Mesa Mark V or keep my Peavey?

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
Hey guys I've been dying for a new tone lately. I am currently using a boosted Peavey 6505+ which sounds awesome for rhythm but the leads sound like a buzz-saw and the cleans suck. The thing I'm worried about though is the fact that everyone on here seems to go back to their 6505 or 5150 later on after they sell it. I think it's because the Peavey is so raw sounding as opposed to something like an Engl which would be described as more tame relative to the Peavey. But by the sound clips the Mesa Mark V seems to have this rawness to it but I know it has great cleans and leads because of Petrucci's tone. What do you guys think? If there are any amps you guys know of that you think would be a good alternative please let me know!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Marks have a wonderful rawness to them. You can tame it and smooth it out, or you can unleash it and cut like the cuttiest of ............s.

I got a IV after selling my 6505+ 112 because I too needed a functional clean channel :lol:

Of course, now I have an Ultra and mostly use a Dual Rec model, but.

Try to check out a Mark IV if you can, they've still got the wonderful cleans and awesome Lead channel without the extra stuff and pricetag of a Mark V, if you just need clean/gain.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Asher is right about the mk IV, less features and better price. You may or may not need all the features of the mk V. For my tastes its mesa marks over 5150's any day, but thats my opinion.

DC23

Reaction score
I have owned both a IV and the V. I absolutely love the Mark V, but would I pay nearly twice as much more for one than what I paid for my Mark IV....not a chance. The IV is a solid, versatile amp.

Phantom

Reaction score
I too love my Mark V, I don't foresee myself getting rid of it. However, I have also owned the 5150 and it was great. Would I own one again? Sure, if I had the extra cash. Would I go back to it over my MK V? Nope.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
As much as I do like the 5150II/6505+ sound, I am definitely a Mesa guy. I generally use the Mark III/Mark IV lead sounds on my Triaxis. Occasionally, I will break out a Recto sound (since I have the 2.0 fat Triaxis with the Rectifier circuit). For less gain, the Lead 2 Green (Mark IV) and either rhythm/clean sound great.

I think that the only thing I would give up my Triaxis for would be a Mark V. When I was buying my RGD2127z, I stayed in the store playing for two hours after paying for the guitar just because the Mark V sounded THAT good--it sounded SO good that my girlfriend didn't mind hanging around a guitar store for over three hours!

protest

Reaction score
If you only need/want 2 channels get the Mark IV. If you want a middle channel for mid gain, or for a thick solo sound spend the extra cash to get the V. The V is definitely an amp you can keep for 20+ years as it has so many tones in it. The IV is definitely awesome as well, but R2 really hampers it. I used it as a dirty clean channel or for a warm clean in order to take pedals. R1 can be a bit of a pain for pedals if you like the bright pull activated.

I think if you're looking for a lot of different tones, and the ability to have 3 very useful channels than the V is the way to go over the IV, but if you really only want clean/high gain the IV is a good way to save money. It gives you so much control over the Lead channel it's crazy, Pull Fat, Pull Bright, Presence Shift, Mid Gain Shift, Lead Gain, Lead Drive..

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I owned a Mark V, currently own a 5150III, and have a lot of experience with a 5150 block letter.

The Mark had the best cleans by a country mile, no question about it. I was able to get some pretty raw, heavy sounds out of the Mark IV and Extreme modes of the MkV that worked well opposite my friend's block letter, but it could also be pulled back and tamed a bit to really smooth, singing leads.

However, it's a whole different type of raw than the Peavey or EVH. I'd say the 5150 variants are more of a saturated, buzz saw sound while the Mesa is more throaty and aggressive. Also, the power section is a huge part of the Mesa sound IME and is more "felt" not heard. I personally don't get along with Mesa's Simul-Class as much as a regular class A/B, but that's just taste. It's hard to describe, so really your best bet is to try out a Mark IV or V yourself. Take a boost pedal and gate if you can.

I think most of the people who end up going back to the 5150 sound generally aren't too concerned with pristine cleans or smooth leads, but more concerned with how deliciously brutal the rhythm sound is. I went from the Mark to the 5150III because of this. I would totally get another Mark V or try a IV if I had the spare cash or a real reason to do so, though.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
I owned a Mark V, currently own a 5150III, and have a lot of experience with a 5150 block letter.

The Mark had the best cleans by a country mile, no question about it. I was able to get some pretty raw, heavy sounds out of the Mark IV and Extreme modes of the MkV that worked well opposite my friend's block letter, but it could also be pulled back and tamed a bit to really smooth, singing leads.

However, it's a whole different type of raw than the Peavey or EVH. I'd say the 5150 variants are more of a saturated, buzz saw sound while the Mesa is more throaty and aggressive. Also, the power section is a huge part of the Mesa sound IME and is more "felt" not heard. I personally don't get along with Mesa's Simul-Class as much as a regular class A/B, but that's just taste. It's hard to describe, so really your best bet is to try out a Mark IV or V yourself. Take a boost pedal and gate if you can.

I think most of the people who end up going back to the 5150 sound generally aren't too concerned with pristine cleans or smooth leads, but more concerned with how deliciously brutal the rhythm sound is. I went from the Mark to the 5150III because of this. I would totally get another Mark V or try a IV if I had the spare cash or a real reason to do so, though.

All of my exact reasons of why I sold my Mark V and currently use a 5153 50w. I'd totally own both if I could, Mark V or IV. I DEARLY miss the clean channel of the Mark V.

The ultimate amp for me would have Mark V cleans and lead tones, and a 5153 rhythm channel.

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
Do the EVH 5150s have nice leads? I remember playing a 50 watt one but didn't really pay attention to leads back when I played it. I do remember it having an awesome red channel though.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I like the blue channel with an OD for leads, really marshall-y kinda tone

Same, though you normally need to run more gain and mids on the blue channel to get a sweet lead sound, and then the clean channel isn't very clean sounding.

I have no major complaints about the Red channel for leads though. It benefits from a smoother OD pedal and/or EQ in the loop for sure, but it's less of a buzz saw than the Peavey on its own. Come to think of it, the red channel without a boost would be good for lead playing, then kick the OD back on for the extra aggression for rhythm stuff.