either it matters in every case, or it doesn't matter at all.

What you just typed makes no sense at all. If soy creates SPECIFIC estrogen-problems in the body thru a not-fully-understood chain of events due to its effect on CERTAIN types of estrogen-functions in the body automatically means I say "soy increases estrogen in the body, therefore it is bad because too much estrogen is bad because that is what blogger X told me"?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
What you just typed makes no sense at all. If soy creates SPECIFIC estrogen-problems in the body thru a not-fully-understood chain of events due to its effect on CERTAIN types of estrogen-functions in the body automatically means I say "soy increases estrogen in the body, therefore it is bad because too much estrogen is bad because that is what blogger X told me"?
So, your argument is:

1. A person eats soy.
2. ?????
3. Estrogen problems.

That's pretty specific. [sarcasm]

Anyway, there is no estrogen-based harm in eating soy.

(sources:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0089288
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11880595
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/soy-latest-research)