Mesa 50/50 or Velocity 300 for Pod HD

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
My girl is getting me a power amp for my bday. I have the velocity 100 and like it, and was set on the 300. Now the mesa 50/50 has become an option. Im concerned about the weight, but weight be damned if the tube power section will kill the 300.

Would love to hear from owners...given the choice, which would you prefer live? I gig regularly, but i can handle the weight if the mesa is a big upgrade. Love my tube amp heads, but never gone tube with a modeler.

My set up is pod hd pro (no cab models)-- stereo power amp --- splawn 4x12.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Well, I have a Mesa Fifty-Fifty (oldschool version) and it sounds pretty badass. It has a Low Power feature that gives a slightly more saturated tone which can be useful in some scenarios. It also sounds pretty smokin at a bearable home volume. My neighbors probably still hate my guts but it's definitely sounds better at lower volume than my Mark IV and at a level where I don't need my earplugs for casual playing.

However, it does not have depth / resonance control like modern power amps. I'm not sure if the newer 2:50 does or not.

I don't have experience with the Velocity series but I doubt I'll be parting with my Fifty-Fifty any time soon. I might however see if I can add a resonance function.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^ I actually had a rocktron "bass pro touring edition" velocity power amp for a couple weeks (sold it) with those extra controls controlsitlooked alot like the older 300. I sold it because one channel didnt work so it was 1x150 im guessing, the rocktron folks said it was same as the 300 only centered on different frequency for the controls.

Im assuming, maybe incorrectly, that the mesa will provide that low end thump naturally. My dual rec certainly does. If the 50/50 will get me closer to that, then it would be worth the extra weight and rack space

Bunfather - the carvin is on my radar too, but with the mesa being about the same price, its hard to pick carvin over mesa for me for about the same basic specs

My main concern is whether a tube power amp will be a big improvement over the velocity. I have a feeling im going to have to at least try tubes before i can settle on a SS power amp. GAS and all...

Mordacain

Reaction score
^^ I actually had a rocktron "bass pro touring edition" velocity power amp for a couple weeks (sold it) with those extra controls controlsitlooked alot like the older 300. I sold it because one channel didnt work so it was 1x150 im guessing, the rocktron folks said it was same as the 300 only centered on different frequency for the controls.

Im assuming, maybe incorrectly, that the mesa will provide that low end thump naturally. My dual rec certainly does. If the 50/50 will get me closer to that, then it would be worth the extra weight and rack space

Bunfather - the carvin is on my radar too, but with the mesa being about the same price, its hard to pick carvin over mesa for me for about the same basic specs

My main concern is whether a tube power amp will be a big improvement over the velocity. I have a feeling im going to have to at least try tubes before i can settle on a SS power amp. GAS and all...

It depends on the lineage of the Fifty-Fifty honestly. The earlier version is voiced more like a Mark power section to mate well with the Studio and Quad pre (which is what I use with it).

The later versions are voiced to work with the Mesa Triaxis, specifically more of a rectifier voicing (low end thump).

I also use an AMT tube cake which emulates a tube power amp pretty well and that I like the sound of for practice. The Fifty-Fifty does sound noticeably better, there's a lot more detail in the midrange and low-mids.

Not sure how the velocity sounds. It was a contender when I was still considering running my Pod HD into a power amp. If you have found a Fifty-Fifty at a good price, I would be surprised if it didn't sound better than a Velocity. Weight and tube replacement costs might be something to consider just to make the decision easier.

I only got my Fifty-Fifty because the last owner was selling it really low and I'd just picked up a Quad Pre.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks Mordacain...good info there. I think i am going to go with the Mesa. It would be easy to sell in a worst case scenario anyway

WarMachine

Reaction score
My main concern is whether a tube power amp will be a big improvement over the velocity. I have a feeling im going to have to at least try tubes before i can settle on a SS power amp.
Dude, lemme tell ya, being a tube snob for the last decade it still amazes me that i am currently using a QSC poweramp with my Rocktron preamp. The tone is just soooo much cleaner and without running it through my 5150 it doesnt color my tone. Granted, it did sound killer but with a dedicated PA it is just so much more articulate. I say go for it dude, snatch the 300 and enjoy! If weight is the issue check out matrix, if im telling you right either the 800 or 1000FX weighs like 8lbs dude and they are both 1U in space. Im DEFINITELY picking one up.........if i ever get some dough lmao

Manhell

Reaction score
Hello,

I use a 50/50 (not the 2:50) with my Axe Fx and I got to say that it is a awesome sounding power amp for digital modeler because due to its more midrange characteristic it handles the power amp sims very well and the result is a rig that can be super versatile, it's a very clear power amp and very well build too, I got mine for 400€ and at that price a Mesa/Boogie is a steal.

If you find a cheap one go for it.

