Member Photography Picture of the Day Thread

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    photography
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
I want a Husky so bad. This is from a dog sled race 2 weeks ago. This guy was SUPER friendly! I have a lot more pictures and it was really hard to choose. :3

IMG_0237.jpg

Rebel XT - Stock Lens.

F3.5
1/250s
ISO 100
24mm Focal Length

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Wretched, you are my favorite photographer. Teach me your ways. I need to get a speed light badly.

All of the photos you take are superb. The bikes, the car, etc. I love them.

I should CS3 and learn the ways. I've been using Gimp for too long.

Wretched

Reaction score
Wretched, you are my favorite photographer. Teach me your ways. I need to get a speed light badly.

All of the photos you take are superb. The bikes, the car, etc. I love them.

I should CS3 and learn the ways. I've been using Gimp for too long.

Thanks for your kind words, Josh. Best I can suggest is to learn to shoot manually and shoot a LOT. Practice makes perfect. You don't need awesome gear, just to know how to use it and learning to shoot manual will really improve your work as you learn the relationship between different settings and how they affect an image.

I've been using the old CS for years and only JUST upgraded to CS5 this week. So I'll have some new tools and upgraded tools to use! :)

There's tons of great info on the net for free as to learning to use flashes. Start with the extensive tutorials on Strobist.com.

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm shooting with a Canon 20D and the EF-S 17-85mm lens. The next lens I have in mind is EF 24-105mm. I love it.

Here is my latest work. I will probably edit some of these further to black out the entire background to make his colors pop out more. They're certainly not the greatest pictures and I won't call myself a professional. Some of you dudes are way better than I. Some people just CAN'T take pictures of a fish so I am proud of them. If you disagree, he will attack you.
2ibkzd4.jpg

r8dv2v.jpg

Excuse the dirt in this picture, he was attacking a piece of shrimp:
2zstqud.jpg

28mob2e.jpg

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Got my first camera ever and went out to take a few photos. Heres a couple of the better ones from my first lot.

All were taken with a Canon EOS 450D digital SLR using a 55-250mm Telephoto lens. :yesway:

Dead%20Flower%20-%20Altered%20%28Small%29.jpg

Tree%20Shot%20-%20Altered%20%28Small%29.jpg

Tree%20Shot%202%20-%20Altered%20%28Small%29.jpg

All of them had some editing in Photoshop, the last one more than the rest. The only editing was contrast in all three.

Wretched

Reaction score
The first tree shot is nice with the sun coming through! Would have been sweet with a nice model standing seductively next to the trunk.

It IS hard to shoot fish, Josh. Not a bad job at all.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Here are a couple more I took yesterday. My two dogs, Riley and Maggie (the black one and the tan on in that order), and an attempt at shooting the moon. None of these ones were altered at all.

Riley%201%20-%20Not%20Altered%20%28Small%29.jpg

Maggie%201%20-%20Not%20Altered%20%28Small%29.jpg

Moon%20-%20Not%20Altered%20%28Small%29.jpg

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
moon shooting is hard. you will need a filter and a tripod.

my best moon shot was its reflection in a clam swimming pool..luck shot really!!!

your sun through the tree was cool too, again with a simple filter you might have got different results.

great stuff misha..how's the hair doing?

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
moon shooting is hard. you will need a filter and a tripod.

my best moon shot was its reflection in a clam swimming pool..luck shot really!!!

your sun through the tree was cool too, again with a simple filter you might have got different results.

great stuff misha..how's the hair doing?

Cheers dude. I need to get a few more filters, the only one I have is to cut out reflection and sunlight stuff (I forget hwat it's called :lol:).

I'll get there :metal:

LavE

Reaction score
Nice portrait, Lave!
What's the texture behind? Stone?

Thanks man!

it's an old concrete wall in a basement of a bathhouse.
It's a really cool area with many diffrent spooky things:)

We did a musicvideo there too, for promotional use.

Wretched

Reaction score
Here's my latest published work: a 1932 5-window coupe. These two shows are composites of several shots to get the foreground, subject and background exactly how I wanted it. Lit with Canon Speedlites, triggered with Cactus V4s, bare on full power.

You can see four shots on my Flickr page here: CLICK

5347532564_3d60c9a005.jpg

5347529212_f2612b4e10.jpg

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I had my first attempt at HDR stuff today. Unfortunately I dont have a tripod, so there are some artifacts/blurs around the edges of the trees, but really I don't think it turned out tooooo bad. It's a view from just out the front of my place at the moment, zoomed in lots of course.

HDR%201%20%28small%29.jpg

EDIT: Also, here are some clouds I took this afternoon too.

Clouds%20%28Small%29.jpg

Wretched

Reaction score
Nice one. Haven't gotten around to trying HDR yet. I like the stuff people do when it doesn't look too artificial, but is used more to properly expose the entire frame. A lot of the time it seems cartoonish and the edges have halos around them etc.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that was my problem... No tripod meant some ghosting and the leaves are blurred :(

The next one I try will be less extreme though :yesway:

')