Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-O-Verb

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
My dad's friend is letting us experiment with some of his gear since he doesn't play guitar anymore. He gave us his old Mesa Trem-O-Verb head with the custom white tolex in good shape, a Marshall JCM 900 Lead 1936 2x12 (we actually bought another one because we liked it so much), and a lot of pedals. I was playing the Mesa today with my Maxon OD808 as a boost and my ISP Decimator noise gate. It sounded great. I played it on the orange channel with the Vintage High Gain switch on. I don't like the Modern High Gain switch on the red channel because it sounds EXTREMELY mid scooped which actually makes sense because at the time this amp was made, metal players scooped their mids a lot. But I compared the Vintage High Gain orange channel to my 6505+ which had the mids turned all the way up, and the Mesa still had more mid range. Anyways, what do you guys think of this amp? I think it sounded awesome even at low volume. I can't even imagine how great it sounds turned up! :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Promit

Reaction score
The Recto is the amp I would describe as literally sounding like metal. As in, it feels and sounds like physical metal is involved in creating this sound. Something about the way it "barks" and the overall layout of the sound is utterly unique (though it does vary over the dozens of versions of the Rectifier over the years).

At VERY low volumes it can have a high end fizziness issue but I think that's relatively common when the high gainers are really choked off. My Jet City does it too. It clears up once you get to a decent practice volume and only gets better from there.

Jayd41

Reaction score
The Tremoverb is a special model of Dual Rectifier.
It was Mesa's flagship when it was released. Very awesome amp.
It has been discontinued for over 10 years yet several big name artists still tour with their Tremoverbs and nothing else.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I tend to use the Vintage High Gain on my Rectoverb too, when boosting with a tubescreamer. I try to emphasize the coarse "saw" kind of parts of the midrange. Love it! The amp is glorious through V30/G12K combo. Grats on the find, that guy had dope equipment.

Promit

Reaction score
I'd tweak the mids and treble a bit to try and make the attacks a bit more distinct, myself. It's also unfortunate that you've got so much bleed of the acoustic tone into the mic. Not a bad basis to work from though.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Tremoverbs use different transformers than other models of dual rectifiers. I also own one and they sound warmer than other two channel or three channel dual rectifiers. The gain is also quite a bit different.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Sounds great dude! Love the recto tone, they just have this very distinct throaty quality that I love.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Sounds cool. It can take a few years to really master the controls/options on a lot of Mesa amps.

I am feeling like if I can hear your pick/strings on this recording, you probably don't have the master opened up properly.

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
Yeah the master was at about 9 o'clock but part of the reason the acoustic bleeds through so much is because I was playing in a really small room and I had the mic sitting close to me so I could give you a better idea of how the tone sounded as opposed to the microphone being right in front of the cabinet. Maybe tomorrow I'll actually mic it up well and do another sound clip.

Gmork

Reaction score
Gonna resurrect this dry husk of a thread to ask opinions on the recto TREM O' VERB (1x12 combo SPECIFICALLY)?
Same deep lowend as one might expect of a recto?

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Gonna resurrect this dry husk of a thread to ask opinions on the recto TREM O' VERB (1x12 combo SPECIFICALLY)?
Same deep lowend as one might expect of a recto?
I believe they made some 1x12 Roadsters and they make a 1x12 Rectoverb; both are different from the Tremoverb (which came in head or 2x12).

The 1x12 Rectoverb is going to be like a Mini Rectifier.