Meshuggah Megamushthread!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyB724

Reaction score
I was beside myself with joy at the Chicago show last Friday when they played Minds Mirrors -> In Death -> Shed. too perfect.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
Did my workout to the Alive DVD yesterday! The quality of that release never ceases to amaze me! :mf666:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I've been listening to Meshuggah again lately, it's been 4 or 5 years since I last listened to them. Sounds so fresh and heavy again. If I follow my usual pattern, I'll be picking up again around 2018, I wonder what they will sound like then.

On the one hand, I love their music, even if it's something I obviously don't have on regular rotation - I really should try and change that, and on the other I had the cringe-worthy genre they spawned when people tried to copy their style and apply it to other areas. A case of a the crap knockoffs nearly spoiling the real deal for me!

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I've been listening to Meshuggah again lately, it's been 4 or 5 years since I last listened to them. Sounds so fresh and heavy again. If I follow my usual pattern, I'll be picking up again around 2018, I wonder what they will sound like then.

On the one hand, I love their music, even if it's something I obviously don't have on regular rotation - I really should try and change that, and on the other I had the cringe-worthy genre they spawned when people tried to copy their style and apply it to other areas. A case of a the crap knockoffs nearly spoiling the real deal for me!

I think Koloss was one of the best albums yet! who knows where they will be in five years, though to be fair it will sound almost exactly the same, but of a better quality :bowdown:

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
In all honesty, as much as seeing Meshuggah live was something I always wanted to happen and I'm insanely glad I got to see them, they weren't as incredible as I was expecting. They played almost everything I was hoping to hear and their tones were amazing but the performance was lacking. My buddy and I were talking about this earlier that it's about that time where Meshuggah is starting to fall out of their prime performance-wise. They're getting older, losing energy, etc etc.

Overall though, it was a fantastic night, fantastic set, and an incredible show.

anomynous

Reaction score
I'm going to second what JosephAI said. AAL & Intronaut were much more entertaining. Meshuggah just kind of stood there, and after a hour it became fairly boring to watch.

Their performance wasn't bad, but it wasn't the life changing experience it's been hyped to be.

Doug N

Reaction score
I think if you go to a concert expecting a life-changing experience then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
GOT MY TICKET SO EXCITED YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!

Whos going to the vegas date?

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
AAL were perfect. Intronaut were also great although a little hard to make out what they were playing cause I didn't know their songs as well and they have a pretty sludgey sound. Their snare is my favorite I've ever heard though. Meshuggah were spot-on as far as playing, it's just that they were, for lack of a better word, kind of boring.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
I love the lads and have for 17 years, I go to a lot of concerts and have all my life.

However, the only upside about seeing Meshuggah live is how amazingly tight they are, they sound like the album and always have. That aside you have to be fair, when it comes to showing they're the most boring band I've seen more than 5 times in my life :lol:

There is decent energy, sound is often fantastic but yeah, they pretty much just stand there and bang :lol: still love em though, I've seen em do it since I was a kid.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
AAL were perfect. Intronaut were also great although a little hard to make out what they were playing cause I didn't know their songs as well and they have a pretty sludgey sound. Their snare is my favorite I've ever heard though. Meshuggah were spot-on as far as playing, it's just that they were, for lack of a better word, kind of boring.

you make it sound like AAL were climbing cabs and jumping into the crowd. I'm sure their are just as static as meshuggah if not more. maybe meshuggah should wear fedoras?

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
Come on man. I love both bands equally, honestly. I wouldnt know about AAL if i hadnt discovered meshuggah. But what youre saying isnt fair or honest, what joe said is. Shuggah is losing steam, tosin and the gang are picking it up, and its probably to do with the 20 year age gap. Tosin could have worn black pants and a black shirt and played a black guitar and it would have been the same deal. And yall know damn good and well that most people cant play AAL stuff sitting down, much less diving off monitors, same cant be said for meshuggahs material. All due respect, but come on man.

anomynous

Reaction score
you make it sound like AAL were climbing cabs and jumping into the crowd. I'm sure their are just as static as meshuggah if not more. maybe meshuggah should wear fedoras?

This has got to be one of the biggest straw man posts I've ever seen

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score

Tosin, Javier, and Matt all had a lot of energy though. You could see how excited and happy they were and how much fun they were having and that they were really enjoying themselves and getting into the music. I couldn't see anyone but Jens' and Dick's face during Meshuggah and they all stood in one spot just sort of swaying (With the exception of Jens).

Latest posts

')