Mesa Rectifier AND 6505+ troubles.

InnerDignity

Reaction score
Hello! I came with problems with two pieces of gear.

1) My Mesa Rectifier 4x12 isn't pushing like it should. Meaning one of my speakers isn't pushing as much as the others and I'm not sure what to do about it. I could buy a new speaker and have a little DIY session, but knowing me I'll mess it up even more. A buddy of mine mentioned that it could be wiring, and he also mentioned that when one speaker messes up it could have an effect on the others. So I really don't know what to do to fix it, and I don't know who to take it to if that's possible :/// Please leave me your thoughts on what I should do, because I REALLY don't want to have to spend money on another cab.

2) Okay, I bought a brand new Peavey 6505+ in early January. And as always when you buy something brand new (as long as it dosen't have faulty parts) it sound AWESOME! But for awhile now it's been making some weird sounds. It usually happens when I'm playing on the clean channel. The best way I can describe it is TV static, but not a constant sound. It gets louder and softer very sporadically, and sometimes pops randomly. I hit the head with the bottom of my fist (not very hard) and it popped and stop for a little bit. This sound also continues when I switch the channel over to Lead. At first I thought it was my BBE sonic maximizer because I bought it used and just assumed that I bought a crappy rack system, but I unplugged the cable that goes into my head and the sound still continued, so I know it's nothing else. I thought maybe it could be tubes but I didnt think it was that long, but at the same time I don't know how long stock tubes last. I only play with the head occasionally in my room really low. I've never really pushed it past 3. So I humbly ask if you could please help me and tell me what's wrong and what i should do.

If you only have a solution for one of these problems then that's okay. I just really want my equipment to stop having problems :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
1. Replacing speakers isn't difficult. You could definitely purpose a replacement V30 and get it installed. There are typically 2 or 3 wires that you connect to the speaker. Easiest thing to do....take a picture of the existing wiring....replace the speaker....make the sure wiring matches the picture when you're done.

2. That 100% sounds like a bad preamp tube. I generally don't recommend someone with little to no electronic experience opening the back of an amp. There are capacitors in there that can kill you if you're not careful. Your head should still be covered under the warranty, so take it to your retailer to get it taken care of.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
1. Replacing speakers isn't difficult. You could definitely purpose a replacement V30 and get it installed. There are typically 2 or 3 wires that you connect to the speaker. Easiest thing to do....take a picture of the existing wiring....replace the speaker....make the sure wiring matches the picture when you're done.

2. That 100% sounds like a bad preamp tube. I generally don't recommend someone with little to no electronic experience opening the back of an amp. There are capacitors in there that can kill you if you're not careful. Your head should still be covered under the warranty, so take it to your retailer to get it taken care of.

I mean... unless I just didn't look hard enough inside my 6505+ 112, the pre amp tubes should be fairly easy to change oneself, no? Identifying WHICH tube it is might be a pain, but the procedure itself is fairly easy. I totally wouldn't recommend doing anything other than monkeying with tubes in there, though.

viesczy

Reaction score
Agree w Larkin about the pre-amp tube going. Easy change too, wiggle in and wiggle out. Do it when it is turned off and unused for a bit as they get hot! If you knew that, I didn't say it to be a douche.

About the speaker, once you ID the bad one, get the same thing and wire the same way. Done and done.

Derek

Latest posts