Mesa Flubbing Cure?

• Thread starter Disorganism
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a Mesa Dual Recto with the V30 4x12 Recto Cab. I've got a set of JJ tubes suited for drop tunings in the head, using an Ibanez S guitar tuned to B Standard with SD Blackouts. I'm also using a Maxon OD808.

At lower volumes, it sounds great. As soon as I turn it up to jamming levels, if I palm mute at all, there is a terrible flubbing/farting from the cab. I don't have the bass turned up all that much, less than 50%. I'm using the 3rd channel, modern setting, with gain about 50% when it's at it's worst.

Is this typical of Dual Recto's? Is there a fix for the cab? ie. installing braces, etc? I haven't had the amp that long.

It's a really terrible noise, like I'm damaging the speakers. As I said, it doesn't happen at modest volumes.

Thanks very much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Wow, the dual rec I played on had its bass on 3ish, and it had way too much "thump" (someone else's settings).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Less Bass.

I run my bass incredibly low, because I have a mahogany bodied 24.75 scale guitar. My bass is at 2 out of 10.

Also, do you boost? What Is your EQ?

daveycrockett

Reaction score
this happened to me recently go for you your preamp tube/s for you distortion channel a tech should be able to tell you what position they are in or you could find it online. when this happened to me it was just one preamp tube no biggie immediate fix:yesway:

troyguitar

Reaction score
Have you tried the vintage mode? I didn't like the modern mode whenever I have played through those things.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
If you can try a different cab to make sure thats the problem.

I have the same setup and I get I nice tight bass.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
when I played bass and had this problem, it was because I was driving the input too hard. Try running the same settings without the OD, if the problem goes away try lowering the level of your OD

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Oh wow, just saw that you have blackouts and were boosting. When I play at home through the cobra, I have my ts9 output set around 9 (or about 3:30pm), this is where I only have 3 feet of cable between it and the amp input. When I run my 12 foot cable and noise supressor during practice, I may put it up at 10. Also, make sure you aren't setting your tone knob below 5/noon. Actives+mahagony (s series are mahagony, correct?) means you want to remove bass. I have seen people run their tone knob around 4/11am when running ash or bass wood, but you want bass reduction with your setup.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like blown speakers or an issue with your cab to me. Have you tried a different cab?

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
lose the V30s.

i think the one thing i dislike the most about those speakers besides the ice pick in the ear midrange response is the big flubby low end they put out.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
lose the V30s.

i think the one thing i dislike the most about those speakers besides the ice pick in the ear midrange response is the big flubby low end they put out.

:agreed:

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

I haven't played the head through a different cab, I don't have access to one. I suppose I could take it in to a shop and try one there. Honestly, I don't think the speakers are blown because the flubbing stops at lower volumes, the cab is pretty new and never worked very hard.

The tubes are about 2 months old, from Eurotubes, maybe an hour of use. He set me up with his standard 'low tunings' package, and all the tubes are tested and new/old stock. I've checked and the tubes are well seated after spraying the sockets with electrical contact cleaner.

The head is set to the 'bold' setting, using the transistor rectifier. I love the tube rectifier and spongy setting, but the bass gets even looser when I use them.

The Maxon OD808 is set with gain at zero, balance at 12 o' clock, tone at 12 o'clock...it's just to provide that 'compression' effect. It actually helps reduce the flubbing when it's on. It's not boosting the input, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Yes, mahogany body S with SD Blackouts, adjusted to be volume balanced and recessed almost 1/4" from the strings.

It just seems like such a shame to have to put the bass at 2, when the head has so much low end girth at lower volumes. At 2, the tone gets really thin and bright, I find. Such a difficult amp to EQ! And each channel's EQ responds differently...grrr. I like the Vintage setting a lot too, but I also enjoy that massive metal 'chug' tone. And don't get me wrong, I don't have the gain maxed out. Maybe I'm just expecting too much low end from a guitar amp.

I used to have an early issue JCM900 half stack and it would also flub with the V75's in the cab at high volumes, but not as bad as this one. However, the Dual Recto has a lot more 'push' to it than the 900 had. A buddy of mine installed a 4"x4" wooden post that secured the face to the back of the cab, preventing the back from vibrating as much, and he said it helped a lot. Has anyone done anything like this?

This is the first cab I've had with V30's, and they've been used by so many heavy-tone players, I figured they must be good. I hate to think of what I paid for the cab to have to swap out the speakers just to be able to add bass back to my tone.

I guess I was just wondering if this was common to this set up, and if there was a work around.

Thanks!

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
2 things, 1.less bass!!! i litterally run mine at like 8o'clock, and 2. as you increase volume, decrease gain. when i crank my recto, not only do i back off the gain, but i usually turn off my OD pedal because its simply not needed to tighten up the sound

(I played an Ibby S with blackouts through my recto aswell, didnt have the same cab, but that was my experience)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You want more bass?

Try this EQ:
Ch3
Bold
SS rectifier
Modern
Presence: 1
Bass: 3
Mids: 6.5
treble: 3.5
gain: 5.5
channel volume: 4
master volume: 5

OD:
Drive: 2
Tone: 5
Balance: 6

Try that out. When EQ'ing, ignore where the knobs physically are - listen to how the sound changes.

skarhead

Reaction score
At lower volumes, it sounds great. As soon as I turn it up to jamming levels, if I palm mute at all, there is a terrible flubbing/farting from the cab. I don't have the bass turned up all that much, less than 50%. I'm using the 3rd channel, modern setting, with gain about 50% when it's at it's worst.

Had the same cab, you can work around it by lowering your bass to almost minimum but there is only one solution to this - get rid of the cab. Rectocabs sound good with amps that don't have much thump by themselves, with bass-heavy amps they get muddy fast.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had the same cab, you can work around it by lowering your bass to almost minimum but there is only one solution to this - get rid of the cab. Rectocabs sound good with amps that don't have much thump by themselves, with bass-heavy amps they get muddy fast.

Yeah, the oversize with V30s is mud heaven. It's better with the 90s, but the Stiletto cab generally just sounds better.

Reaction score
No... Stiletto/traditional cabs sound tighter in the room, but not under a mic. The traditional cabs are boxy sounding mic'd up. Recto cabs can sound extremely tight if you know what you're doing. Listen to Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor or the new Fear Factory album. Different amps, but same cab, and EXTREMELY tight... and that's with low 7 and 8 string tunings.

You have your Maxon set correctly.... yes, it is still boosting the amp with the level and tone at 12:00. You just seem to be misunderstanding what it's called or just not understanding why you're doing it, but you're not do anything wrong. Oh, and a lot of people put the tone knob at about 10:00 or 11:00. It doesn't add bass. It just smooths things out a little.

To me, it sounds like something to do with the internal bracing of your cab. Something might have rattled loose. I'd take the back off the cab and check, and make sure everything is tight when you put it back on. If it's not that, then it's just the fact that you're running too much bass on the amp...

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think the speakers are blown because the flubbing stops at lower volumes, the cab is pretty new and never worked very hard.

... and that's exactly why I thought it sounded like it could be blown speakers, because that's what they do. They can sound okay at low volumes, then start to sound like a mess when you start to push them.

')