Mesa Roadster opinions?

• Thread starter anthonylbest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
I have been offered a trade for my beloved Dr Z. RxES (with 2x12 cab) for a Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo.

Anyone have a roadster?

I love love love love my clean tone in the RxES, but I am just not getting the tightness in the low end on my heavier stuff from a stompbox. I have been told this is due to the fact that its a Class A am and has a very hot triod. It would also be nice to have some reverb again.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. I love my Z and don't want to trade it away if the mesa isn't going to have a good clean. And if I am basing my decision on false information.

I play lots of clean guitar, with some blues. However I also play some drop tuned metal on a not infrequent basis. Including a 7 String baritone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
First off, you're in San Fran - head to your local Mesa Boogie dealer and play one :yesway:

Secondly, the cleans on this amp are great - IF you have a guitar that sounds nice clean. I personally really like the Tweed mode, though I have no gripes about the clean or fat either. With the power options, 3 modes per channel, bold/spongy, EL34/6L6, you can do pretty much anything with this amp. I got it when I played metal, I now play lead guitar in a rock band. I don't even need to change settings to play metal - I just go to my rhythm distortion channel and boost it :yesway:.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
I've got a strat with Fender 57's in it as well as my PRS hollowbody. Both are great guitars for cleans. Thanks for your input. The guy who wants to trade lives 2 hours away. But you are right, I should just try to find one locally to check it out.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
2 hours isn't that far - it's what I used to have to drive to see anything that wasn't Epiphone or SS Marshall amps :lol: (and shows!)

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Roadsters are freakin' amazing amps. Do a search here, I started a thread about them a bit ago and several people chimed in about what they liked about them. IMO, they are the best of the Rectifier series. I only sold mine to pay bills (boo).

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Roadsters are amazing, lower gain sounds on Modern mode channels 3 and 4 is very dry and tight and goes up to singing saturation, the EQ is very versatile and adaptable. Cleans are awesome and the 50W mode is a godsend.

Amazing amps.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Having played a few Dr Z amps, I think you'll definitely get a tighter low-end from a Roadster. It also has much better cleans than the standard Dual Rectifier series. Some people say that it can be rather dark, but Ive found this all depends entirely on what youre plugging in to it. My basswood Ibanez 7s with Blaze Customs were perhaps a little unclear in the low end, but my maple Vigier with Tone Zone gives excellent results all round. I've since found that the Blaze Customs aren't a great match for basswood, so with the right pickup/wood combination I think you'll be very happy with a Roadster!

viesczy

Reaction score
I have lusted after the Roadster and Road Kings! If they weren't $2k+, I'd have one w/o a second thought.

That said, and I don't mean to disrespect your current set up, I'd do that deal... but see above to see why. Thank got the Bugera copies of the Triple Rec are close to being released, I don't need to justify $800 to myself!

Derek

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have lusted after the Roadster and Road Kings! If they weren't $2k+, I'd have one w/o a second thought.

That said, and I don't mean to disrespect your current set up, I'd do that deal... but see above to see why. Thank got the Bugera copies of the Triple Rec are close to being released, I don't need to justify $800 to myself!

Derek

$2K+ new... which is not how I bought mine ;)

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
There's a roadster owners club here, look it up. There arent many amps that have owners clubs on this site.

viesczy

Reaction score
$2K+ new... which is not how I bought mine ;)

Rub it in why don't you! Wanna kick my dog too?! ;) :lol:

I'll bite... how dija? Don't tell me anything horrific like you tossed the salads of 4 biker gangs or anything as I don't need to know that! :eek:

3 gangs would've been okay! :lol:

Derek

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^I assume he means he bought it it used, rather than by using favours instead of cash.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
If it's voiced like the roadking II, and the clean channels are the same (which I believe they all are) then do it. Cleans on the RK are awesome, versatility is awesome, 4 channels that all just keep giving you different tones if you ever get bored.

But the cleans, lush, really lush :)

lus, compared to other rectifiers the rectifier preamp stages are darker, less fizz, more roar, crunch, the lot. Seriously good stuff.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Rub it in why don't you! Wanna kick my dog too?! ;) :lol:

I'll bite... how dija? Don't tell me anything horrific like you tossed the salads of 4 biker gangs or anything as I don't need to know that! :eek:

3 gangs would've been okay! :lol:

Derek

I put a WTB ad up, and someone responded with a mint condition 1-year-old Roadster with all the paperwork (including receipt) for what I wanted to pay, so I bought it. My best friend was in his city at the time and coming to see me, so he brought it over. It was a pretty good 21st birthday present to myself :yesway:.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I love mine. Great distorted and clean tones. 4 Channels and a good FX Loop.

')