Meshuggah & Axe fx

• Thread starter Gilbertsgotbrootz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbertsgotbrootz

Reaction score
I recently saw meshuggah and the tone blew my mind . Ever since then I have been tweaking and tweaking with my axe fx standard and can't get even remotely close . I know meshuggah is using axe fx only right now so I have to be able to get it somehow . Anybody have any tips ? I am guessing its a drive-amp-cab- filter or peq .... But which drive into with amp into which cab and or mic ? Any help will be greatly appreciated I am not looking for a patch I am just looking for tips to get that glassy/plastic sound :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hellraizer84

Reaction score
i could be wrong but im sure there using the axe fx 2 or at least an ultra and from what iv heard they are tonally different from the standard you have,not to say that thats the problem as id kill to just have the standard right now haha but the obvious advice i could give would be

tubescreamer-not much bass-super tight mids and shit loads of them especially in the high mid range-not to much treble and using the das amp or whatever its called on the axe fx oh and a good gate obvs ;)

hellraizer84

Reaction score
They use the ultra , Its the same exact thing has the standard but it has more cpu .....

hmm really?i heard a comparison on youtube with all 3 and they all sounded different with the same settings,from what i read they were built from the ground up differently with the 2 in my opinion sounding the best

if his is true then i might be able to afford a standard haha

bigchocolateman

Reaction score
the 2 is different than the ultra and the standard although from what I could tell when I saw them the other day was that they were using ultras. The bass was playing a huge, huge role in their tone I came to realize.

You are going to have to sit and tweak, and tweak, and tweak, and tweak some more to achieve that tone.

Low bass, low gain, and mids.

hellraizer84

Reaction score
Look at the comparisons online I am pretty sure

not sure about the ultra but the standard is DEFIANTLY tonally different to the 2 on the same settings,so much so in certain cases people prefer the standard and have used old firmware to get a "less real" sound but maybe the ultra is the same as the standard like your saying,that good news if so cos i wanted the ultra haha

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
This thread, just...

Well, anyways. Lots of midrange is good for getting that tone, upper midrange mostly as the lower mids can get very muddy. Go easy on the bass, but make sure it's in there and that it's TIGHT bass, not loose and muddy. A tube screamer in front will help tighten up the low end and add some mids. Once you get the tube screamer in there tweak the midrange to a higher midrange frequency and that'll help. Get a good amount of highs in there, but not too much that it makes it harsh.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think you're going to know the biggest tone differences between the Standard/Ultra and the Axe 2.

To my knowledge, the difference between the Standard and Ultra is the processing and memory. The Axe Ultra is supposed to have more features then the Standard. The tones are supposed to be the same, but you have more room with effects and such.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
Meshuggah uses Axe-FX Ultra's for live. Ultra shouldn't sound any different than the Standard. I own the Axe II, but have never used an Ultra or Standard, but from the short time I have had the Axe II it would seem to me like Meshuggah uses a Dual Rectifier setting for their Rhythm tone. That's my best guess, cause it sounds to me closest to what they sound like they use and it's also not too far off considering that's what they used to use when recording their older albums for Rhythm tone. They are a bit more scooped than people seem to think too. Basically a boosted Mesa Dual Rectifier and try a PEQ with low and hi-pass filter, with a decent amount of 500k scoop. In terms of cabs you gotta mess around with what you think sounds right, but I would start with a SM57 Mic and either like a Mesa, Marshall, or German/ENGL cab impulse or try mixing 2 different cabs with a 57 and a Royer R121 or a Sennheiser 421.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Keep in mind, what you hear on stage, amplified through the PA, will by default sound different than what you hear at home though monitors/headphones. Just by being louder it already sounds different.

Best compare to the tone from the Alive DVD, plenty of clips on youtube!

Gilbertsgotbrootz

Reaction score
Keep in mind, what you hear on stage, amplified through the PA, will by default sound different than what you hear at home though monitors/headphones. Just by being louder it already sounds different.

Best compare to the tone from the Alive DVD, plenty of clips on youtube!
Yeah true , but they have such high end pa system it seems like its pretty clear.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
I honestly don't think Meshuggah bring their own PA on tour, I'm sure they use whatever the venue has.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
I think their secret weapon is they don't use stock cab impulses. They have their own impulses and switching cabs makes huge difference in sound.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I think their secret weapon is they don't use stock cab impulses. They have their own impulses and switching cabs makes huge difference in sound.

Yeah I noticed that the Redwirez IR's that I had purchased and loaded into my Axe II were quite a bit better than the generic Redwirez and other impulses that came stock. I am pretty sure they are using IR's made by Jocke Skog that no one else has.

Funz

Reaction score
They are using custom IRs made by Clawfinger (a little birdie told me).

Gilbertsgotbrootz

Reaction score
I hear alot about these cabs ...... There tone is so unique and weird sounding I have discussed it with ola englund quite a bit and he said its really hard to get that dar/fortin tone on a axe fx he has tried ..

')