Mesa Triple Rec problems

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
So I recently bought a used 2 channel Triple Rec head on ebay and it arrived today, and when I plugged it into my transformer there's no signs of life at all ... I've obviously contacted the guy who sold me it, but I wanted to stick a thread on here too.

How am I able to tell what exactly is wrong with it? When there's nothing lighting up at all, does that mean tubes are blown?

The only other scenario I can think of is damage in transit, but again ... I've no clue what to be looking for, everything about the amp "looks" fine, but obviously, it doesn't work at all right now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In nothing at all is lighting up, it's typically a fuse issue. Check the fuse to see if it's blown, it should be around back by the power cable usually.

Though a blown fuse is an easy fix, it can mean that there's a more serious issue within the amp that caused the fuse to blow.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
In nothing at all is lighting up, it's typically a fuse issue. Check the fuse to see if it's blown, it should be around back by the power cable usually.

Though a blown fuse is an easy fix, it can mean that there's a more serious issue within the amp that caused the fuse to blow.

I see ... I was afraid of there being more problems.

I see the fuse right there, should I just yank it out or what? If it is the fuse, where do I get a replacement?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see ... I was afraid of there being more problems.

I see the fuse right there, should I just yank it out or what? If it is the fuse, where do I get a replacement?

Yeah, just remove the fuse with the amp unplugged. Any electronics store should have a replacement, even most hardware stores carry them.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I'm more than likely just being an idiot here ... but when I pull out the little black cover over the fuse, it's literally impossible to get at. I'm obviously doing something wrong here ...

viesczy

Reaction score
When you say no signs of life? You mean no sound or nothing is lighting up in the tubes/lights on the amp?

On Egnater's FB page the listed a "hint" about fuses:

"Did you know: If a fuse is blowing on an amp, the easiest way to see if it’s just a bad power tube, is to replace the blown fuse and remove the tubes. If you can put the amp into play without blowing the fuse, then you’ve just got a bad tube and nothing to get worried about."

That said, try swapping out the fuses and see what happens. Some fuses are tough to tell they're blown. My VH100 had a bad tube from the factory, so I put a new quartet in and no life. I was SURE something important was dead as when I looked @ the slow blow tube, it looked fine but I still got another just in case. Put that new fuse in and life was restored. Superman'd've been taxed to see that fuse was blown, but I'd bet on power tube or fuse for your problem.

Derek