Megadeth parts ways with Ellefson

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
- Around 2003 or 4 my freinds band jammed in the same building where F5 did and I talked to Dave (Ellefson) once for like 1 minute (enough to say I'm a fan, appreciate him etc..) and I shook his hand (yes, that same hand). I think it gave me special powers for a short time, but aparently I used them up on cheap thrills and cheap women. Totally worth it. I still haven't washed that hand to this day!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lopp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Considering that people in this thread have brought up Megadeth needing a new vocalist, we could see Jason be bassist and vocalist if this were to ever happen.

Geddy Lee is available. Bonus that he can be bassist and vocalist.

That is one of my favorite songs of all time. Not just favorite Megadeth song, but all time favorite of all songs. Always liked the bass line. Thanks for sharing the solo bass.

CrimsonStar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just writing some of my thoughts, I'm no expert, I might be just talking out of my ass, and English isn't my native language, so please bear with me.

I totally get why Ellefson got fired. Do I agree with it? Maybe not. My point is: Megadeth is more than a 4-piece band. It is a business, which has a lot more moving parts than the band members: tour managers, pr people, tech guys, assistants, roadies, bus and truck drivers, just to name a few from the top of my head. This whole thing doesn't just affect Ellefson and Mustaine - it affects everyone involved IF the whole incident causes trouble on the touring and marketing sides of the band. Considering that the past year with the pandemic rolling around, the touring business has dried up completely, making it difficult to pay for all those people who work for Megadeth.

When touring is possible again, there will be a fierce competion for the the touring circuit, and Megadeth, while being a legendary band in the metal scene, is still a metal band meaning it is still on the outskirts of the music sales. Controversy might have been a good thing in the past, but nowadays venues might not want to associate with these kind of controversies. It doesn't really matter that the girl involved has been a consenting adult - the word got out and the paparazzicunts have been milking the possibility that she might have not been a consenting adult. These people most likely won't be righting the rumors because it doesn't sell as good as the accusations. Combine these things with the fact that Ellefsons and Mustaines working relationship had been already strained for who knows how long - it might be all the way back to the 18 million dollar court case in the early 2000s.

If you put yourself to Mustaines shoes, which option would you pick: keep Ellefson in the band and suffer the possible consequences that might affect a lot of people and their livelyhood, or fire Ellefson and more likely secure the livelyhood of you and all the people who work for and with you?

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he didnt even get his iconic signature Jacksons until he rejoined Megadeth more recently.

Just curious what will happen with Jackson since the dude literally has like 4 or 5 signature models with them now.

From what I recall he had a Jackson bass in the 90s as well as a Peavy signature during his time away from Megadeth.

Reaction score
(...)

If you put yourself to Mustaines shoes, which option would you pick: keep Ellefson in the band and suffer the Train of Consequences that might affect a lot of people and their livelyhood, or fire Ellefson and more likely secure the livelyhood of you and all the people who work for and with you?

Sorry, I had to... I... "Couldn't help but think..."

Kemono

Reaction score
Just writing some of my thoughts, I'm no expert, I might be just talking out of my ass, and English isn't my native language, so please bear with me.

I totally get why Ellefson got fired. Do I agree with it? Maybe not. My point is: Megadeth is more than a 4-piece band. It is a business, which has a lot more moving parts than the band members: tour managers, pr people, tech guys, assistants, roadies, bus and truck drivers, just to name a few from the top of my head. This whole thing doesn't just affect Ellefson and Mustaine - it affects everyone involved IF the whole incident causes trouble on the touring and marketing sides of the band. Considering that the past year with the pandemic rolling around, the touring business has dried up completely, making it difficult to pay for all those people who work for Megadeth.

