Meshuggah Megamushthread!!

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
You guys who went to see them and were disappointed need to get drunk next time, then go. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Come on man. I love both bands equally, honestly. I wouldnt know about AAL if i hadnt discovered meshuggah. But what youre saying isnt fair or honest, what joe said is. Shuggah is losing steam, tosin and the gang are picking it up, and its probably to do with the 20 year age gap. Tosin could have worn black pants and a black shirt and played a black guitar and it would have been the same deal. And yall know damn good and well that most people cant play AAL stuff sitting down, much less diving off monitors, same cant be said for meshuggahs material. All due respect, but come on man.

Tosin, Javier, and Matt all had a lot of energy though. You could see how excited and happy they were and how much fun they were having and that they were really enjoying themselves and getting into the music. I couldn't see anyone but Jens' and Dick's face during Meshuggah and they all stood in one spot just sort of swaying (With the exception of Jens).

Were you guys in the pit?
I think Meshuggah's much better live when your smashing into other people, instead of watching the stage.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Were you guys in the pit?
I think Meshuggah's much better live when your smashing into other people, instead of watching the stage.

This...:hbang:

Although I do have to admit I had just as much fun sitting there entranced by In Death is Life and Mind's Mirrors. Some guy in front of me was tripping on acid and was obviously having a blast actually. Can't say I had as much fun as that guy :lol: but still...they were incredible to watch.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I have seen Meshuggah close to 10 times since 2001. Sure, their amount of movement and all out headbanging has decreased greatly over that period, they are getting old and that amount of incessant headbanging alone can take a toll on your body after a decade of pretty much nonstop touring since Nothing came out, but the way they act now on stage definitely goes with the recent music. I think they look just as impressive and imposing standing there and swaying as they unleash audio bricks on your head as they did during DEI when they were headbanging in circles and jumping all over the place, it's just a different kind of energy now.

My honest two cents though, I would be happiest if Meshuggah took a long break after this touring cycle and completely reinvented their sound to reflect their age more, but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
I have seen Meshuggah close to 10 times since 2001. Sure, their amount of movement and all out headbanging has decreased greatly over that period, they are getting old and that amount of incessant headbanging alone can take a toll on your body after a decade of pretty much nonstop touring since Nothing came out, but the way they act now on stage definitely goes with the recent music. I think they look just as impressive and imposing standing there and swaying as they unleash audio bricks on your head as they did during DEI when they were headbanging in circles and jumping all over the place, it's just a different kind of energy now.

This. People forget these dudes are in their mid-late 40s. They're Elder Djentsmen now. :yesway:

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
Saw them last week....one of the best and most tight band I have ever seen. Cannot wait for another new album.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
How would that work?

well I can only answer this as a fan and what I'd want.

I think it's pretty obvious that there is not much new ground they can cover in this style.

If Meshuggah were my personal band that I could order around, I would make them take 3-4 years off after the Kolloss touring cycle is over and just experiment their asses off. Perhaps bring in Jens on guitar again, he's a killer player, tone it down a bit, move it into some type of king crimson-esque territory, experiment with textures, different kinds of vocals, whatever, just make something weird and completely unexpected. It'll obviously end up still sounding like meshuggah, but a new chapter for the band.

I wouldn't want them to be like Dream Theater and sound like they are trying to keep up with the kids, and get further caught up in the cycle of tour/album/tour/album where they are writing the entire album in the studio with looming deadlines. It's a pretty vicious cycle, mentally and physically. And it's not that conducive to the creative spirit.

I'm sure Kolloss would have sounded different too if they had the time as planned to get into the rehearsal room together and jam, but instead, they were chasing deadlines again and just went back into their usual writing process.

I'd love to see Meshuggah at age 60 still weirding people out, moving their musical borders and surprising people with every release like some old, crazy musical scientists.

Of course it's not up to them, they have obligations to the record company, they need to continue touring to support their families, but that's what I would like to see in an ideal world in which I always get what I want :lol:

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score

I think it's pretty obvious that there is not much new ground they can cover in this style.

If Meshuggah were my personal band that I could order around, I would make them take 3-4 years off after the Kolloss touring cycle is over and just experiment their asses off. Perhaps bring in Jens on guitar again, he's a killer player, tone it down a bit, move it into some type of king crimson-esque territory, experiment with textures, different kinds of vocals, whatever, just make something weird and completely unexpected. It'll obviously end up still sounding like meshuggah, but a new chapter for the band.

I wouldn't want them to be like Dream Theater and sound like they are trying to keep up with the kids, and get further caught up in the cycle of tour/album/tour/album where they are writing the entire album in the studio with looming deadlines. It's a pretty vicious cycle, mentally and physically. And it's not that conducive to the creative spirit.

I'm sure Kolloss would have sounded different too if they had the time as planned to get into the rehearsal room together and jam, but instead, they were chasing deadlines again and just went back into their usual writing process.

I'd love to see Meshuggah at age 60 still weirding people out, moving their musical borders and surprising people with every release like some old, crazy musical scientists.

Of course it's not up to them, they have obligations to the record company, they need to continue touring to support their families, but that's what I would like to see in an ideal world in which I always get what I want :lol:

Fredrik said he'd been listening to Cult of luna before Kolloss broke, maybe Meshuggah might have a go at post-metal instead of Djent?

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
AAL were perfect. Intronaut were also great although a little hard to make out what they were playing cause I didn't know their songs as well and they have a pretty sludgey sound. Their snare is my favorite I've ever heard though. Meshuggah were spot-on as far as playing, it's just that they were, for lack of a better word, kind of boring.
I agree, they where in fact, a little too tight for my liking, it was like listening to a cd playlist REALLY REALLY loud, not to mention the lack of intensity on stage...It was pretty boring. Also getting my ribs crushed in while in the front row didn't make it too fun either. Everyone is trying to push forward, ruins the show.

Igotsoul4u

Reaction score
I don't mind the vibe on stage. Part of what is so crazy is the furious sound and the stoic huge swedish dudes on the stage. I also didn't think AAL moved around except for the drummer who is relying on youth and testosterone to wake the drums as hard as he does. He won't be able to play that way for very long.

Igotsoul4u

Reaction score

Perhaps bring in Jens on guitar again, he's a killer player, tone it down a bit, move it into some type of king crimson-esque territory, experiment with textures, different kinds of vocals, whatever, just make something weird and completely unexpected. It'll obviously end up still sounding like meshuggah, but a new chapter for the band.

I agree but for me meshuggah is like pizza, I will never get sick of having it every friday night.

WildBroskiAppears

Reaction score
I don't mind the vibe on stage. Part of what is so crazy is the furious sound and the stoic huge swedish dudes on the stage. I also didn't think AAL moved around except for the drummer who is relying on youth and testosterone to wake the drums as hard as he does. He won't be able to play that way for very long.

Tell that to Abe Cunningham :cool:

valder

Reaction score
expecting them to have some intense/ridiculous stage presence would be not only asking too much, but I also think it would be missing the point of their music entirely.

Watching Fredrick stare blankly into the crowd while vaguely swaying his body to the pulse was one of the greatest things I've experienced at a show. I don't need crazy stage antics to get fully immersed in the experience.

Then again, I dont think one should mosh at a Meshuggah show, but that's just me. They're music evokes a trance like state in me that just isnt consistent with aggression or rowdy moshing.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
are there any good online tutorials on how to integrate cubase and the axe fx to change your patches automatically like that?

Latest posts

')