Mesas - Flubby Low End?

• Thread starter Aevolve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
As stated many times in previous threads, Rectifiers need to be loud to be tight sounding. Their master needs to be at the very minimum 9'oclock if not closer to 11'oclock+ to really sound its best. Aside from technique and EQ your best bet is to either use EMG actives or get an OD in front. If you do the latter then EMG's arent needed. Ive just noticed that lower output pickups sound less tight than high output pickups if you don't have an OD in front. Not always the case but with this amp it is the case. That's my experience with my 2 channel Triple Rec in getting the mushy spongy sound to tighten.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Try a mark IV if you like the mesa tone but want a tighter clearer bottom end.

Can't really afford a Mark IV.. I'm 17 with a shitty job. Just now getting enough for a used Recto after about 5 months of work. :wallbash:

And there's not really a store here that carries any high-end amps, nor do I know anyone with a Recto or Savage. So trying them out in person is kind-of an issue.

bhakan

Reaction score
I guess what I'm trying to really ask is- would it be enough of an issue where I'd be better off just getting a different amp for the price? I could probably pick up a used ENGL Savage for a couple hundred more. :shrug:
Based off of this I would say your question should not be can a recto get tight enough, but what sound do you really want. Recto's and Engl's are pretty opposite tonally. Spend some time listening to clips of any amp that you can afford and learn which character suits the sound in your head.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Based off of this I would say your question should not be can a recto get tight enough, but what sound do you really want. Recto's and Engl's are pretty opposite tonally. Spend some time listening to clips of any amp that you can afford and learn which character suits the sound in your head.

When I saw The Contortionist live, they were playing through Dual Recs, and I absolutely loved their sound. However, I also really dig the Substructures sort of tight sound.

myampslouder

Reaction score
Can't really afford a Mark IV.. I'm 17 with a shitty job. Just now getting enough for a used Recto after about 5 months of work. :wallbash:

If you shop around you could probably find a Mark IV for just slightly more then a dual recto. I got mine for $1300 i've seen them go as low as $1000.

Rectos seem to go for around $900 to $1200 so not to much of a jump.

Definitely do what you can to try them out first before you make a decision though. Great tone is 100% a matter of personal preference. People on forums can give opinions all day but in the end it's still just another guys preference. I wanted a Recto for a long time because people constantly raved about them I finally tried one and thought it was meh.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
If you shop around you could probably find a Mark IV for just slightly more then a dual recto. I got mine for $1300 i've seen them go as low as $1000.

Rectos seem to go for around $900 to $1200 so not to much of a jump.

Definitely do what you can to try them out first before you make a decision though. Great tone is 100% a matter of personal preference. People on forums can give opinions all day but in the end it's still just another guys preference. I wanted a Recto for a long time because people constantly raved about them I finally tried one and thought it was meh.

had much the same issue back in the day. remember a few people telling me how amazing the VHT pitbull UL sounded and how well it reacts to your pick attack. where i live i can really get to anywhere to try one out so i went on good faith, found one used at a good price, tried it and was sorely dissapointed, had all kinds of excellent tone shaping capabilities, but nothing i did would give me that thick juicy attack, the amp is and always will be a dry amp, if you want mesa or peavey saturation, you won't find it.

i've had many the same experience with mesa's, lots of bands with sick tones with mesa's, just peraonlly couldn't get on with one, i've had the best luck with the 6505 pretty much everytime i touched one.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
So basically- I have to find somewhere to try out amps. If anyone knows of any shops in the Atlanta area that carry Mesas and ENGLs etc.. Please let me know.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

And there's not really a store here that carries any high-end amps, nor do I know anyone with a Recto or Savage. So trying them out in person is kind-of an issue.

In contrast, you are 17, just work for a few more months and don't rush into a big purchase on what you think you want. It is a whole big world out there, try them all in the mean time. The reward of an amp now, but it not being what you need are nowhere near the amp in the future that is exactly what you KNOW you want. I had to play with a modeller and no guitar amp (ran it into my basses power amp) for about 3 years before I got my paws on the amp I wanted, and damn it was worth it. Having a half stack, or 100W head at home probably won't impress the parents regardless :lol:

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
In contrast, you are 17, just work for a few more months and don't rush into a big purchase on what you think you want. It is a whole big world out there, try them all in the mean time. The reward of an amp now, but it not being what you need are nowhere near the amp in the future that is exactly what you KNOW you want. I had to play with a modeller and no guitar amp (ran it into my basses power amp) for about 3 years before I got my paws on the amp I wanted, and damn it was worth it. Having a half stack, or 100W head at home probably won't impress the parents regardless :lol:

I've already got the cab- and I want to have a head by summer so I can play shows before I start class. It's killing me not playing live lol.

