Mesa Recto with over-sized 4x12: experiences?

• Thread starter cardinal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Get a back brace and eat your vegtables. You're gonna need it.

Curious how heavy it actually will be. The Engl XXL I'm using with it now lists around 125 lbs. I could deadlift that into and out of a van without too much trouble. The OS Recto lists around 105 lbs.

Wonder what diamond plate weighs. Probably a lot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I always wanted one cause when I did gigs and saw somebody roll up with one I knew they meant business. Played around a lotta poverty rigs lol. Not shaming. But when I finally got one my Peavey Ultra started destroying. Thinking about throwing a couple Legends in mine and using the v30's in the 2x12 that has the Legends.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Curious how heavy it actually will be. The Engl XXL I'm using with it now lists around 125 lbs. I could deadlift that into and out of a van without too much trouble. The OS Recto lists around 105 lbs.

Wonder what diamond plate weighs. Probably a lot?
I'm guessing about what your Engl weighs. Plate is heavy but there's not that much of it. Google says ist weight 3-4 lbs per square foot, so you're adding about 15-20 lbs in plate.

cardinal

Reaction score
I'm guessing about what your Engl weighs. Plate is heavy but there's not that much of it. Google says ist weight 3-4 lbs per square foot, so you're adding about 15-20 lbs in plate.

And at least I can't really hurt the cab while fumbling with it. Literally armored. Bad news for the van though.

Hope it sounds good...

cardinal

Reaction score
I always wanted one cause when I did gigs and saw somebody roll up with one I knew they meant business. Played around a lotta poverty rigs lol. Not shaming. But when I finally got one my Peavey Ultra started destroying. Thinking about throwing a couple Legends in mine and using the v30's in the 2x12 that has the Legends.

Yeah, long long time ago I ripped out a magazine ad of a Recto stack with the diamond plate head and side-armored cabs, and hung the ad on my wall. I wanted that rig so bad. Just was broke as a kid, playing some sort of solid-state Peavey and a distortion pedal. Sounded horrible I'm sure, but gotta get the metal out somehow.

EDIT: pretty sure this was the ad
iPgWBlB.jpg

Last edited:

Descent

Reaction score
I'll freely admit I'm a terrible player, but independent of that, the Recto is just kinda slow to start and stop IME.

I'll agree that they are sensitive to pickups. EMGs do seem to tighten things up. It'd be cool if there are Dimarzios that'll do it to. Thanks for the heads up.
Hello, the X2N is a Dimarzio pickup :)

cardinal

Reaction score
Hello, the X2N is a Dimarzio pickup :)

Oh, I play 8-strings. That's why it's a bit of struggle/balance with most amps to get tight/fast tracking because I need down to low F#. The Recto sounds beautiful down to C# or B or so.

I think I'm coming to grips with the idea that an unboosted Recto is not particularly well suited for low F# thrashy or machine-gun-start-stop riffing. But it does sound great, even on the low F#, outside of that context. Moody Sabbath-type riffs or just more "traditional" hard rock riffing sounds boss. If I'm wanting to do that type of fast start/stop riffing on the low string, I'll either need to use a different amp or the OD808, I think. Which is fine. That sounds good too.

Shask

Reaction score
Oh, I play 8-strings. That's why it's a bit of struggle/balance with most amps to get tight/fast tracking because I need down to low F#. The Recto sounds beautiful down to C# or B or so.

I think I'm coming to grips with the idea that an unboosted Recto is not particularly well suited for low F# thrashy or machine-gun-start-stop riffing. But it does sound great, even on the low F#, outside of that context. Moody Sabbath-type riffs or just more "traditional" hard rock riffing sounds boss. If I'm wanting to do that type of fast start/stop riffing on the low string, I'll either need to use a different amp or the OD808, I think. Which is fine. That sounds good too.
Could always use an EQ pedal as a "boost". Not really boosting in the traditional sense, but more as an EQ filter to help tighten the sound, but without the git or compression an OD pedal would bring.

jwiltz2072

Reaction score
Could always use an EQ pedal as a "boost". Not really boosting in the traditional sense, but more as an EQ filter to help tighten the sound, but without the git or compression an OD pedal would bring.
This works really well. I use a Boss GE7 on my Single Recto and also used it on the MW Dual I had. And the clean stays clean so no tap dancing. Just leave it on.

cardinal

Reaction score
And it somehow feels lighter than an Engl XXL, so the diamond plate really must not add much weight. It was much easier to get down the stairs.

Krauthammer

Reaction score
Dude I've never seen an Oversized mesa 4x12 with the diamond plate sides. That's awesome. Stunning!

FWIW I've had my 3 channel trirec and mesa OS cab since 2003. I've played 7 then 8 strings since 2007 through the rig, and have always walked away satisfied. I feel that cab is super tight, but you do have to run it kinda loud to really get the kick out of it. Phenominal cab, but heavy. It sounds as heavy as it weighs!

JesperX

Reaction score
If you like the unboosted sound/feel but still find it flubby, throw an EQ before the amp and pull some lows out. It’s the pre gain low end that gives you flub. Don’t need a load of distorted lows. You’d be surprised how much you can add back on the amp if you haven’t tried it.

')