When touring is possible again, there will be a fierce competion for the the touring circuit, and Megadeth, while being a legendary band in the metal scene, is still a metal band meaning it is still on the outskirts of the music sales. Controversy might have been a good thing in the past, but nowadays venues might not want to associate with these kind of controversies. It doesn't really matter that the girl involved has been a consenting adult - the word got out and the paparazzicunts have been milking the possibility that she might have not been a consenting adult. These people most likely won't be righting the rumors because it doesn't sell as good as the accusations. Combine these things with the fact that Ellefsons and Mustaines working relationship had been already strained for who knows how long - it might be all the way back to the 18 million dollar court case in the early 2000s.

If you put yourself to Mustaines shoes, which option would you pick: keep Ellefson in the band and suffer the possible consequences that might affect a lot of people and their livelyhood, or fire Ellefson and more likely secure the livelyhood of you and all the people who work for and with you?
If Ellefson screwed up his family by messing around, yeah, that's bad, but I say that's on him to sort out. He is a bad ass bass player and was an integral part of Megadeth. Good reasons to keep him. Focusing on his life's purpose would be good therapy, too. Probably Ellefson is going through it now with his world crashing down on him.

Dave Mustaine is a different kind of person with his own experiences that unfortunately led him down the desperate and misfortunate path of religion. Religion demands faith and that defies rationality.

I don't have any of Dave Mustaine's experiences, so I can't say what he should do. I can't even play half of all the Megadeth songs! I really admire this band and what they've accomplished. And after all they've been through, it makes me questions Ellefson being dumped.

But then again, maybe Mustaine felt Ellefson was too disingenuous. Maybe Ellefson had totally misrepresented himself and Mustaine felt deeply betrayed and thought, "who are you?!", and then started wondering if his past with Ellefson is even real.

Aside: Having relations with underage girls is ok, or at least it would be if it weren't illegal. 17 is a grown woman. Girls finish puberty mostly in their 14th year and it's totally normal for normal heterosexual men to find pubescent girls attractive. I say we totally abolish age of consent laws. They don't help anyone and only cause problems. Wanted but illegal sex is victimless crime.

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Aside: Having relations with underage girls is ok, or at least it would be if it weren't illegal. 17 is a grown woman. Girls finish puberty mostly in their 14th year and it's totally normal for normal heterosexual men to find pubescent girls attractive. I say we totally abolish age of consent laws. They don't help anyone and only cause problems. Wanted but illegal sex is victimless crime.

Countdown to maturation

manu80

Reaction score
we all know that whatever the details of this affair are, medias will take and distort it, and it the middle of a new album promo, you don't need this and get shit thrown at from everywhere with twisted infos and facts.... Guy is grown up, you know that today doing such things as getting taped while m.......ing, or texting weird things (arnie hammer?) will fire back at you, especially if you're an established persona. And with Junior and Mustaine relationship which is just basic in megadeth business since the trial, well I get Mustaine 's decision not to be taken in a Tornado of Balls ;)
On the other hand, with what happened to Dave, i just hope he'll still be able to perform well.

Dooky

Reaction score
Metal and rock are dead; they aren't "cool" anymore. Hasn't for about 20+ years.
I think it's considered "cool" by the people that like it.
But, you totally miss my point. What I'm saying is, not many people are likely to say they are fans of a band or musician that faps their John Thomas over the internet.

Dooky

Reaction score
Being fired from a rock band because being unfaithful. That's not very rock n'roll.
I keep seeing people say this. But how is it "rock 'n' roll" to be sat at home alone, on your office swivel chair, in front of your computer, with your hand around your willy, fapping furiously to a girl over the internet? To me that seems like the lamest thing a "Rockstar" can do.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I think it's considered "cool" by the people that like it.
But, you totally miss my point. What I'm saying is, not many people are likely to say they are fans of a band or musician that faps their John Thomas over the internet.

dude did you get lost on the way from the christian rock forum.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
First off, gross.

Second, age of consent is not about physical maturity. It's about the mental capacity to consent. The point being to ensure that nobody is being coerced into something. People are still developing physically and mentally into their 20s.

Third, I don't know if you've spent time around a 14 year old recently, but just no. An adult should not being having a sexual relationship with a 14 year old. They are in no way ready for it.

Fourth, gross. Seek help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')