Mesas - Flubby Low End?

• Thread starter Aevolve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
I've always love the sound of Rectifiers. However- I've recently heard that Mesas can get flubby and muddy with lower tunings, and as I've started playing in drop G# on my 7.. I want to be sure that it'll stay tight and focused before I make a purchase. Since there are tons of Mesa owners here- any insight?

As far as the sound I'm going for- think Substructure or The Contortionist (who I know use Dual Recs)

Thanks! :wavey:

Almost forgot- I'll be running it through an Orange PPC410 straight cab with V30s.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Every time I hear a Rectifier mentioned, I always see this mentioned with them:

p1132_ibanez_ts_9_main.jpg

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
The triples are definetly a bit tighter/clearer in the lows as well as sharper in the highs. Not a huge difference, but it is noticable.

edit; Also the series2 3-channel recs that are the most common are a little spongier than the original 2channel recs and the newer multi-watt versions, which are again tighter/clearer/sharper.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Read the manual. It'll tell you how the controls interact.

Generally, keep your bass low and your gain at reasonable levels and you'll be fine. A tubescreamer used as a boost (drive off, volume at unity gain, tone to taste) will tighten things up nicely.

Reaction score
the only amp I ve owned that needs a boost with out question ,I dont care what tuning your in..

Reaction score
An MXR 6-band EQ in the loop would allow you several options.

1. Lower the bass on the amp, and boost it on the EQ.
2. Lower the bass on the EQ.
3. Mix half and half.
4. Mix 25% and 75%, you get the idea.

You could also try lowering your pickup height by about 1/8" or even 1/4" if it is really high output. Use less gain, use solidstate rectifier mode always, buy some replacement solidstate recifiers and test each of them.

This is what a Dual rectifier with a metalzone as a boost sounds like:

Sounds good to me.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
I find that even 5150's get loose without boosting, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Besides, they only "need" boosting for modern metal anyway. Other genres tend to be more forgiving with regards to "tightness".

Reaction score
Mesa's offer more bass than is useable on most of their amps. Make sure your bass is set quite low and stick some kind of boost in front (I recommend an AC Booster).

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
I guess what I'm trying to really ask is- would it be enough of an issue where I'd be better off just getting a different amp for the price? I could probably pick up a used ENGL Savage for a couple hundred more. :shrug:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Does the Savage have the tone you want?

amarshism

Reaction score
I like the savage, I don't think it's as thick as the recto but it has some cool ass character in the mids. I think ola has a YouTube video comparing the two.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i wouldn't go to Ola's videos for a good representation of those amps tones, as Ola's stuff sounds like Ola and that's about it. if you can try out a savage, then try out a recto

chances are you won't be needing a boost with the savage, i find most engls don't really need them. but a boost will def clear the bottom end character of a recto up and get into real nasty chunky territory fast. try them both out, the recto witha boost and the savage and see which tonal character you like best.

i'm extremely picky with what i like, there's plenty of bands with awesome tones that come from rectos, namely cannibal corpse, but most of them have different cabs, with different speakers, using different boosts. even might have things like after market tubes, mods, modded OD pedals, it could go on and on.

with the orange cab your are using that alreayd right there will tighten things upa little as those cabs have a somehwat focused sound, as compared toa recto cab which is larger and project more bass, which to me is retarded cus the rectos are bass city on their own.

again try out either head and see whats best for you sound wise, and also take into consideration price. Savage is gunna cost more for us north american's

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
with out a boost and hours of tweaking rectifiers are just a wall of mush...

I do use a boost, but I can dial in a Recto to a good sound in about 10 minutes without one. It's not hard. The only trick is that the amp won't do the work for you - if you want tight bass, you have to a.) pick hard and b.) know how to palm mute.

The new Reborn Rectos are the best yet in this department, actually.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
edit; Also the series2 3-channel recs that are the most common are a little spongier than the original 2channel recs and the newer multi-watt versions, which are again tighter/clearer/sharper.

Sorry, but no. I've owned several two channel Rectos, and they have all been looser in the bottom end. They're outstanding lead amps for this reason, but the three channels came with a tightening up of the sound, to the point where the old guys complained that they were too stiff.

Mike hit right on the mark: Mesa makes a very unforgiving amp. You have to push the front end with a strong pick attack, and mistakes are made brutally obvious. Mesa is the amp company that starts to make a lot of sense when you clean up your technique, since the preamp is very reactive.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The triples are definetly a bit tighter/clearer in the lows as well as sharper in the highs. Not a huge difference, but it is noticable.

I always found the series 2 to be tighter - the originals are the ones that get flubby, IMO. The series 2 Triple is a LOT better than the series 2 Dual, though. The series 2 Dual is my least favorite amp in the entire Recto family.

')