Mesa triple rec vs orange rockerverb 100

• Thread starter jd267
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jd267

Reaction score
Hey guys looking to maybe buy a new amp. I play metal and some older stuff. I just sold my mark 4 and have a triple rec on the way from GC. If i dont like it i can return it in 30 days. How would you com pair the mesa to the orange mk1 with 6v6 tubes. I will be boosting both with a maxon 0d808 threw a mesa 4x12 v30 cab. anyone ever play both? always had mesa heads,engl,peavey ect and want to try something new

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jd267

Reaction score
From what i here the triple has more headroom and keeps tight at high volume

SmashinWithTone

Reaction score
Did you buy the mesa blind without playing it? I dunno about the orange, but I own a dual rectifier, and It can be loose without a boost or if its not properly eq'ed, but boosted and eq'ed right, it tightens it up and the tone is great.

jd267

Reaction score
Did you buy the mesa blind without playing it? I dunno about the orange, but I own a dual rectifier, and It can be loose without a boost or if its not properly eq'ed, but boosted and eq'ed right, it tightens it up and the tone is great.

Yes but i have owned two duel rectifiers in the past. I like them at first but i was always messing with the eq when i would change volume .. Just going to try the triple with the maxon and see how it goes

SmashinWithTone

Reaction score
The triple with the maxon is going to be damn near exactly the same as the dual, except you'll be getting more clean headroom at loud volumes. If you had to keep messing with the eq with your old dual, be ready to do the same thing with your triple that's coming

jd267

Reaction score
The triple with the maxon is going to be damn near exactly the same as the dual, except you'll be getting more clean headroom at loud volumes. If you had to keep messing with the eq with your old dual, be ready to do the same thing with your triple that's coming

I have the feeling that may be the case lol but will see maybe i was just being to picky. good thing i bought it from guitar center as i can return it. may go after a rivera kr100 or tre

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Orange heads sound amazing, however they're not really made for metal. They really have their own very distinct sound, that's good for a lot of things, IMO metal isn't one of them(excluding Mastodon and The Sword of course). The triple Rec is a fucking beast of an amp... while the orange is more like a classy gentlemen.

jd267

Reaction score

Well got the triple today and i must say it sounds a lot better than my duel as i have them side by side . I sold the duel to a friend and wish he did not get to here the two as i can see it in his face that the triple crushes it in tone. Just has a diffrent sound, more head room, tighter, bigger sounding and not as fizzy. I dialed a tone on the triple in about 15 minuets . the same eq on the duel was horrible . So just to clear it up the duel and triple really don't sound alike at all. well maybe a little :hbang: Its crazy how they respond to the maxon od808 also.. I always said the rec series love a boost. the triple is retarded loud :nuts: also.. same cab recto v30 over sized Test was done with same guitar,same od808, same cab...

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
If you find later that you still have issues with tightness maybe switch tubes to el34s or kt77s? That's what I did with my old dual and I really dug it. Would love to try a triple, congrats! Glad you like it!

jd267

Reaction score
If you find later that you still have issues with tightness maybe switch tubes to el34s or kt77s? That's what I did with my old dual and I really dug it. Would love to try a triple, congrats! Glad you like it!

yea man im going to grab a set of el34 mesa tubes this week. I have found with all my mesa heads they sound best with mesa tubes

viesczy

Reaction score
Mesa all the way. Yeah I'm a fanboy, but there isn't a tone on the planet you can't get out of a Mesa... Love my Road King II!

Derek

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I have a DR and a Rockerverb 50 and the Orange owns the Mesa all day long. At least part of it, I think, is the tubes. I love the 6v6s. I've used the Orange power section to drive the DR's pre, and that was a lot of fun. You get that very distinctive Mesa rectifier sound, with a lot more life. Side note, I also boost with a Sparkle Drive, although I think the DR sounds better with the Maxon.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The rectifier will definitely be more versatile than the Orange, plus the Vintage modes on channels 2 and 3 can pull of Mark-type tones pretty well.

Then again, I haven't really been a fan of any of the Orange heads I've tried aside from the Dark Terror, so my opinion is definitely already leaning towards the Mesa

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
Its pretty hard to tell you "which one.. TRec or Rockerverb100" without saying exactly what sound you are looking for. Rockerverbs can do metal, but dont live there. Although it has many options, metal is pretty much where the TRec lives.

imo of course..having owned both.. and the MarkIV (shouldve kept mine :()

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
the RV is thick vary thick put a boost tighter and still thick best for rythum players

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
What are you going to play?
I think that the Rectifiers are the best amps ever made. I play Grindcore/Death metal.
The thing is that rectifiers needs to be played LOUD, i guess thats why most bedroom players dislike them.
You have the perfect cab & boost by the way. If you want the perfect match, then go with a set of EMG's for the guitar. I swapped out my bkp's and dimarzios in favour of emg's after i got the amp =)

Im not a huge fan of Orange though, because:
1. I dont like el34's
2. The voicing is not for me
3. Other people can make them sound AWESOME, i cant =)

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I own a DR and the Rockerverb, the DR usually needs a boost, however, I don't use as much gain as I used to. The DR will take time to dial in correctly. They are both excellent amps, but they are on two different ends. That said, I usually end up playing my DR or my JVM over the rocker. What the above poster said about playing the rectifiers loud, that is really my only complaint when it comes to the rectifiers, it seem you really have to crank the volume to get the amp the scream.

jd267

Reaction score
I play metal and thats about it.. kill switch type tone, ect. I have other amps , framus corba, marshall kk,engl savage 120, engl fireball 100, had a duel rec and a mark 4. the triple meets what i was after and then some. so much head room its not funny!! it stays tight with the maxon as far as you can turn it up.. does something the other amps don't . the problem i had with my single rec and duel must have been the head room deal because they sounded good when at low vol but would make me nuts tweaking as the vol went up. the triple does nothing of the sort.. ITS A BEAST OF AN AMP

')