Mordacain

Reaction score
Dude, lemme tell ya, being a tube snob for the last decade it still amazes me that i am currently using a QSC poweramp with my Rocktron preamp. The tone is just soooo much cleaner and without running it through my 5150 it doesnt color my tone. Granted, it did sound killer but with a dedicated PA it is just so much more articulate. I say go for it dude, snatch the 300 and enjoy! If weight is the issue check out matrix, if im telling you right either the 800 or 1000FX weighs like 8lbs dude and they are both 1U in space. Im DEFINITELY picking one up.........if i ever get some dough lmao

To my understanding, the Velocity is not a clean SS power amp. It is meant to color the tone like a tube amp would.

The Mesa will likely be easier to move if you don't care for it.

WarMachine

Reaction score
To my understanding, the Velocity is not a clean SS power amp. It is meant to color the tone like a tube amp would.

The Mesa will likely be easier to move if you don't care for it.
Yeah you're right, it would color the tone with the reactance and presence, that's why i mentioned matrix as well :) but i think with either route he would most likely leave with a smile on his face.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I dig the Rocktrons. The V300 was awesome. The reactance knob was great. However, one of the best poweramps I ever played through was the Matrix GT800. Really clear (no tone coloring), fast shipping (3 days from the UK!) and great support.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I was just posting about this in another thread lol. I am really considering getting a GM50 provided it has the same tonal character as the others. I can't think of anything cooler than putting that in my 4x12 dude, thats ....ing killer!......that is until i can rig a heineken tap inside my rack case :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah you're right, it would color the tone with the reactance and presence, that's why i mentioned matrix as well :) but i think with either route he would most likely leave with a smile on his face.

Someone just posted some frequency graphs of the 300 on another forum, and it showed that when both controls were on 5 it was flat response. They subtracted and added from there.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score

Yeah that Matrix sounds like the bees knees but it's a bit out of my price range. It's posts like this, coupled with my own experience with the velocity 100 that has me second guessing going tube with the pod. And i agree the velocity DOES color the tone - with cleans it's really evident, warms everything up, even gives it some desirable "hair" - and that's just the 100

Another thing i have to consider is most gigs i play now the trend is low stage volume, which i'm not a huge fan of but that's what works well for sound. Either way i love having that power and cab on stage, so no FRFR for me right now unless my power amp dies at a gig.

first world problems!! My bday is the 5th, so i'll report back. I'm lucky to have a great woman working on this for me, that's for damn sure! Thanks for all the good info and opinions on this

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I can't comment on the 50/50, but I own a V300 and it sounds excellent with my Kemper through a 2x12. I am really happy with the versatility. The Bogners sound like Bogners, the Fender Deluxes sound Deluxe. The two colouring knobs definitely do add something to the tone, but they don't seem to take away from the profiled power sections much either. I had a problem with the first V300 out of the box, but Rocktron mailed a new one out right away and sent a UPS label so I could return the faulty unit at no cost to me. Their customer service and 5 year warranty are outstanding.

ItsYaBoyTee

Gots The Runs
Reaction score
Hey, not sure if this is relevant, but I'm located in VB and have a L6 POD HD Pro rig going through a Velocity 300 you can check out and see how it sounds in person. Something to think about?

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
Velocity 300 owner here,
I tested it against other "clean" solid state poweramps and it only colors the tone if you use the reactance and definition knobs, which you can simply not use and you will have exactly the tone you dialed in. They are still fantastic controls to do last minute tweaking on stage depending on room acoustics and such, especially if you are using a pod and you have no way to change the general eq of every single patch.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with any of the two, but I would always recommend a solid state poweramp to amplify a pod to fully get the sound you are expecting.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I've owned a rocktron velocity 300 and been in a band with another HD500 user who used the mesa 50:50

Get the Mesa 50:50. It sounds bigger, better and much more natural.

If you want a SS poweramp, get the Matrix GT800FX. That's the best SS poweramp I've owned/used.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
I've owned a rocktron velocity 300 and been in a band with another HD500 user who used the mesa 50:50

Get the Mesa 50:50. It sounds bigger, better and much more natural.

If you want a SS poweramp, get the Matrix GT800FX. That's the best SS poweramp I've owned/used.

How does the matrix compare to the mesa?

Mordacain

Reaction score
How does the matrix compare to the mesa?

I haven't played one, but looking at the direct price, looks like it would cost twice as much.

One thing I neglected to mention with regards to using the Pod with any poweramp that adds coloration, I'd suggest using the preamp models for most uses. There are certain occasions where you'll want the model to include the power amp modeling, but for most purposes, you'll get better tone using just the preamp models. Of course this is all up to your own ears. That being said, there is generally more clarity using the preamp models, at least with the higain amps.

When I used my HD500 with the DT25, this was the rule of thumb, when I start using the Tube Cake, it carried over. I haven't bothered trying my old presets through the 50-50 yet, but I wager for the most part they'll sound much better. There were a very few models that benefited from the EL-84s in the DT25, like the Vox models so for things that use those you might want to use full models.

')