Medium Fast 2-5-1 Jazz Practice Play-along

MeriTone Music

Reaction score
For the jazz players...

I thought I'd share this medium uptempo 2-5-1 jazz backing track in C major, which you might find useful for your jazz practice...

II: Dm7 I G7 I Cmaj7 I Cmaj7 :II

On the track there are more extended versions of these basic chords - as is common in jazz :)

In theory, you can play C major scale all over it.... outlining the chord tones/arpeggios:

Cmaj7 arpeggio = c e g b

Dmin7 arpeggio = d f a c

G7 arpeggio = g b d f

Playing C Major scale will result in C Ionian (Cmaj7 chords), D Dorian (Dm7 chords) and G Mixolydian (G7 chords) - all the same 7 notes...

Next up, you can try out some more advanced colours on the dominant chord (G7/G13) by using the

G diminished 1/2-1 tone scale = G Ab Bb B C# D E F (G)

Here's a slower version as well, in case this tempo is a bit fast:

Medium Swing 2-5-1 jazz Backing Track

Enjoy :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing!

May your life be full of guitars and pie!

kekkuliheikki

Reaction score
You should not play C major scale.

Start with chord-tones. Then 7th arpeggios. Then add 9th and b9. Then work out higher extensions.

Once you have visualised these start on scales. Dorian for D, Altered for G and so on.

Also try playing D Dorian for both Dm7 and G7 to get the Sus4 sound on the dominant.

timbale

Reaction score
You should not play C major scale.

Start with chord-tones. Then 7th arpeggios. Then add 9th and b9. Then work out higher extensions.

Once you have visualised these start on scales. Dorian for D, Altered for G and so on.

Also try playing D Dorian for both Dm7 and G7 to get the Sus4 sound on the dominant.

what the ..:squint:? i thought i wasn't that bad in music theorie..

daedae

Reaction score
what the ..:squint:? i thought i wasn't that bad in music theorie..

Yeah, but jazz theory is special ;) You can get by with just the major scale, and it will sound okay; it will sound better if you can aim for the chord tones. But it won't really sound like "jazz" unless you're approaching the chords a certain way, playing altered stuff over the dominant, etc.

(I say all this as somebody who sort of understands these things are true, but can't put it into practice at all.)

MeriTone Music

Reaction score
Yeah, but jazz theory is special ;) You can get by with just the major scale, and it will sound okay; it will sound better if you can aim for the chord tones. But it won't really sound like "jazz" unless you're approaching the chords a certain way, playing altered stuff over the dominant, etc.

(I say all this as somebody who sort of understands these things are true, but can't put it into practice at all.)

Word! :yesway: