Mesa Rectoverb 50 - low volumes

• Thread starter gizmi7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gizmi7

KSI Army
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting this amp - what is your experience in using this amp on a "bedroom volume level"? Is it gonna be ok on a modern high gain setting with a drop A tuned sevenstring guitar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
Especially at low volumes, I would anticipate having to hit the front end with some sort of overdrive pedal to get an acceptable tone with a 7 string.

Endnote

Reaction score
I owned the 1x12 combo version of this amp for 4 years, and I could not coax a sound for that style of metal from it at low volumes. Even at higher volumes the low end was flubby and palm mutes just didn't cut it, even a tubescreamer and eq didn't help. That was my experience, IMO there are other, better amps that can get you much closer to the sound you're describing.

gizmi7

KSI Army
Reaction score
I love the Rectifier "in-your-face" sound - what other amps would you recommend which would handle low volumes?

Endnote

Reaction score
Honestly, my experience with tube amps is that bedroom level volumes just don't compare to the tone you get from blasting it. And if you're in a situation where you're only allowed to utilize bedroom volumes, I'd recommend saving your money. That's just my opinion. What are you currently using right now? I've heard some of the Randall RD5 and RD1 in person and those sounded really tight and aggressive, same for the Blackstar HT5 Metal. But from the short time I tried them they didn't have what Mesa puts out, though I think those might better suit your needs.

Promit

Reaction score
IMO people get overly obsessed with replicating the high volume tone at all levels. No, it doesn't sound incredible when turned way down, but it is not by any stretch a bad sound. For 7 string stuff you'll want to boost it regardless of volume level. So if you're thinking, hey I can only turn this amp up occasionally but I want to be able to get a fun tone for bedroom practice too, then it's great for that.

If you're never ever going to turn it up though, then you can probably look to other amps. But none of them really sound like a Recto. The closest I've gotten is a Jet City 22 with the depth mod... sold the Recto 50 and kept the JC, myself.

gizmi7

KSI Army
Reaction score
I've had a Blackstar HT-5 which i boosted with a Keeley TS9 and I don't think that is what I am looking for right now. I'm on a hype of Korn'alike low end thump. I'm gonna check the Jet City, I think that they have them in my local store. I've tried their JCA50 before - great sounding and incredibly low priced amp but this beast needs to be cranked very loud to sound good.

Shask

Reaction score
I think it really depends on your definition of "bedroom volume".

I have a Triple Recto. If you are talking about volumes that are fairly low, but you can probably hear it out in your front yard and it is shaking the wall, yes, it will sound good at that volume. Great Korn type sounds.

Now, if you definition of bedroom volume is baby sleeping next door, I need to hear a normal conversation over this amp, then I would say no. A modeler does better in this situation.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
I've had a Blackstar HT-5 which i boosted with a Keeley TS9 and I don't think that is what I am looking for right now. I'm on a hype of Korn'alike low end thump. I'm gonna check the Jet City, I think that they have them in my local store. I've tried their JCA50 before - great sounding and incredibly low priced amp but this beast needs to be cranked very loud to sound good.

i hate to be that guy that recommends his own amp to everyone but your post put me in mind of a video that sold me on my vetta 2 they have all the low end you could ever need and as the power section is tranny it is great at low volume although you have to eq differently as you push the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNAAj0vyjGE

they are pretty cheap these days

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
My Rectoverb was pretty fizzy at low volumes. The anger grows exponentially once you start getting into "beyond bedroom" volumes and the anger is so good. I liked boosting the slightly quieter Vintage High Gain on it. I felt like Vintage had the most gravel while Modern had more razor edge. The Modern mode is by far the loudest channel on the amp.

I like the idea of attenuation via FX loop. Maybe use a 1x12 with it for bedroom too. That would help hold things back.

I suspect a lot of mojo comes from the power section though.

jbailes

Reaction score
I'm pretty pleased with my 'verb 50 at low levels. Remember, it's a mesa, so it's a tweakable amp. I use mine as part of a stereo rig in conjunction with a mesa dc-5 and a g-major. As a stand alone amp, the gain on the 'verb might be a little buzzy. As you turn it up, it goes from buzzy to grainy, which is a better sound. The 'verb 50 doesn't have the inherent mid presence that the dc has, along with more gain/crunch. I keep my 7 tuned to standard and it's not a tight low end, so I'd suggest a boost or overdrive to tighten the sound.

Promit

Reaction score
I like the idea of attenuation via FX loop. Maybe use a 1x12 with it for bedroom too. That would help hold things back.
Attenuation via FX loop is already built into the amp. It's the knob labeled Output.

On the subject of Korn, though, don't forget how much of that low end comes from their massive mid scooped bass guitar thump. You can't make that sound with just a guitar. The intro to Coming Undone is a good reference for the pure guitar tone. The low end is less than you might think. Boosting a recto with a TS takes a lot of the low end out, as well.

')