Meshuggah in Swedish Metal Magazine

• Thread starter nine squares
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nine squares

Reaction score
Yo!

I don´t know if this information of the band can be located elsewhere on this forum and shit but I will take the fall if it allready is.

Anyway, I made my usuall stop at the little "7 eleven"-kinda shop on my way to work and grabbed a copy of Close Up Magazine with Meshuggah in it. It was the regular promoting chats about the new album and so on... But I read something funny about the old song "I" and how they recorded it. Maybe I´m the last to know this even though I´m a long-way-back-fan but what the heck. Tomas actually just played drums out of thin air sort of speak, hit the record button and just fired away. Then afterwards Fredrik sat down and made like hundreds of papers with "one stroke there" and "two strokes there" and worked out the riffs/notes. I know a similar thing was done in the Special Defects album when Ågren was using only the snare and hi-hat making random hits blended with ghostnotes, but this time the whole song was made like this. I just thought you would like to know and I can actually see Mr. Thordendal´s lazy ass sitting down scratching his head going "uhm..." with a big pile of paper, in my head :lol:

and.. I quote: "...and when it was time for Fredrik to record he had placed all the papers on a big big table so he could remember"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
haha yeah they had hinted at that in the past, but never explained in such detail, you can definitely tell that the album was drum based because of the sort of riffing going on, but hey whatever yields a good product is a good system in my mind!

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
That's a really cool way of writing, It feels more natural to write riffs to drums.

Espaul

Reaction score
Nice... I kinda understand it, cause the beginning is impossible to remember :p

If you can play that on a concert, then you're not gonna remember any other songs :D

nine squares

Reaction score
Nice... I kinda understand it, cause the beginning is impossible to remember :p

If you can play that on a concert, then you're not gonna remember any other songs :D

Haha word to that! Tomas talked about that beginning part as well, its actually a mix of him hitting the toms with both sticks and hands. Cool stuff...

Latest posts

')