Megadeth: Peace Sells...but Who's Buying vs. Rust in Peace

Peace Sells... but Who's Buying or Rust in Peace?

• Peace Sells... but Who's Buying

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Rust in Peace

Votes: 106 81.5%

• Total voters

AdamMaz

Reaction score
RIP has a couple of lulls and I appreciate Peace Sells as being more aggressive.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Peace Sells for me.

Wake Up Dead used to be used for Headbanger's Ball theme music on occasion....that's enough nostalgia for me alone to favor PS alone if I already didn't love that album.

I have to give RiP props though. Hanger 18's music video put them at the top of the vid category with being the largest and most expensive production in MTV's history for a music video at the time.

wankerness

Reaction score
This is a hard one. Peace Sells is more consistent, I like Chris Poland's style more than Friedmann's (not to say Friedmann is bad by any stretch of the imagination) and I love the fury of it as compared to the much more sterile Rust in Peace, but RIP has Take No Prisoners, Tornado of Souls and Rust in Peace...Polaris on it which destroy everything on the former. I guess RIP just cause I got it a couple years before Peace Sells and thus have listened to it a lot more times. I still usually end up skipping Holy Wars once it gets to the bridge, Five Magics, and Poison was the Cure though :eek:

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
I bought Peace Sells on cassette when I was in 6th grade (My first Megadeth album) so I have always been partial to it. Rust is good but no where near Peace Sells for me. Good Mourning/Black Friday is still one of my fav. songs to this day.:hbang:

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
Rust in peace by far imo. Peace sells has some great classic songs, but as a whole, Rust is more consistent, more memorable and just has more good songs imo.

And the cover song on Peace sells just doesn't work at all imo, really brings the album down for me.

Rosal76

Reaction score
Both are great albums, but I have to go with "Rust in peace" When I hear Chris Poland's solo's, although he's a great guitar player, he sounds like a "heavy metal guitar player", which is good because that's what they play anyways. When I hear Marty Friedman, he has that "middle Eastern vibe" to it that I just don't hear anyone else play. :cool:

Seven

Contributor
Reaction score
This is like choosing a favorite kid haha.

I voted Peace Sells, but I love both equally.

I voted for Peace Sells mainly because of this tune:

Reaction score
You posted the remixed RIP with the worse vocals on Five Magics and Take No Prisoners man

Reaction score
Both are great albums, but I have to go with "Rust in peace" When I hear Chris Poland's solo's, although he's a great guitar player, he sounds like a "heavy metal guitar player", which is good because that's what they play anyways. When I hear Marty Friedman, he has that "middle Eastern vibe" to it that I just don't hear anyone else play. :cool:

:lol:

Poland is one of the most unique guitar players in the world. I prefer Rust In Peace and I like Friedman's playing on it more than Poland's on Peace Sells but it's a damn close call.

sojourner

Reaction score
Rust in Peace for me.. i prefer Chris Poland as a jazz/fusion player than a thrash metal player. His stuff with OHM is way more interesting than Peace Sells :2c:

Reaction score
I am a massive Megadeth fan but for me, this isnt even close. Rust in Peace is their mona lisa.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
:lol:

Poland is one of the most unique guitar players in the world. I prefer Rust In Peace and I like Friedman's playing on it more than Poland's on Peace Sells but it's a damn close call.

Quoted for the damn truth of it - there are more guitarists out there with a similar style to Marty's than there are similar to Poland's, in fact I've never really heard anyone do the synthesizer style bending thing like Poland does and really make the basis of a style.

For the albums, RIP wins it for me, just. Both are brilliant, but I really feel like RIP was Megadeth's golden moment, and probably my favourite thrash album of all time, even though I prefer Poland to Marty. There are more memorable moments on RIP, like nearly every riff was a moment of great inspiration when the band wrote it.

Oh, and RIP has "Poison was the cure" - what a fucking song!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate this question. I love the holy (wars) hell out of the riffs in RIP, but Peace Sells is an incredible important album to me as far as my development as both a musician and a metal head. Also, Chris Poland is my favorite guitarist to play in Megadeth.

tedtan

Reaction score
Love both, but RIP wins this hands down for me. Not even a question in my mind.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
a third poland being one of the most unique players ever in metal. he even said that pretty much all of his influences were fusion guys, and not even guitarists most of the time. his bends and phrasing are just as distinct as marty's are.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
RIP for me. My favourite megadeth album is still Youthanasia (no tomatoes, please, I also like Cryptic Writings :p ), but RIP was the first "current" megadeth album I listened to and I like it more than previous era albums.

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
Rust in Peace. On the strength of Tornado of Souls at least...

How pertinent, too... woke up this morning after dreaming that Dave Mustaine was my neighbor and was trying to extort me by saying that I dented his pickup truck :lol:

**EDIT: Chris Poland, ladies and gents. Epic wankage at 1:14:

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
This is like choosing a favorite kid haha.

I voted Peace Sells, but I love both equally.

I voted for Peace Sells mainly because of this tune:

^ This. Great song out of many on that album. I love both albums but Peace Sells is by-far my pick out of the two. I was in 7th grade when this album came out, we used to sneak our walkmans into school and my best friend passed me one morning in the hall and handed me Peace Sells and told me to just listen to it - I didn't buy lunch that day, saved my money and had my mom take me by the record store so I could buy that tape. Good Mourning, The Conjuring, Wake-Up Dead - hell, every song on there is awesome. If I was born a few years later Rust in Peace might be my favorite of the two, they are both great albums, but Peace Sells just has a certain magic about it to me.

Latest posts

')