On a sidenote- I found tones I enjoy for sake of an example:

Our own Petey-

and Jakey-

I've noticed most of the tones I like are coming out of Axe-Fxs, which makes me sad. As those are expensive. Are there any amps you guys have in mind that can replicate these tones?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Axe Fx are cheaper than most top end amps :lol:. If you are chasing an axe-fx, nothing else will satisfy you more than temporarily. As far as playing live at 17, where would you play? You can't even hit bars. I run a Mark for my needs, and I get all my country through metal tones from it easily. Any modulation comes form my pedal board. To put that into perspective, axe FX is what 2k for the new one? Add a SS power amp, 2300-2400, you have a cab. Still coming in south of a head. If you get a used Axe Fx standard, probably what 1200+ amp nowadays? 1600?

If you absolutely need an amp to play live, score a used Vetta II or something, I used to play with a guy who did great things with one of them a few years ago. Then you don't find yourself dropping a whole lot of money on something less than ideal. Or run a new POD into a power amp, into your cab. Then you can just upgrade the pod to an axe when you get the cash. These will run in at about as costly as a recto head (at most, likely less), but be more flexible. You also won't need an effects collection to back it, which can get expensive. My pedal board rivals the cost of my amp....

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
EDIT: Didn't realize PODs were that cheap. lol.

So I guess I could end up going POD or AxeFx. But into what poweramp? I'd prefer tube, but any recommendations?

As far as places to play- in my area there are plenty of venues, none of which are restricted to people under 21 (The Masquerade, etc.) :yesway:

And woohoo for this thread going a completely different direction due to good suggestions.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
So I guess I could end up going POD or AxeFx. But into what poweramp? I'd prefer tube, but any recommendations?/QUOTE]

How can you blindly prefer tube? I would go as far as to say power amp state, when trailing a modeller is not going to make the largest differences permitting both are quality. You also mention some pretty weak budgets overall, so you may need to save either way to go that route (and your audience won't know the difference). There are plenty of decent power amps that won't break the bank as long as you keep an open mind. Or try to score a Carvin power amp or something.

Jan

Reaction score
@PeachesMcKenzie

Listened just to the two top videos you posted, none of those is instant Mesa tone to me. If you want a TUBE amp to do the job for you not AXE FX) and a sound like the first video, look Marshall DSL (cheap!!!). The second vid sounds way more ENGL-ish to me. Mesa's are rougher, more "open" and gritty sounding, less mids. Also darker.

My experience with making a Mesa tighter/clearer:
1. Get the right cab - my Roadster sounded good with an Orange 412 cab, but it slays with a Recto cab - more presence = more clarity
2. Get the right guitar - with my Schecters (C7 Blackjack and Helleraiser) it ALWAYs sounded to bassy and muddy, even after I changed the pickups to Blackouts. The same with my bandmates ESP LTD Viper or his Gibson Explorer. With my Mayoness Setius 7 it sounds awesome. But the Mayo is "drier", more mid-oriented and way less bassy than those other axes - has much shorter sustain too. I'm not saying it's bette than those other instruments, but it does match the amp!
3. Boosting - not a huge fan of that, but I do use a boost for our more faster, more modern metal tracks.

It's also true what others have said about volume, rolling down the bass (my bass knob is on 9:00 o'clock, sometimes lower) and palm muting. Unlike 6505 (which I used to own and still love) or ENGL (which I used to own but don't love anymore) Mesas are freakin unforgiving - I had to re-learn how to palm-mute when I got this amp... Good luck finding your tone!

blackrobedone

Reaction score
I compared a stock Mesa to one modded by Voodoo Amps - night and day difference. The bass is so tight on my Voodoo modded Triple Rec, even with the gain on 8.

With the gain on 5 with a stock Mesa, and passive pickups, you can get a good Monster Magnet, fart-bass doom tone. Nothing remotely tight about it. Just as "psychos do not explode in sunlight, I don't give a damn how crazy they are", stock Mesas do not sound tight, I don't give a damn what your picking technique is.

Use active pickups, an OD, and send it to Voodoo Amps for the tightest possible sound.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So basically- I have to find somewhere to try out amps. If anyone knows of any shops in the Atlanta area that carry Mesas and ENGLs etc.. Please let me know.

Guitar Center in Marietta has Mesas and had at least one used Engl when I was in there last - also a used Bogner Uberschall that wasn't out of your price range ($1200, I think, and it had cosmetic issues that would probably let you talk them down.)

Admittedly, this was in September, so who knows what they have now, but it was pretty well-stocked, much better than the one near me in VA.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
And if you wanna hear how awesme a Voodoo-modded Mesa can sound, listen to Rammstein's Reise, Reise and Rosenrot, and Emigrate's self-titled album. :D

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's also true what others have said about volume, rolling down the bass (my bass knob is on 9:00 o'clock, sometimes lower and palm muting. Unlike 6505 (which I used to own and still love) or ENGL (which I used to own but don't love anymore) Mesas are freakin unforgiving - I had to re-learn how to palm-mute when I got this amp... Good luck finding your tone!

All of this is true - there is a learning curve. When I first got my Triple it drove me nuts, since it's SO articulate that every bad pickstrike comes through perfectly. :lol:

Latest posts

')